Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers, firing pin and spring choices

waktasz

Earlier this year I switched from Glocks to 2011s. I traded off my stash of Federal primers for a good bit more CCI primers from a desperate friend.

I picked up a stock 2 .40 two weeks ago and it has a 13# hammer spring, the Extreme firing pin and Delta hammer. I get one or two light strikes per 100 rounds. I have a 14# spring on order but is there anything else I can do? I thought I read somewhere about the firing pin safety sometimes dragging on the pin. How do I check for that?

Thanks!

I took a bit off of that but I don't know how much I can do. I have 3 spares in case I ruin one I guess, but those are the extra power ones from Wolff which is going in the wrong direction

i had extra as well. what i did was kept cutting it little by little and pushed the firing pin in still it get stuck then cut another one just a little longer

Edited by Kahai808

You would be amazed at how much difference polishing up the firing pin block makes. Also, look at the "lug" on the firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from going forward. Most of them are a tiny bit too long/big and the stock hammer spring just powers the firing pin past it. If the very tip has peening or mushrooming on it, then you need to stone off a tiny bit until it clears.

should I just not expect to be able to use CCI primers and a 13# spring? I do have a 14 pounder on the way but if I can keep the trigger how it is right now I'd prefer that.

CCI Primers are quite a bit harder than Federal primers. The only time I was able to get reliable ignition of CCI primers when using a 13lb hammer spring is when using an extended firing pin. With a standard length firing pin you will have to use a heavier hammer spring to get reliable ignition of CCI primers.

I think that Eric Graufell sells an extended firing pin that also retains the firing pin block functionality. Maybe that is an option for you?

He stated he has the Xtreme firing pin (longer pin that allows use of the FPB).

I mentioned this before in another thread, but I would run a 14lb spring with 1 coil cut off myself. You get less stacking at the end of the DA, but you end up with a little more power than a 13lb spring. But know that the Wolff springs differ a lot in length, and maybe weight also.

The Xtreme pin didn't seem all that much longer to me, at least by my eyeball. It is heavier than stock though. I have a Henning pin on the way and a 3 pack of 14 pound springs that should be here today so I'll try your suggestions. Thanks

Doing the pencil test, my cut down 14lb spring (one coil removed) was slightly less powerful than the stock 13lb spring but smoother and with less stacking in DA. I'll be testing the reliability at the range Friday. Also testing if super-cleaned and swaged brass will make a difference.

I've been cutting down the FP spring without it getting stuck yet... about how much shorter are we talking about when it gets stuck? I'm past 1" cut down on a Wolff spring.

One thing to keep in mind when cutting coils off the firing pin spring is that it can also cause lite strikes when shooting really fast because the snapping forward of the slide causes the firing pin to bounce forward. If the hammer hits the back of the firing pin during this slightly bounced forward condition it will lead to a lite strike. You might run into this issue at or below .20 splits. So make sure you test it out with some fast shooting as well.

I wish some one would put out a kit together for these guns . I have been trying to spec all the right parts\springs for my Limited pro . I can't find one on hennings or Ben's sight or the right kit from wollf either .

Doing the pencil test, my cut down 14lb spring (one coil removed) was slightly less powerful than the stock 13lb spring but smoother and with less stacking in DA. I'll be testing the reliability at the range Friday. Also testing if super-cleaned and swaged brass will make a difference.

I've been cutting down the FP spring without it getting stuck yet... about how much shorter are we talking about when it gets stuck? I'm past 1" cut down on a Wolff spring.

dont cut off too much. if its reliable then just leave it lol

Federal primers are your friend when it comes to a tuned Tanfoglio in my opinion. I think the 14# hammer spring with a coil cut is a good choice as it seems to give my Stock II just a tad more power than the 13# spring yet still can keep a good trigger pull weight. I think the best thing is just try different combinations and test fire them and go with reliablility first then do what you can to lighten the trigger pull

Yeah the inconsistency in the Wolff springs makes is hard to give a general reccomendation. I have some 14's with a full coil cut off that strike as good as the one 14lb I didn't have to cut.

What I usually do it put the spring in, and see how much binding there is when you pull the hammer all the way until it bottoms out. If it can't bottom out, then I take the last coil off (the one with little gap to the next coil). If its close to bottoming out, or bottoms with some binding, I take a 1/2 off. I put it back in, test fire on a primed case and check the strike depth.

Remember you can always take more off if you take off too little.. ;)

dont cut off too much. if its reliable then just leave it lol

Fix it till it's broke! I gotta order more springs... mine seem to have shrunk too much in the wash.

The Xtreme pin didn't seem all that much longer to me, at least by my eyeball. It is heavier than stock though. I have a Henning pin on the way and a 3 pack of 14 pound springs that should be here today so I'll try your suggestions. Thanks

yes the difference between a standard length firing pin and an 'extended' pin is very little. we are talking tiny amounts longer here. I would say the extreme pin will work just as well as the henning pin.

Earlier this year I switched from Glocks to 2011s. I traded off my stash of Federal primers for a good bit more CCI primers from a desperate friend.I picked up a stock 2 .40 two weeks ago and it has a 13# hammer spring, the Extreme firing pin and Delta hammer. I get one or two light strikes per 100 rounds. I have a 14# spring on order but is there anything else I can do? I thought I read somewhere about the firing pin safety sometimes dragging on the pin. How do I check for that?Thanks!

Make the firing pin safety black with a felt pen. Dry fire a bunch if times. Remove the fps and inspect it to see if and where the fps is rubbing on the firing pin.