Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers, firing pin and spring choices

waktasz

I have no problems igniting CCI or Winchester large primers with a cut 14 and the Xtreme firing pin. I haven't tried any .45 small primer cares yet.

DA or SA? Wait, I see it's Large Primer... those are easier to set off than Small aren't they?

Oddly enough Tula and S&B were 100% today. CCI were only 80%. So far I only trust Federals when it counts.

Going to try the FP block test w/sharpie and make 100 each instead of 20 of S&B and Tula to try again. Half swaged/wet tumbled and half normal corncob tumbled.

Swaging and wet tumbling the cases did seem to increase reliability, and certainly improved primer seating on my 650. Honestly though, it would be easier to just get a job at McDonalds to afford Federals than do that to all the 9mm I load.

I also tried 6lb. 7lb, and 8lb recoil springs out. Don't really like the 6 or 7. 9 still seems best to me. 8 is no real difference I can feel. All were reliable.

I would think that combination should be able to handle most anything,

However , to be sure , I would get the hardest primers you might end up having to use, in case you run out of your normal load combination, make sure they are seated properly , ( not too high ) and test several hundred rounds to be sure you won't have any issues. This way you'll be able to sleep at night.

The best of luck.

How hard so you push when you seat your printers Twinkie?

Oh, hard as the press can go. Rocked the press and bench back at times. No problem seating them, IMO. Maybe too much crud in the pockets but no lack of force seating them. I recently got the Dillon alignment tool and fixed my press which was getting out of alignment. That was getting to be a problem in ruining a lot of primers. No problems any more.

Had a chance to shoot on a match that Eric G participated here in Canada this weekend and got some new factory hammer springs and firing pin springs from him. The new hammer spring seam to be very similar to wolf 13 lb in length but the wire was thinner compare to wolf about 0.028 diameter according to my caliber .The firing pin spring was a shorter version of the original factory one. Later today I noticed that they were also available on his online shop. Installed a set on my stock 2 and seam to be very similar to what I was getting using wolf springs, I guess the benefit with it is the legality of parts used in production division.

Edited by babo_al

14# spring with a coil cut off seems to have fixed it...although I've only shot about 100 rounds that way but without any light strikes.

The Henning pin gets stuck inside the gun when dry firing even with a new Wolf extra power spring. Not sure what that's about but I guess I'll have to return it.

14# spring with a coil cut off seems to have fixed it...although I've only shot about 100 rounds that way but without any light strikes.

The Henning pin gets stuck inside the gun when dry firing even with a new Wolf extra power spring. Not sure what that's about but I guess I'll have to return it.

How far is the pin protruding past the breech face when its stuck? 1/16" or longer? You might just have a burr inside the firing pin channel.

You mean stack a piece of the old spring in there? My Extreme pin works fine with a cut firing pin spring. This pin needs extra spring to keep it from getting weird? Silly italian guns!

You mean stack a piece of the old spring in there? My Extreme pin works fine with a cut firing pin spring. This pin needs extra spring to keep it from getting weird? Silly italian guns!

If you lay a pile of factory firing pin springs down side by side you'll notice that there is a great degree of variation between spring length. Because of this you can't just say "take factory spring and cut X number of coils and it's goot to go". Furthermore, when you clip a new spring down to the edge and then that spring sets/settles, it's often then too short. I've seen as much as 1/4" difference in a batch of springs between the longest and shortest spring in the batch.

I'm trying to get the xtreme springs in a gun and test them this week. I will say that in the 50 sets of medium and 50 sets of light xtreme springs I got, they are all with in a 1/16" or less in length variation at the max. 95% are 1/32" or less. Seems the Xtreme springs are much more uniformally made.

If the pin travels too far forward it will get stuck in the hole.

I´ve installed new Xtreme light hammer ( 13,5 lbs ) and firing pin springs with Xtreme firing pin on my S2, I´m going to the range today, I´ll let you know how it went...

so this setup is not working with Fiocchi primers, ignition is 50-60%, medium springs are working ok but there is a big difference in trigger pull :(

Eric told me he tryed CCI, Federal and Winchester primer with light springs and it was ok...

i run a 13lbs hammer spring, EG firing pin and i but a coil off the firing pin spring. i have lit off CCI, WIN, and Fed. i did notice once i got a lot of dry fire and rounds down it would start to light strike the CCI's. so i just use federals now just to make sure it goes bang everytime.

I use a Henning extended firing pin with a full length FP spring. EG Extreme hammer with a long sear. 14# hammer spring. This set up in in both my Stock 2's 9mm. Everything is polished. Winchester primers in practice may get 1 light strike out of 500. Only Federal primers in matches though to be safe. I tried all the combos out there and this set up has been the most reliable.

Edited by doc88

I´ve installed new Xtreme light hammer ( 13,5 lbs ) and firing pin springs with Xtreme firing pin on my S2, I´m going to the range today, I´ll let you know how it went...

so this setup is not working with Fiocchi primers, ignition is 50-60%, medium springs are working ok but there is a big difference in trigger pull :(

Eric told me he tryed CCI, Federal and Winchester primer with light springs and it was ok...

so I´ve tryed with CCI and Murom primers, much bettter but still one or two light strikes out of 100, unexcebtable :), I went to medium setup and it works 100%...

I still think like some others have said on here that if you want to keep a light trigger setup use Winchester, CCI, etc primers for practice and accept a few light strikes but go to Federal primers for matches. Do have a practice session with Federals to make sure you're 100% igniting. I know this is sort of a pain to have to load different primers. It's the only thing that has worked for me so that I can keep a 6# DA and a 3# SA pull on my S2.