Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 or gen 4 17

bodene 5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Gen 4's because I have small hands and the grip without the back strap fits my hand. I have a 17 and 35 I shoot regularly and have had zero problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you happy with your 3? If so, keep it. I personally believe the gen 3 17 is the best 9mm pistol ever made. Seems the gen 4 with the dual recoil spring was designed around the 40 cal and they had some problems getting the 9mm to work with the DRS

Edited by ron169

I picked up a Gen 3 in Dark Earth and love it. I have it tricked out with warren tactical sights, stainless guide rod and Johnny boss trigger in it. Gen 3 for me, I am personally not a fan of the dual spring set up just my 2 cents

I guess irrelevant is too strong a word? Maybe "almost irrelevant" is better?

I understand what the differences are and they are all personal preference

They don't actually make the gun any more accurate / reliable / shootable so what's it matter?

First the original question is

Which one do you like better

So its a matter of personal preference and the question should be to the OP - "which one do YOU like better?"

Second, the Gen 4 is the same caliber, weight, trigger mechanic, reliability, accuracy potential, essentially the same gun as the Gen 3 pistol with no significant improvements in platform or design.

Third, the minor differences that do exist aren't competitive advantages, they're just different

Dual spring - supposedly flatter shooting but never noticed it and it's irrelevant if the gun is already tracking consistently low during recoil for those quick follow up shots

Different magazine release - wider but not as high so more personal preference on what's easier to hit, personally I would like to have something wide & high but Glock hasn't made a super oversized gen 4 release to date

Grip texture - grip texture being another personal preference of what is "just right" so yeah its more grippy than a Gen 3 but not grippy enough so many people still use grip tape

Backstraps - different sizes for comfort (more personal preference to be answered by each individual end user)

If there was something in the Gen 4 line of pistols that made them more accurate, more reliable, or more shootable (recoil for example) - then I'd probably have a different opinion.

But really the only thing that I see is a reversible magazine catch for left handed shooters, so only "mostly irrelevant" changes when it comes to actually shooting,.

I have a lot of Gen 2 and 3's. When I recently purchased a G34 to dedicate to 3 gun, I went with another Gen 3.

I think the dimple on the Gen 4 trigger bar is a solution to a problem that does not exist and is correctable. There is more aftermarket support for the Gen 3's I understand as well.

I like the grip texture on the Gen 4. I think they got the RSA issue corrected on the 9's now. The Gen 3 gun are more than proven. Not sure about the Gen 4's YET, maybe.

Gen 4 and some are aware that the Gen 4 has a better lockup and is slightly more accurate. Some are not aware of this yet.

This should not be the case anymore. The tighter tolerances were rolled out in the Gen 4 barrels, but the latest Gen 3s should be the same.

Gen 4 and some are aware that the Gen 4 has a better lockup and is slightly more accurate. Some are not aware of this yet.

So a gen 3 can hold a 3 inch group from a bench at 25 yards with a good load, how much better is a gen 4? With custom work either can get a little better, but out of the box... Where are you seeing a significant difference in accuracy?

I think the biggest difference, for me personally, when it comes down to it... Is the magazine release. I am a 100% ESP/Limited shooter...

So grip size/texture- frame reduction/Stippling

Recoil Spring- replaced with Stainless

But that magazine release... IMHO, Gen4 takes the cake. I have two G3/35's, and also a G4/35... Too much money into the G3's to sell them, but I will definitely upgrade within the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gen 4 vote here. I like the mag release and the options for grip. The grip texture is also better IMO. As far as accuracy and performance goes I don't necessarily think one is better than the other

So a gen 3 can hold a 3 inch group from a bench at 25 yards with a good load, how much better is a gen 4? With custom work either can get a little better, but out of the box... Where are you seeing a significant difference in accuracy?

Some well known shooters and trainers are stating the same thing I have seen about the Gen 4 having a better lockup and shooting tighter groups than the Gen 3 Glocks. At least one Gunsmith that does accurizing on Glocks said the same thing.

Edited by JBP55

I have seen multiple claims of this on enos threads but seen no actual evidence of it so I'm interested in details. Who said what and when, what gunsmith, and are the loads optimized for each gun? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want numbers and details. My own experience has not yielded those results and so I'm interested to talk to someone who's figured it out.

I have seen multiple claims of this on enos threads but seen no actual evidence of it so I'm interested in details. Who said what and when, what gunsmith, and are the loads optimized for each gun? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want numbers and details. My own experience has not yielded those results and so I'm interested to talk to someone who's figured it out.

Ask Gunsmith Bill Springfield and Dr. Gary Roberts. You should know who they are.