Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Up An Older 1050

Dillon case lube.....

My cases are lubed just fine.

Even if they weren't, it should not pop the way it does

It is caused by the slack in the crankshaft key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any more thoughts on this? My new one is doing the same thing. I'm loading 9mm using an EGW U-die, just for reference, though I don't think it would make a difference.

How are you cleaning the Brass? If you are using wet media, the inside of the case may be getting stuck on the powder funnel, try backing it out just a touch.

One of the things I do when using wet media is to put Car Wax (liquid stuff) in with the brass. I find that this helps keep the brass bright and leaves a nice wax coat on it to stop the funnel from sticking.

How are you cleaning the Brass? If you are using wet media, the inside of the case may be getting stuck on the powder funnel, try backing it out just a touch.

One of the things I do when using wet media is to put Car Wax (liquid stuff) in with the brass. I find that this helps keep the brass bright and leaves a nice wax coat on it to stop the funnel from sticking.

I'm dry vibing this brass in fine walnut shell media with Frankford Arsenal brass polish and a couple tablespoons of mineral spirits for dust control. Right before loading, it is put in a 1 gallon zip lock, given a generous spray of One Shot, shaken up and left sealed while I'm prepping the rest of the supplies. Then into the hopper it goes.

The problem is not in the brass, or the powder funnel. It is isolated to the sizing station.

Dillon case lube.....

My cases are lubed just fine.

Even if they weren't, it should not pop the way it does

It is caused by the slack in the crankshaft key.

Any more thoughts on this? My new one is doing the same thing. I'm loading 9mm using an EGW U-die, just for reference, though I don't think it would make a difference.

Todd, try this....

While loading, stop when the handle is in the "down" position.

Now, apply significant downward pressure on top of the tool head with your left hand, as if you are trying to resist the handle and head being returned up.

While still applying pressure, return the handle up. I bet you will feel no pop.

This just confirms my "slack in the crank" theory. Although, I didn't realize it was an issue on a Super.

Steve -

Tried that. Didn't make the clunk, so I don't think it is in the linkage for my Super. Didn't have time last night to really investigate, but this seems to narrow it down to dies. Will have to spend some more time trying to isolate which die it might be in. For reference only, I'm using an EGW U-die, have the MBF activator in the powder drop, use a Redding competition seater die, and Lee FCD to crimp.

Steve -

Tried that. Didn't make the clunk, so I don't think it is in the linkage for my Super. Didn't have time last night to really investigate, but this seems to narrow it down to dies. Will have to spend some more time trying to isolate which die it might be in. For reference only, I'm using an EGW U-die, have the MBF activator in the powder drop, use a Redding competition seater die, and Lee FCD to crimp.

So, the clunk went away when you put pressure on the tool head??

So, the clunk went away when you put pressure on the tool head??

Dohh. I was dry-cycling the press trying to create the clunk. I will try pressure on the toolhead next time I'm loading. And work on my reading comprehension.....

Hello: The noise is coming from the looseness between the crank and bearings. Try assembly with some heavy EP grease and see if that dulls down the pop. If that does not work you will have to either make some oversize parts or just live with it. I just turn up the radio louder. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The noise is coming from the looseness between the crank and bearings. Try assembly with some heavy EP grease and see if that dulls down the pop. If that does not work you will have to either make some oversize parts or just live with it. I just turn up the radio louder. Thanks, Eric

Yep.

Pretty much what I've been saying several times in this thread... :)