Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot mount @ 90% any issues?

IHMSA15151

I'm thinking of switching the C-more on my STI Steelmaster to a 90% mount for better clearance of the ejection port. Once in a while I get a case that jams between the bottom of the mount and the slide. Are there any issues I should know about or anything that will be drastically different with sight picture, handling, etc. if I switch mounts?

Some don't like the looks(me for one) and some say they throw the balance off and obscure the left side of the gun when transitioning. Other than that they are a sure fire way to cure ejection issues and the dot is much lower to the slide which decreases the parallax issue

Yup. Have a SteelMaster with the 90. Much lower which is nice and have never had a single jam with it.

I personally like the looks of it better than a normal mount, but thats obviously not a performance issue.

I have noticed that it blocks the vision on the left side a little, but primarily on close targets in Steel Challenge. Havent noticed it with USPSA type matches though.

Not themost experienced with an open gun, but thats what i have noticed.

Thanks for the info guys. My first thought was that the lens would get dirty faster, as the blast shield would only cover one side. Does anyone make a slightly higher mount? I know it's better to have the sight as low as possible but I'd live with a little more height if it got rid of my jams. Would an extra 1/2" of height make that much difference?

Have a 90 degree mount and loving it lower dot, easier sight picture, less difference between far and close shots , and if you shoot with both eyes open

it dont block your view ( looks like you see right trough it ) .

Never will go back to a "normal "upright mount .

Hello: The lens does not get dirtier than a standard mount. I use a Cheely setback mount and it works great. It also does not get in the way if you shoot with both eyes open. As for the balance thrown off--WTF? If you shoot iron and a dot the 90 degree mount is the way to go. It makes shooting open an easier transition from iron sights. Thanks, Eric

I put a 90 degree Cheely setback on my Steelmaster, along with a DAA thumb rest. Its probably the best thing I ever did. I'm wanting to put on on my IMM Open now too.

Advantages:

-It improves reliability... no more of those occasional cases bouncing back into the ejection port.

-It put the dot lower to the barrel axis. I like how your not looking over the gun as high, which has been great for me. Cause I also shoot IDPA and carry with iron sighted guns. I also find with shooting over low walls, or thru weird ports, or over those wonderful blue plastic barrels that your bullets like to bounce off of, its easier to deal with.

-It cured my issue where powder blast was hitting the top 1/3rd of my lens, no NO powder residue gets on the lens...

-Its way easier to get under your gun on barrel and table starts...

-Myths busted....I don't feel any difference in "balance." I was told by several people (non who ever shot with one, ironically) that it would block my view left of the gun. That turned out to be untrue. Actually I don't see the mount or the sight body itself at all. All I see when I press out are targets and a dot.

Disadvantages:

-Its not "traditional" so people look at you funny and say things behind your back..... not really, that was actually a joke.

-It may have issues on guns with popples close to the optic, but I don't have any way to test that.

-It may or may not work with your slide racker... so you might have to move it to the right side of your gun.

I have seen some reporting not able to keep a zero. This may or may not be because of the 90 degree mount. It is torquing the frame of the C-More differently than it was designed. I wonder if the aluminum version would be better. Hopefully someone with first hand experience can comment on this.

I have seen some reporting not able to keep a zero. This may or may not be because of the 90 degree mount. It is torquing the frame of the C-More differently than it was designed. I wonder if the aluminum version would be better. Hopefully someone with first hand experience can comment on this.

Running major pf thru a steel master is brutal... I've dropped the gun too... yet to loose zero thus far. Loosing zero doesn't have anything to do with the mount. I saw two shooters loose zero at the river city shooters summer shootout, and both had traditional mounts. That just happens for various reason.

Is there a benefit to using a set back mount instead of the standard one? I'm fairly new to the speed shooting games but It seems like the set back mounts are an upgraded version of the original.

I chose the setback because the Steelmaster is short, and I wanted to get the lens as far away from the comp as I could. It works fine. I'm assuming the regular non-setback would be fine on a trubor or something with a 5" barrel and comp.

Thanks for all the input. I'm hoping to avoid the mistakes I made in building up my 22 open gun. I just kept buying and trying different types of parts. I think I have enough extra rim fire stuff to build a couple of extra pistols. :blush:

Hello: I prefer the setback mount since it moves the balance back towards my hand. It also is closer to the pivot point of the pistol. The front of the lens stays cleaner but the back will get a little oil on it since I clean and oil my pistols before each match. After I clean the oil off after the first stage it is good for the rest of the match. Thanks, Eric

Is the Cheely Setback mount further back on the gun compared to the Quinn III?

Hello: I am not sure about the Quinn III. After replacing 2 original Quinn II mounts that broke, I just switched to the Cheely mounts. Not sure if the Double Alpha mounts are better made with different materials? Thanks, Eric

Well I "bit the bullet" (pun intended) and ordered one of the Allchin setback 90 deg. mounts. Seems that any of the issues I might encounter, cleaning more often, etc, will still be better than having brass jam between the top of the slide and the bottom of the mount. It was pretty much guaranteed to happen at the worst possible time too. Thanks for all the input.

Waiting for a black Cheely 90 deg mount from Shooters Connection, for my Steel Master.

Just realized - how do you make adjustments when sighting in, isn't the R/L (now up &down) adjust screw under the scope, right on top of the slide ???

Maybe I'm missing something ..........

Waiting for a black Cheely 90 deg mount from Shooters Connection, for my Steel Master.

Just realized - how do you make adjustments when sighting in, isn't the R/L (now up &down) adjust screw under the scope, right on top of the slide ???

Maybe I'm missing something ..........

Up = right, down = left, then right = down and left = up... I think i typed that right.

So here's a review/recap of the 90 deg sight issue if anyone is interested:

Even with some of the possible negative issues with switching to a 90 deg. mount, I figured none of them where as bad as having the slide jam every 10 or 15 rounds. I'm not that fast to begin with and having to clear jammed cases can really add to your time. I purchased the Allchin setback mount and the day it arrived I mounted it to the gun and headed to the range. Some previous posters mentioned that adjusting the sight on the mount was possible by holes drilled to reach the screws. Unfortunately the Allching doesn't have this. I could access one of the lock screws with a shorted allen wrench but not the other lock screw or the slot to move the sight. (Note to C-More: Maybe make a model with the adjustments on the left side for us goofy 90 deg. guys.) I had to take the sight off the mount to make adjustments and then remount and test. This wasn't too bad but did take a lot longer to sight it in than I had planned on. After that first minor set back everything else was super. The dot is lower than before and it will still require some practice to bring it out of the holster to the right spot but it's getting better. I shot a local Fun Steel match with it today and by the end I was bringing it right up. My 30 test rounds at the range and the 120 or so I shot at the match resulted in ZERO case jams. As long I was focusing on the targets and not looking at the sight the sight body to the left was not an issue for me as well. I cleaned the sight before the match and looked at it closely afterwards. It actually seems less dirty that usual. I think having it lower helps eliminate some of the problem. There was a very small dirty area right at the very top of the sight glass so I'm thinking the blast from the comp is mostly going above it now. All in all I'm pleased with the switch and highly recommend the 90 deg. set up if you're having cases jamming in between the mount and the slide. Best of all I can still run my Steel Challenge "popgun" loads and the brass lands in a nice little pile about 2 ft. to the side.

post-54627-0-60585000-1404614262_thumb.j

post-54627-0-10122800-1404614272_thumb.j

Edited by IHMSA15151