Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popular Open chamberings?

Dranoel

Before my job got in the way of competing there were some new cartridges hitting the scene. I remember 9x22, 9x23, a 40S&W necked down to 9mm, and 38 super was still the most popular choice,

Just wondering if anyone is still using any of those, and if not what is the popular round now?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowadays, the most popular calibers in Open would probably be, (in no particular order), .38 Super, .38 SuperComp, and 9mm Major.

The 9x21, 9x23, etc. were attempts to make a rimless round in .355 caliber, (as opposed to the rimmed and semi-rimmed .38S and .38SC.)
Since USPSA lowered the power factor from 175 to 165, and now that powder formulations have improved, you can make major with a standard 9x19 fairly easily, so the wildcat rounds are no longer popular. 9mm brass is cheap and plentiful, and even .38S or .38SC is easier to find that the oddball 9x21 and 9x23, so why would you want to run those?

@ Parallax: Not so much that I WANTED to run one of those, more just wondering if they were still around or if anyone even remembered them. That and knowing what is popular right now helps me down the road when I can build a second gun just for Open class. Right now I'm kinda stuck with making one gun work for bowling pins, steel, and jump and run matches. So that means a .45 for pins and I can make it work for the rest for now. I had thought a 10mm barrel might be a better compromise if I got a second barrel springs and mags for .40S&W. But after a lot of searching just wasn't finding a lot of barrel options that appealed to me and I really don't trust a 9mm for pins.

A year from now I may get another frame and slide and build a 9 or 38s/sc. But even building them myself it still costs a lot.

BTW: I am assuming .38sc is just a stronger case for .38 super?

The 38 Super Comp (SC) is a rimless version of the 38 Super, though it has a "mini" rim. Brass strength is relative. The Starline SC is likely stronger than Remington/WInchester/Federal 38 Super +P, but probably not stronger than Starline's 38 Super +P in my experience (not sure about Starline's "regular' 38 Super).

BTW: I am assuming .38sc is just a stronger case for .38 super?

.38 Super is a rimmed case. .38 SuperComp is sem-rimmed, (rim only extends .beyond the case 0.003 - 0.004 per side, as opposed to 0.007 - 0.009 for the .38 Super.) Other than the case rim, they are identical. Just like the 9x21 and 9x23, it was an attempt at a .355 caliber round that fed better than the .38 Super, and still made major.

Edited by Parallax3D

necked down 40 to 9mm is what is now known as 357 sig. You lose mag capacity with anything bigger around than 9mm/38.

Also another vote for 38 being on the way out. 9MAJOR is what EVERYBODY wants to shoot but they just won't admit it! :sight::roflol:

I built a 357 sig (running necked down 40 brass) glock because I like to be weird, it does give up capacity to the 9/38 guys but on the up side I get people handing me bags of my brass back at almost every match, they sort it out from their 40's and give it to me because they know where it came from. the other upside I found more recently is it will make major with darn near any pistol powder you want. Not saying its a better but it can be fun.

Mike

There is also 38SC (Short Colt), not to be confused with 38SC (Super Comp). The Short Colt is a rimmed revolver case that has the exact same length and volume as a 9mm. It is the current 9mm of revolvers, used in .38 Special or 357 mag. chambers until some real 9mm revolvers become available.

I talked to Mike about his 357 SIG load at a match a short time ago. My recollection is that he is running well over 10 grains of Blue Dot behind a 125 grain MG bullet. I do know that spectators and RO's (especially) tend to stand back a bit when Mike is shooting that load through his Glock. :devil: Mike can chime in here with his exact load, but I am sure of the Blue Dot powder.

Ditto. I have never heard anyone say they run 9mm because it is more accurate, faster, more reliable or flatter shooting. I have only heard people say they run it because brass is cheaper. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just don't see any reason to change my Supers.

The 2011 frames and mag were designed for 38 super. 38 super and super comp are still the best to run in a 2011 frame.

Only because of cost 9mm major became popular.

Ditto. I have never heard anyone say they run 9mm because it is more accurate, faster, more reliable or flatter shooting. I have only heard people say they run it because brass is cheaper. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just don't see any reason to change my Supers.

Hogwash! Its the Indian, not the arrow.

I just watched K.C. Escubio kick everyone's butt at Area 5 with a 9mm Glock open gun.

I'm assuming a ramped barrel is still required for .38 super major? And for 9mm as well?

Yes. Yes.

You can make Major with the 38 Super with heavier bullet weights and some powders and still remain within SAAMI specs, but for light bullets and the majority of powders that people use the pressure will exceed SAAMI specs and full case support is required.

The 2011 and mag were designed for 38 super. 38 super and super comp are still the best to run in a 2011 frame.

Only because of cost 9mm major became popular.

Hogwash! Its the Indian, not the arrow.

I just watched K.C. Escubio kick everyone's butt at Area 5 with a 9mm Glock open gun.

I was referring to 2011 frames not all open guns!

You need adapters for your STI and SV 2011 mags. If the 2011 was designed for 9mm no adapters would be needed.

Since the PF was dropped a lot of 9mm guns have become open race guns.

I was referring to 2011 frames not all open guns!

You need adapters for your STI and SV 2011 mags. If the 2011 was designed for 9mm no adapters would be needed.

Since the PF was dropped a lot of 9mm guns have become open race guns.

No, actually you don't need adapters to run 9mm in STI and SV mags, you just need to load the rounds longer, (which most people do anyway.)

The fact as to whether the 2011 was designed for .38 Super is immaterial.

Mike,

What load are you running? in theory you should be able to get much more gas to the comp than 9x19 right?

Until recently I was running 10.5 get of blue dot behind a Montana gold 115 jhp then I ran out if power so now I am running long shot at I think 9.7 grains at 170ish power factor. I need to bump that load up some as it is not working the comp as well.

It does a pretty good job taming the recoil as it has less than my regular 9 mm minor in a G17

Mike,

What load are you running? in theory you should be able to get much more gas to the comp than 9x19 right?

Until recently I was running 10.5 get of blue dot behind a Montana gold 115 jhp then I ran out if power so now I am running long shot at I think 9.7 grains at 170ish power factor. I need to bump that load up some as it is not working the comp as well.

It does a pretty good job taming the recoil as it has less than my regular 9 mm minor in a G17

Careful with the Longshot. I've heard that beyond a certain point, you don't get any more performance, just lots of unburnt powder.