Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need mid level 3 gun scope

Dchi

I started shooting 3 gun about 4 years ago. Then I moved and took a break not being able to find a club to shoot at. At the time I used an eotech and was able to do very well with it. Most shots were 15-150 yards. Now I found new places to shoot and finding some clubs shooting out 400 yards on 12" plates. I just can't hit them with out magnification especially when the paint has been shot off. I need a scope with true 1x magnification without distortion and bright daytime illumination for 90% of my shooting and at least 4x for 200+ yards on smaller targets 8-12" in diameter. I prefer something with bdc for quick hold over and shoot. Please do not recommend tac30, mtac, Swarovski or vortex hd 2. I don't like the reticals on the tac30 or mtac. There are too course and the other 2 scopes are way out of my price range. I have a max of $700 to spend. Btw I can get a pretty good deal on a vortex pst and a weaver tactical 1-5 but my budget is a couple of hundred more so I was thinking I might be able to get something better.

MTAC II 1-5 and don't look back. Very fine reticle for precision stuff, daylight visible, phenomenal glass for the money

the horseshoe is nice for the close up stuff too... makes for a fast 1x

Is this new? I don't see any info on the website about an mtac 1-5. Would like to check it out

I have one of these and it has been a good overall scope. I normally shoot Tac Irons but have this mounted on a older AR that I use If there is going to be a lot of long range stages. It holds Zero great, wide field of view, accurate holdovers, and Throw Down lever.

It's not a top of the line scope but it is Quality and has a great Warranty....Bushnell MSRP is $414 but SWFA has it for $260 with a great one peice mount. post-46795-0-43069600-1403805751_thumb.p

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-Optics-30mm-Rifle-Scope-Mount-Kit-P61988.aspx

MTAC II 1-5 and don't look back. Very fine reticle for precision stuff, daylight visible, phenomenal glass for the money

Is this new? I don't see any info on the website about an mtac 1-5. Would like to check it out

Wrong line.

XTR II 1-5 is the new scope, and yes, it is a great optic, feature rich and won't break the bank at all.

I have a primary arms gen2 1-6 and it is amazing, especially for the price. It is true 1x, daylight visible illumination, and has an awesome BDC reticle. It is a VERY nice scope that is easily worth double what they sell for ($269). I would recommend picking one up when they come in stock again.

I have a PST 1-4 as well that I would say is also a great choice. Although the illumination is lacking it's still a great scope.

I had a Burris MTAC 1-4 that I didn't mind, but eventually sold it because it never got used.

Wrong line.

XTR II 1-5 is the new scope, and yes, it is a great optic, feature rich and won't break the bank at all.

Oops yeah mark is right, it is the XTR, thats what I meant, I just had MTAC on the brain...

We'll it looks like a vortex pst 1-4x or a Burris xtr II 1-5x. I like the reticle much better on the XTR but I can get the vortex about $250 cheaper. But honestly I have never looked thru either scope. The vortex ranging mils or moa seems useless for three gun.

What about a bushnell elite tactical 1-6.5x? A guy wants to sell me used one for $650.

had one.....sold it.

Here is what i would recommend. Use what you have now, save up more money, then "buy once cry once."

This is my experience with optics....

"I can get by with this and do just fine!" <---$250 Millet

Then I get my hands on something a little nicer and something really nice, checking both of them out.....

"I'll sell this quick at a small loss and get this nicer scope, but can't justify the really nice scope" (sell $250 for $200 to put towards Bushnell 1-6.5 for $900ish thru range membership)

.......then I get to play with the really nice options, better glass, better 1x presentation, better illumination and play the SAME game again, selling the Bushnell, then Spending $1200 for the Vortex.

I got lucky and got the Bushnell at a discount thru a range membership for around $900-950 and SWFA gave me something like $850 trade in value I think, so I lost $50-100 more for having it on my gun for two matches, then sitting in the safe.

I did the EXACT same thing with pistols.....G17, G17 plus parts, G34 with parts, G34 with more parts, Zev Tech G17L, and now custom 5" 2011 sight tracker. If I had known how much blood could be lost with a process of small papercuts, I would have taken the big hit on day one!

What did you not like about the bushnell tactical 1-6.5? I thought it would be better than the Burris xtr2 1-5. Although the Burris would seem to fit my needs. Absolutely no on any 1.5x scopes. Been shooting 2 eyes open pistol for 20 years. Can't stand the slight magnification in one eye over the other.

What did you not like about the bushnell tactical 1-6.5? I thought it would be better than the Burris xtr2 1-5. Although the Burris would seem to fit my needs. Absolutely no on any 1.5x scopes. Been shooting 2 eyes open pistol for 20 years. Can't stand the slight magnification in one eye over the other.

Mine was first focal plane and the reticle disappeared completely at 1x when trying to shoot fast. Illumination wasn't daylight bright. The scope didn't "disappear" at 1x when you went to start shooting like how my Vortex does. I always "saw" the tube when shooting if that makes sense.

No one has mentioned it but the Leupold VX-R Patril 1.25-4x with SPR firedot is pretty rad too for the price. It's what I've been using. Takes a really bad beating and maintains zero, and I like the SPR reticle a lot. Too much illumination doesn't work well for us with very bad astigmatism, but the firedot works well for me

I am surprised no one has suggested the Leupold VX6 yet. Light, excellent optics, daylight bright illumination, and forgiving eyebox. Perhaps its only weakness is the so-so options for a ranging reticle and a small amount of distortion at 1x.

If the XTR II 1-5 is an improved XTR 1-4, I would strongly consider getting that as well. I don't have one but have been looking at it too...

I have one of these and it has been a good overall scope. I normally shoot Tac Irons but have this mounted on a older AR that I use If there is going to be a lot of long range stages. It holds Zero great, wide field of view, accurate holdovers, and Throw Down lever.

It's not a top of the line scope but it is Quality and has a great Warranty....Bushnell MSRP is $414 but SWFA has it for $260 with a great one peice mount. attachicon.gifar91424I-feature.png

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-Optics-30mm-Rifle-Scope-Mount-Kit-P61988.aspx

I have this scope also, so far has not let me down. With the hold over reticle I dont see the point in having exposed turrets/tactical, should have caps IMO. But for three hundred dollars from Wmart, scope will get u in the game. I like mine set on two power, I transition well with close range targets better than the 1x setting. If you go to SWFA.com I think it is $300 but includes a one peice scope mount like the burris pepr mount.