Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you maintain a tight grip on your gun and not hold your breath?

Cy Soto

I try this today with Dry Fire, grip hard, drive gun target to target while proper breathing is hard and of course you add movement and you create tremors. I guess overtime you will develop this grip hold stamina with proper breathing, I'm not there yet, maybe someday.

• 2 weeks later...

Try flaring your elbows out a little and it will increase torque on the gun without increasing your muscle fatigue.

That is a great advice. In fact, I have been working on doing just this recently and it is working quite well.

+1 to CHA-LEE, grip strength plays a huge role. Its all relative.

+1 to mgardner as well. You are obviously not going to breath "normal" when you are pushing yourself as hard as you can go. The more prepared your body is to deal with a lack of oxygen the better. However you do need to breath as much as possible. I too try to breath when ever I am not shooting, during reloads or moving.

Oh by the way, just focus on calling your shots and let your subconscious do your breathing for you too

I mean its supposed to be doing your shooting for you, right? So what not let it control your breathing too?

Just don't think about it and shoot!

• 3 weeks later...

Breath?!! I have shot some fun matches with 50-60 count stages in Vegas before. I passed out before I got to the end. I can only hold my breath up to 32 round count. What worries me is, I am sure that some of the guys at the range would revive me, but when I came too, I would be stripped of my gun and gear with no one knowing a thing about my stuff missing. :)

Breath?!! I have shot some fun matches with 50-60 count stages in Vegas before. I passed out before I got to the end. I can only hold my breath up to 32 round count. What worries me is, I am sure that some of the guys at the range would revive me, but when I came too, I would be stripped of my gun and gear with no one knowing a thing about my stuff missing. :)

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?

More than one way to skin a cat I guess. Ben Stoeger says he grips so hard he sometimes peels skin off his strong hand with his weak hand. He seems to do ok with this approach.

same here

The strong hand ring finger, right below the second knuckle. If I'm not wearing a bandaid on that finger, I haven't been practicing

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Breathing is overrated anyway.

Now I know what I been doing wrong. I breathe while I shoot. Though I admit I do it in a controlled fashion so that my sight picture is halfway through my exhale and that is when I squeeze the trigger. I also don't hold the gun with a gorilla/death grip. Just enough to keep the gun in control. And I shoot with both eyes wide open.

It's a wonder I can hit anything. :blush:

It's very unnatural to inhale when exerting alot of force or focus. However, exhaling is much more natural, and I'm sure we've all experience that when lifting a very heavy object (whether it be weights, helping a friend move into a new place, etc). My shooting tends to reflects this. I notice during a string of fire, I always exhale heavily just before I begin, then as I move to the next position and/or reload, I breathe again.

This basically mirrors what I have always done in the realm of physical fitness as well (my sprinting career being an exception).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now I know what I been doing wrong. I breathe while I shoot. Though I admit I do it in a controlled fashion so that my sight picture is halfway through my exhale and that is when I squeeze the trigger. I also don't hold the gun with a gorilla/death grip. Just enough to keep the gun in control. And I shoot with both eyes wide open.

It's a wonder I can hit anything. :blush:

When you do your walk thru on a stage are you planning when you breath so that your sights will be properly aligned at the right moment during your breathing cycle?

Breathe when there is movement, we aren't shooting 32 rounds static. Grip strength need to be worked on just like any other skill, the hard you can grip the gun the better. I don't know a local M or GM that doesn't have crushing hand strength