Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Up An Older 1050

I recently aquired an older RL1050, that was in good shape, but had years of grease, oil, dust, and powder build up all over the press.

I started by stripping the entire press down as far as it will go and degreasing everything.

After it was all clean, I fabricated a mounting plate just to spread the footprint out a little (probably not necissary, but I like it).

Last night I got the lower end put back together, greased and reassembled all the needle bearings, primer ram, indexing pawl, etc. It looks brand new.

I didnt take a picture, but plan on finishing it up this weekend and will add some then.

I will say, I'm SUPER impressed with this thing. It is my first 1050 experience, and I love the way its engineered. It is actually really simple to work on and assemble/dissasemble. looking forward to cranking out ammo on this thing.

Here is a picture of the stripped frame and plate:

BFE9F0C5-6E08-4641-BD82-3A2F4B670AEF_zps

That's awesome. I also got another 1050 set up today. Mine was in great shape so I just threw it into production. Helps that it came with a bullet feeder too!

Yea, I can see myself buying a bullet feeder in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks amazing, i think you simply took some pics of a new press and are passing them off as some type of restoration..

:goof:

Ha, nope.

Just some elbow grease, a tooth brush, and a half dozen cans of brake cleaner!

Should have taken a before picture.

Looks amazing, i think you simply took some pics of a new press and are passing them off as some type of restoration..

:goof:

Ha, nope.

Just some elbow grease, a tooth brush, and a half dozen cans of brake cleaner!

Should have taken a before picture.

Indeed, that would have been great. Nice work, I wasn't doubting you one bit, looks great.

Looks great Steve. I'm just setting one up, too (didn't find a used one, though...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Todd.

If you have any questions about setup, message me. I'm becoming pretty intimate with this press.

Looks great Steve. I'm just setting one up, too (didn't find a used one, though...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Todd.

If you have any questions about setup, message me. I'm becoming pretty intimate with this press.

Thanks Steve. I'll do that. I've got it assembled and set up temporarily on a bench now. Just getting a steel stand finished that will be lagged into the floor. It will be solid when I'm done. Then I'll be adding a MBF.

Hope to meet you soon. I've been known to hang out with the crew from PT. :)

That's an RL? Does the arm hit the base you've made? I found I had to set my press off the bench slightly with it's mounting plate and cut a notch in the plate as well

Yep, the arm did hit the plate. I anticipated this.

I now have a relief cut in the plate to allow the arm to move to the full "down" position.

So, I started running some .38SC on the press last night. Everything is working BEAUTIFULLY, except one thing.....

When I return the handle up, there is a substantial "pop" or "thunk" as the case is pulled out of the sizing die. It only occurs when there is a case in the sizing station.

The tool head is aligned, the die is not defective, and all other components move freely.

I THINK the slack in the crank assembly might be causing the problem. ie, when the sizing die lets go of the case, the toolhead spring "pops" the toolhead up quickly, taking the small amount of slack out of the crank, causing the "pop".

I'm 99% sure this is what is causing the problem, I'm just not sure how to remedy it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZNegajElwLg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Ssanders224

Very nice. I to would have liked to have seen some before pics also, not that I am doubting you, but I love to see old things restored from start to finish. It is amazing how you can sometimes find a diamond in the rough. Now all you need is a case feeder and you are into some serious production. Good Luck and keep us updated.

So, I started running some .38SC on the press last night. Everything is working BEAUTIFULLY, except one thing.....

When I return the handle up, there is a substantial "pop" or "thunk" as the case is pulled out of the sizing die. It only occurs when there is a case in the sizing station.

The tool head is aligned, the die is not defective, and all other components move freely.

I THINK the slack in the crank assembly might be causing the problem. ie, when the sizing die lets go of the case, the toolhead spring "pops" the toolhead up quickly, taking the small amount of slack out of the crank, causing the "pop".

I'm 99% sure this is what is causing the problem, I'm just not sure how to remedy it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZNegajElwLg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I just talked to Dillon about this problem, and unfortunately, they were ZERO help.

They suggested.... "rub some case lube in the sizing die". Yea, thats not the problem.

So, I tried to explain my theory about the slack in the crank causing the problem, and the representative offered little to no response. I asked, "so you dont have any suggestion on how to cure this slack in the crank assembly?"..... "No" was the only response.

I know this is what it causing the "pop", and it sucks that they couldnt be of any more help.