Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is a Gen 3 still a better gun if you plan on building it up?

jriggs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you guys with Gen 4 pistols post up some pics???

I can post a few, but in all honesty, it's a Glock. Seen one, ya seen them all... :)

Gen4 G34. I use it for mostly IDPA ESP. It has Dawson Ice magwell and I have +200 extentions on the mags. It will fit in an IDPA box, but it's tight. That's the medium backstrap with beavertail. It also has Warren Tactical Sevigny sights and the Jager steel guiderod that allows you to use one piece springs rather than the Gen4 dual spring system. Tried to get that in the second and third pics. The discoloration is due to the pic, not the gun itself. I also put in the JK trigger which also works very well. It's around 3lbs, smooth, and has been reliable with WWB, Freedom Munition reloads, and Atlanta Arms and Ammo reloads.

I also put on an OEM extended mag release as the Gen4 mag release was still too low profile for my liking. The new one works well.

IMG_4571_zpsa5e41098.jpg

Single spring guide rod

IMG_4574_zpsb45a74d0.jpg

Hope this helps... let me know if there are any specifics you'd like to see.

I can post a few, but in all honesty, it's a Glock. Seen one, ya seen them all... :)

Gen4 G34. I use it for mostly IDPA ESP. It has Dawson Ice magwell and I have +200 extentions on the mags. It will fit in an IDPA box, but it's tight. That's the medium backstrap with beavertail. It also has Warren Tactical Sevigny sights and the Jager steel guiderod that allows you to use one piece springs rather than the Gen4 dual spring system. Tried to get that in the second and third pics. The discoloration is due to the pic, not the gun itself. I also put in the JK trigger which also works very well. It's around 3lbs, smooth, and has been reliable with WWB, Freedom Munition reloads, and Atlanta Arms and Ammo reloads.

I also put on an OEM extended mag release as the Gen4 mag release was still too low profile for my liking. The new one works well.

IMG_4571_zpsa5e41098.jpg

Single spring guide rod

IMG_4574_zpsb45a74d0.jpg

That's great info...does the ICE magwell work with TTI base pads? And is that magwell designed to work with that backstrap or does it take some tinkering?

IMG_4571_zpsa5e41098.jpg

Single spring guide rod

IMG_4574_zpsb45a74d0.jpg

That's great info...does the ICE magwell work with TTI base pads? And is that magwell designed to work with that backstrap or does it take some tinkering?

I have the Dawson pads, so I don't know about TTIs. The Dawsons work perfectly (and they do have plus 4/5 extentions. The ones I have don't add capacity).

The magwell is designed to work with certain sized back straps. I ordered the one that goes with the Med backstrap. It will work with the Med or no back strap. The only difference I can tell is the screw would stick out slightly with no backstrap attached. If you ordered the large version, it should work with L/M/None, but the screw in the back would stick out some. Truth be told, it wouldn't make much of a difference while shooting IMO.

The insert I have is aluminum to keep it legal. They also make a brass weighted one if that's what you're looking for.

I've only shot a couple matches and a little bit of practice/dry fire with the setup, but it seems to work well. Reloads are easy and I've put about 500 rounds of AA&A and WWB through a 13lb spring on the Jager guid rod with no problems.

Edited by RexKramer

hey RexKramer...do you now the part # for that magwell???

This should be the one for the Gen4 with a medium backstrap: https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800000C7-1388517817

Here is the main listing with all their magwells and plugs. Mine has the aluminum one to keep is ESP legal in IDPA, but they do have heavier ones available.

https://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=MAGWELLS%2C+MAIN+SPRING+HOUSINGS+AND+BACKSTRAPS:Magwell+Glock

ok looks like everything i'll want to do I can get it done with a Gen4. I've found and checked off all the parts i'll need.

thanks for the help guys, the glock stuff can be a little confusing when you're not used to it. now I just need to wait till the parts I need are in stock :)

One thing still lacking for the gen 4 is a good oversized magazine release. I personally would build on a gen 3 just because the availability of more add on options.

Thats because the smaller grip of the gen 4 plus the ALREADY huge stock magazine button kinda precludes a gonza gamer button. Glock sells the FBI gen 4 release.

G17week20-magbuttoncompare.jpg

I shoot a G35 Gen 4, and had no problems getting what I needed. The smaller grip size of the Gen 4 guns fits me way better with my small hands.

I run a Zev stainless heavy magwell with dawson basepads, and they hit the inside of the magwell just a bit when you fully seat the mags. Not enough to be an issue at all but enough that the black color on my bases is scratched off where it contacts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

One thing still lacking for the gen 4 is a good oversized magazine release. I personally would build on a gen 3 just because the availability of more add on options.

Thats because the smaller grip of the gen 4 plus the ALREADY huge stock magazine button kinda precludes a gonza gamer button. Glock sells the FBI gen 4 release.

G17week20-magbuttoncompare.jpg

The gen 4 mag release has large area but it is kind of nested in which I find to be an issue with both the gen 3 and gen 4 small mag releases. I think it is still better than the small gen 3 mag release but that isn't saying much.

Get a chance to handle or shoot them side by side? I'm sure you know people who have Glocks, just ask. Find out which YOU like better and then "pull the trigger" so to say.

• 3 weeks later...

So the pistol came in and I got to work right away...

It's now running a ZEV Fulcrum trigger, TTI sights, ZEV uncaptured guide rod and blue spring, a Dawson ICE magwell (medium backstrap) and them some TTI base pads to finish it off.

anepybub.jpg

• 1 month later...