Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets question

zhunter

I'm getting ready to start loading a M&P CORE 5" 9mm.

I like the idea of cost savings, but.... Ive always used jackets bullets in my .45's, and the barrel was always super clean. So I need some honest feedback, do Bayou Bullets or any others of this type mead any fouling, residue in the barrel?

FYI, I'll be using 124/5's with Titegroup/VV320/Clays for powders

Thanks

I had great results with the Bayou Bullet 124 in my M&P PRO. Fired several thousand and I seldom clean my pistol. No issues with residues. I recently reordered and I am trying the 135s this time. I am using WSF until it runs out them switching to AA5 and Clays (only powder I have left).

No problems with the Bayou Bullets fouling the barrel as long as you flare your cases enough and you're careful not to over-crimp.

Use a generous amount of flare to ensure you the bullet goes in smoothly without scratching the coating. As far as crimp, only enough to get rid of any flare used to place the bullet. (Remember that crimp has nothing to do with holding the bullet in a 9mm case. The bullet setback is controlled by the walls of the case and therefore the sizing die.)

As far as crimp. .378-.380 is about right.

Load a couple and then pull them. The coating on the bullet should be completely intact.

If you follow the instructions there should be ZERO leading in an M&P Pro barrel. Currently loading 124 grain Bayou Bullets I use N320, WST, HP-38 and Titegroup and the barrel cleans up to a mirror finish with a couple of passes of a bore snake.

Another bonus with coated bullets is they take a bit less powder to achieve the same power factor as a jacketed bullet and there's never any problem with copper in the barrel.

Use with confidence. I loaded tens of thousands of 124 grain Bayou Bullets in 9mm and NEVER had a problem with leading.

What razorfish said. I hadn't checked my crimp in a bit and was running 115s through my Open gun with a crimp that would make bullets look like a mushroom cap. No bueno. Very no bueno. Bayous are great. 115s in my Open gun, 160s in Production and either 180s or 200s in the .40. Zero leading (keeping in mind the embarrassing crimp story above.)

Really good tips about the flair and the crimp. Jacketed usually run about .001" smaller diameter so a little extra on the flair will help with seating and cut back on shaving the bullets coating.

I back off the crimp die, pull the handle (550) and then tighten the crimp die until it touch's the round. Then I release the handle, pulling the round out of the die, then turn the die down another 1/8 turn and pull the handle again. Once the round is crimped I chamber check it in my barrel and add a little more crimp if needed.

My Glocks prefer Bayou 147's ahead of 3.6 grains of WST. Clean, accurate and good on the plates.

Exact load I use with the 147 Xtremes, now using blue bullets.

I just need to find another keg of WST <_<

I haven't shot Bayou, but I have shot a lot of Precision 147s (another lead bullet with a super tough coating) without any fouling problems. As for accuracy, we did better with coated lead bullets than we did with jacketed. I have no idea why.