Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Goodbye Uncle Mike's

JD45

I feel silly posting about IDPA holsters at this point, but many others and myself are going to have to buy new ones now so lets get started. I had a Uncle Mikes belt holster for a singlestack 1911 and loved how fast it was.

I see that the Safariland 5183 is legal and that is the style that I like. I'm not buying for carry. I want the fastest legal holster, period. Having my choice also be competitive in L-10 would be a plus.

I don't have a clue about legal mag pouches. I need these quick! The old El Paso back-up holster of mine will give me a little more time to choose a holster.

Any of you IPSC guys that know the new IDPA rules, please help us 1911 guys set ourselves up with a rig for both sports.

Did IDPA outlaw or disapprove of the Uncle Mike's plastic holsters?

By name and picture, nonetheless.

From the IDPA rulebook:

Probably one of the most popular pouch style holsters is the

current variation of the Uncle Mikes Kydex holster which is NOT

suitable for concealed carry or IDPA competition due to its offset

backpiece, which results in excessive offset from the belt/body.

JD45, I have a 5183 that I do not need. If you want it for $25 shipped, PM me. No one has chimed in about the original straight drop belt holster by Bladetech of which I have one for every auto I own. I haven't shot IDPA in over two years, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Got to agree w/ Chriss. The quote above (assuming it is correctly copied) states:

" which is NOT suitable for concealed carry " (ref. to the Uncle Mike's holster)

Bull. IDPA is oblivious to the real world on this issue. We teach a CCW class. Plenty of our students buy Uncle Mikes Holster - I know because we sell that brand among others. Guese what they use them for? It sure ain't IDPA.

D.

JD, I have a Safariland 5183 too. I had been using a Comp-Tac, locking paddle, now illegal. I checked the 5183, and guess what, I can see air through the belt tunnel, and thats with a thick Krammer gun leather belt and no spacers..I guess what may be illegal for one, may be legal for another.

How many people are shooting UM's holsters?  I'll bet a new belt loop can be manufactured for under $20 provided IDPA will allow the mod.

I think the mod would cost more than the holster?

Yeah, but it's still cheaper than a $60 to 80 holster to replace it. There's just no way to make something out of sheet kydex as cheaply as UM's can injection-mold it. Just a thought...

For those who have the hard, plastic holsters. Why not just lightly heat up the belt loop part of the holster, press it in to where there will be no gap? It's easy.

I already did it to my Blade-Tech and it's now 100% legal and didn't cost a dime.

I think using the UM with the paddle will have no gap. If there's a little, use thicker belts? :P

But then again, Section C. Holsters, under Not Permitted, item E reads: E. Muzzle forward or adjustable cant holsters.

And UM being a three-cant position holster, I guess it's really out.

By the way, when you check your mag pouches, remember the cover 50% rule means not including base pads (tube only). I lost an very old-timey leather mag pouch once that wouldn't come anywhere near 50% coverage.

I just got an e-mail from one of the local shooetrs that stated that Comp Tac is shipping him a revised holster and mag pouches for T&E, he should have it today. If something develops that I'm aware of I'll post it here.

We had a discussion about the holster issue last night at our indoor match and the MD had a Comp Tac Speed Paddle for his CZ that looks like it might be useable without modification.

OK, to add to my previous post I called Comp Tac this morning and spoke with JB.

They do have a couple of newly designed holsters, which they believe are compliant, in the hands of "beta" testers who have agreed to give them a try at a major match that is upcoming and risk the FTDR in the interest of research to see what is and isn't allowed. They are currently working on revised mag pouches and he said that the single stack 1911 and small frame Glocks are almost ready to go. He also said that they had been attempting to communicate with IDPA HQ for over a year on the rumored changes and to date have had no communication with them, HQ will not even return their phone calls or e-mails.

Once again Comp Tac is trying to be responsive to their customers needs.

And once again HQ is ignoring requests for clarifications to help the shooters......

typical.

I took a piece of 1/8" thick ABS plastic, bent it into a C shape and now it is legal. The amount of plastic used is worth less than a quarter.

As for adjustable cant, Bill has clarify that if you have to take off the holster and use tools to change the angle, it's legal.