Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide on a DEFINITE Div/Gun...maybe

Status: Unclassified. I shoot 4-5 local, club matches a year (job prevents doing more). Train/shoot every other day when home and most of the time, every 3-4 days when working.

Local clubs don't to IPSC, only do USPSA.

I am not focused on getting to a certain level- my job schedule (I don't have a schedule, I simply go to work on a call-out basis, and stay out there for 7 to 40 days) precludes being able to sign up for any large or non-club matches, so I simply want to become a better shooter, and USPSA and steel matches at the local level have been productive to that end.

In 3 years, I've shot about 1/3rd of my USPSA matches with 1911s in SS, 1/3rd with an XD45 in Prod, and 1/3rd with an USP45 in prod, then Limited.

The last 6 months I've shot all but one match with the HK in Limited... but I find myself wanting to shoot my next match with the Brazos Customs 2011 in .38super that I just bought.

I know I'm never going to make GM, or even M (I'm 49 and simply can't see it happening), but I DO want to continue to improve...

Is this schizophrenia hurting me? Do I NEED to stick to one gun/division? I LOVE 1911s, but don't/won't EDC one. HKs/XDs I do/will.

If I am reading this right you just bought a Brazos gun. Go shoot it! Have fun!

Why keep a gun like that on the shelf? Get a good load worked up, dry fire, and run it like you stole it.

I like Single Stack myself because that's what I carry all the time so why not train on it. I like limited as well and Production alot has to do with how much you want to spend shooting and what is cheaper to reload/purchase etc.. and what division you like the best.

I shoot 4 different divisions with 3 different guns. SS with a 1911, Ltd with a .40SW 2011, L-10 either with the 1911 or 2011, and Prod with Glock 34. I figure if I own them I might as well maintain a certain level of proficiency with each of them. I also like to change it up for the variety and how the stage planning differs between Limited and the lower capacity divisions, but then again I don't switch every match. I typically have something resembling a plan for when I shoot each division, which usually has something to do with the division I registered to shoot in the upcoming major match. So usually for about a month or two prior I switch to that division.

Do what makes you happy. The only downside I can see to shooting the .38Super Brazos gun in Limited or L-10 would be the minor scoring.

Excellent. Thanks!

I'm not close to any of the shooters in this area: They're all very friendly and helpful at matches, I just haven't had the time/ability to befriend them and extend that advice to non-matches, so the advice here is VERY appreciated.

The problem with the Brazos 2011 is that it's .38 super, which means minor scoring (if you care at all!). It won't run in production because it's SA, it's not a single stack and well, it's not a revolver. So Limited, Limited 10 or Open. In L/L10, it's not a .40 so it'll be scored minor, which isn't really that bad for fun. It would make a good open gun if it had a compensator and optics. So ... if you want to shoot it, and it would be a waste not to, then Limited or Limited 10... and since it's a 2011, why waste the double stack goodness? So ... I suggest Limited Minor.

FYI, I've shot 2 matches in 2 years due to ... having 6 year old twins. I tried a bunch of divisions back in the day, never actually getting classified in any of them. I used fancy shmancied SP-01 and a 1911 with 10 round mags for L-10 (ha ha!). But since I'm so newbie-ish, I decided to shoot the humble stock (well almost stock, I changed the sights and the barrel for lead) Glock 34 in production because, believe it or not, I kind of like reloading after 10 rounds, and I like that the gun is mostly stock, and reliable. If I get good at this ever, I'll join the equipment race.

Oh and since I shoot so rarely, I've actually considered just using my revolver since I won't be competitive anyway, might as well do it for the pure joy of doing it, right?

BTW, 49 is not old in this sport, you can still get very good at this. There are older folks than you who started fairly recently and do OK. Maybe not as fast ast the 20 year olds, but they can't afford Custom Brazos 2011 either! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Pick one and stick with it. It eliminates a lot of variables that can get in the way of your performance. Get that one reliable and familiar and then you can just focus on your shooting.

It sounds like you just want to have fun with this. I too shoot 3 different guns classified in just one. 58 yrs young shooting for a year now just love the outing. Fortunately one of the local clubs shoot the match twice so I can shoot 2 classes. Just enjoy your time

If it was me, I'd shoot the 2011 in Limited, the 1911 in Single Stack. The XD and USP I'd shoot in Limited/Limited10 to avoid the Production "everybody scored minor" penalty. Even better, find some IDPA matches to exercise the .45's in for a change of pace.

BTW the Brazos 2011 in 38 Super is an OPEN gun and will score MAJOR if you load it to a 165 or higher PF.

I stand corrected, I thought there was a minimum bullet diameter for major vs minor but I I see that it applied to Limited Div, but not Open Div.

Last Sunday, I was home and shot Limited with my Xdm 45... I wanted to shoot Limited that day because my cousin and his son came with me to the match-their first ever-, and I wanted us to all shoot in the same class...

The next match I make I'll be shooting the Brazos in Open, loaded for Major.

And thanks for the advice, guys. I'm going to shoot whatever I happen to feel like on the day of a match. I'm going to enjoy this as much as possible, and just roll with it. I think that whatever I shoot, it' sgoing to help me improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Status: Unclassified. I shoot 4-5 local, club matches a year (job prevents doing more). Train/shoot every other day when home and most of the time, every 3-4 days when working.

Local clubs don't to IPSC, only do USPSA.

I am not focused on getting to a certain level- my job schedule (I don't have a schedule, I simply go to work on a call-out basis, and stay out there for 7 to 40 days) precludes being able to sign up for any large or non-club matches, so I simply want to become a better shooter, and USPSA and steel matches at the local level have been productive to that end.

In 3 years, I've shot about 1/3rd of my USPSA matches with 1911s in SS, 1/3rd with an XD45 in Prod, and 1/3rd with an USP45 in prod, then Limited.

The last 6 months I've shot all but one match with the HK in Limited... but I find myself wanting to shoot my next match with the Brazos Customs 2011 in .38super that I just bought.

I know I'm never going to make GM, or even M (I'm 49 and simply can't see it happening), but I DO want to continue to improve...

Is this schizophrenia hurting me? Do I NEED to stick to one gun/division? I LOVE 1911s, but don't/won't EDC one. HKs/XDs I do/will.

Sounds like myself, as far as the Job..on call 24/7 and never know if the job will be 4 days or 4 weeks...Well Testing.

yes, shooting multiple guns and multiple divisions is hurting you ...

however, it doesn't sound like you have any lofty goals so why worry about it? just go shoot whatever guns you like ...

HOWEVER, if you are actually serious about getting better, and only you can define what you actually mean when you say "I want to get better", then you should stick to one gun in one division to see improvements ...

yes, shooting multiple guns and multiple divisions is hurting you ...

however, it doesn't sound like you have any lofty goals so why worry about it? just go shoot whatever guns you like ...

HOWEVER, if you are actually serious about getting better, and only you can define what you actually mean when you say "I want to get better", then you should stick to one gun in one division to see improvements ...

Though there's nothing wrong with shooting multiple guns in multiple division, you hit the nail on the head. When i first started shooting USPSA, I wanted to shoot as many division as possible and realized I wasn't really focused.

Right now I'm shooting LTD with an STI edge in 40S&W. I currently have an open gun getting worked on and once I get that back, I'm going to focus on open and get another STI slide and barrel fitted for 9mm so that I can use it in 3 gun. My future goal/plan is to be able to get an xl 650 and reload 9mm, major and minor

Local guy in my area made master in production early this year was over 50, I'm about same age as you and have hope to hit M someday. Look at Nimitz thread for inspiration towards hitting GM as a 50+ ( http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=178595&hl= ). I think the thing that is easier for 'us' than the younger folks, is maybe being able to enjoy the process of getting there a little more, however long it takes, vs some of the younger folks who maybe a little more impatient and more goal oriented (success only when hitting certain rating) than process focused ( enjoying the the trip as well as destination). ... at least that is how I don't worry about how fast I progress vs the ones who are 20 years younger :-)

Local guy in my area made master in production early this year was over 50, I'm about same age as you and have hope to hit M someday. Look at Nimitz thread for inspiration towards hitting GM as a 50+ ( http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=178595&hl= ). I think the thing that is easier for 'us' than the younger folks, is maybe being able to enjoy the process of getting there a little more, however long it takes, vs some of the younger folks who maybe a little more impatient and more goal oriented (success only when hitting certain rating) than process focused ( enjoying the the trip as well as destination). ... at least that is how I don't worry about how fast I progress vs the ones who are 20 years younger :-)

I shot my first pistol match ever (USPSA) a few Sundays ago..I still am not too familiar with the scoring/classification processes, but my squad's R.O. in that first match kept giving me pointers and tips on focus, things like "imagine standing on the seashore...close your eyes and listen to the waves..breathe".." Shooter Make Ready"..This guy was alot older than me (I am 45) and funny as heck, laughing and having a good time with everyone. I saw guys on other squads sponsored by some fine outfits like Akai Customs, CZ USA, etc..

I came in next to last place overall (18 mikes). I want to say that I left there honored to feel so welcomed and just be in the presence of so many fine shooters..some true world champs.

I never worried about scores or timing until I looked at the results online that night, googled some names..whoa! It did not seem like my R.O. shot fast or anything like his competitors, but looking back on a vid I made of one of our stages, the guy seemed to do a ballet...just a fluid, seamless run. Grand Master Don took all the match points that day, winning overall.. not the fastest, but the surest. Do not let your age define your abilities in this sport.

Edited by Quackhead

I am very late starting this game 58. I just enjoy it. Still unclassified but enjoy the camaraderie. I enjoy reloading so its a win win for me even when im the last name on the score sheet