Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

930JM vs Versa Max vs 1301

OscarMike

hy7ejyba.jpg

Brief thoughts after shooting all 3 today...

Reliability:

All 3 had great reliability. (930JM had reliability issues prior to today but performed great today after some recent tweaks).

Loading:

All 3 load two out of the box. The 930 is the easiest to dual load for me, followed by the VM and then the Beretta. The beretta wasn't hard though by any means. The versamax took a few loads to loosen up enough to dual load. The Beretta has a deeper loading port which took a bit of getting used to.

Quality:

The quality and feel of the Beretta felt the best with the Remington verrrry close behind. The 930JM has crappy plastic furniture that feels really cheap.

Controls:

Versa Max has great controls and I LOVE the safety location. Very fast to disengage. Engaging is a lot slower though. The ability to rack, and load a single shell (ie slug) without the next round in the tube coming up... I like a lot. Not the biggest fan of the bolt handle.

Beretta has a huge bolt release, and a great safety. The gate release at the back of the gate was kind of odd.

930 JM safety isn't my favorite location, and doesn't have a very solid feel to it. The bolt release is the smallest of the 3. It has my favorite bolt handle by far!

Kick and cycling:

The 930 felt the fastest but had a very snappy kick.

1301 had a great combo of lighter kick and fast cyclic rate.

Versa Max was the softest recoiling by far. Odd thing... It felt like a very slow cycle, but I was back on target and squeezing the trigger much faster with the Versa Max than the other two.

Sights:

930JM had a gold bead when I bought it. I hear they have a new FO. My JM has a HiViz which I love. No rear sight.

VersaMax has a huuge green fiber optic which I love. I'm not the biggest fan of the V notch mid/rear sight. It obstructs the bead while shooting trap for me. I'll be trying the taller comb soon and might change my opinion.

The Beretta has my favorite sight system. A Fiber optic with mid bead. The mid bead is very small and doesn't obstruct the fiber. The red fiber isn't as bright as the green and longer one on the VM and I'd like a bigger one.

Weight, Balance, and Feel:

1301 was the most balanced and easiest to point by far. Very light and airy feeling in the hands. The forend felt great and very grippy.

930JM is also very light and fairly well balanced. It points okay, but I don't like how skinny the comb is.

VersaMax feels very comfortable, but the forend is very thick and the rubber coating isn't as grippy as the factory stippling on the 1301. The soft comb felt amazing. I don't foresee issues with jaw pain that I've had in previous sessions with the 930JM. The Versa Max is a lot heavier than the other two, but the majority of the weight is behind the front hand, so the shotgun pointed well and felt balanced.

Overall:

I think I like the Versa Max the best, but wish it had a mid bead. The 1301 is very close behind. The 930JM is a great value, but I'd probably spend the extra 300-400 on the Beretta.

Thanks, I am interested in picking up a shotgun, to start 3 gun. I am leaning towards the Beretta.

Although I own a Beretta, I think the VM is a good choice too......I shot one (Tactical with TSS mods) during one stage at a match two weeks ago and I am very impresed!

I purchased a 1301 a few months ago. Have not had the chance to shoot it as much as I would like, but I am impressed with the performance so far.

Gun runs 1oz reloads with no issues.

I have a JM and the Mrs has a 1301 ... Both have some C-Rums lovin and neither have had any issue. This afternoon we tried to run some Win AA shells that were "Minimum Dram Equivalent" and stated that they aren't to be used in semiautos. The Beretta didn't cycle them but the JM ate them up. I was surprised to say the least - was like shooting a 22!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Edited by IntenseImage

hy7ejyba.jpg

Sights:

VersaMax has a huuge green fiber optic which I love. I'm not the biggest fan of the V notch mid/rear sight. It obstructs the bead while shooting trap for me. I'll be trying the taller comb soon and might change my opinion.

??? Maybe because it's not a Trap gun?

Never shot a stage with aerial clays?

Yes, and they are very easy shots. I've shot a lot more stages with 70 - 100 yard slug targets. I see shooters having much more problems with long range slug targets as opposed to hitting aerials.

That was not me at the PPSC. I hit all the slug steel with only 1 miss, but missed about 15% of the skeet targets. And there were a lot more of those than slug steel.

You sound pretty set in your opinion, and I'm assuming you must use sights if you don't like a front bead. And I'm set in mine. I like seeing my rib and bead for trap targets

That was not me at the PPSC. I hit all the slug steel with only 1 miss, but missed about 15% of the skeet targets. And there were a lot more of those than slug steel.

You sound pretty set in your opinion, and I'm assuming you must use sights if you don't like a front bead. And I'm set in mine. I like seeing my rib and bead for trap targets

If by set in my opinion you mean that I believe hitting a slug target at 90 yards without sights is a harder shot than hitting an aerial target with sights on the gun then yes you are correct.

My point is that most shooters will benefit from a rear sight on a shotgun meant for three gun. I shot fiber-optic and mid bead for years on my 1100 CM and had little trouble hitting steel out to 115 yards (longest slug shot I ever had to take in a match). But when I switched to the Versa I added a rear sight. My accuracy isn't really much greater, but the speed to which I can apply that accuracy is much faster. For true shotgun shots the sights aren't used. It's gun fit and both eyes open, looking at the targets that equal fast, accurate hits.

On another note, your review was very informative and I liked it.

• 4 weeks later...

I own and like the Versamax too. At the risk of sounding critical of my own match... PPSC had 15 thrown birds and 9 birds pitched by kickers in 10 stages. This is considered excessive by most 3 gunners. Most 3gun matches don't have any thrown birds and only a few birds pitched up by kickers or flippers. Nearly every 3gun or tactical shotgun match has tough slug shots. In our sport it is generally more valuable to have the gun set up to shoot slugs well, than thrown birds. I don't run a rear sight on my Versamax simply because I can hit slugs better without it. Most people are the opposite however and hit slugs better with a rear sight. You gotta figure out what works for you but in the grand scheme of our game... being able to hit slugs well will put more points on the board than being able to hit birds.

Just as a disclaimer... I knew we were throwing way more birds than usual... and it was intentional. There will be lots of thrown birds again next year and there will be moving slug targets. They will be repeating elements of what has already become the flavor of our shotgun challenge.

Just as a disclaimer... I knew we were throwing way more birds than usual... and it was intentional. There will be lots of thrown birds again next year and there will be moving slug targets. They will be repeating elements of what has already become the flavor of our shotgun challenge.

Glad to hear this... I love thrown birds, maybe its cause I started out as a Trap shooter at a very young age. Most likely its cause most of the field tends to miss them and rack up penalties :goof:

I really Hope to make it to Pikes Peak next year... already got the time off work!

I also shoot a VM, and during by Skeet Shooting career I was classified AAA in all four shells 12/20/28/410 while 23's are pretty good. Straight 100 is what it takes to get into the shoot off. My gun was K-80 Krieghoff with Briley tube for the smaller gauges. It is of course an over & under gun, so I was glad to have loaded some pretty soft shooting loads.

After I turned 50 the 12ga. recoil on my O/U started pounding my ageing body so I had a Custom made Remington 11-87 Comp Skeet. This gun would only hold two shells, and was one of the sweetest lightest shooting guns I ever owned

All that said is why, I shoot a VM. Just like my 11-87 though I had Benny Hill take it new from the box, work the proper modifications and make it a real sweet shooter.

I still own my 11-87. Probably have more money in it then I could ever sell it for. My VM was much more conservative in price, but its still a very close second to my skeet gun.

Oh! Yes I did win many championships across the country. My average when I quit was 99.50 AAA

:sight:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The VMs do need some shell stop massaging, but once you get that done, they load very smooth and fast. That softer, and more linear recoil let's you shoot faster, but the big thing for me is being able to see better. Both in terms of vibration and muzzle movement, the VM, at least for me, transitions faster than any other shotgun I have shot.

• 3 weeks later...