Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TruGrip VS Scotts Grip

Pierruiggi

I have shot Scott grips on all my S_I's.

It looks like they sand down and reshape slightly, then apply epoxy and grit. They seem unaffected by normal cleaning solvents, and somewhat smaller and rounder than the normal factory grip.

I have not Shot ERicW's grips, but I have played with several guns that have "grip tape" type additions. In general, they lose adhesion when you expose them to solvents, and are slightly larger than the bare grip, big surprise there, since they are applied over the grip.

Grit size I have no idea, so I can't comment on. Durability, Scott can be redone at home I suppose if you feel like McGuyver, and EricW's stuff can be replaced easy enough. That being said I have shot the same Scott grip for almost four years and not needed to replace it.

I have seen some very good, die cut grip tapes, and EricW's seems to be in that catagory. I guess it just depends what you like. For Me, on an S_I, the Scott grip, or stippling seems to be the more permanent way to go.

Glock or other, I would give EricW's products a serious look.

TruGrip on S_I's does have its limitations. If you're a clean gun fanatic and like to hose your gun down with brake cleaner after every trip to the range, it's probably not for you. Also, some folks in extremely warm/humid areas have experienced problems with delamination (usually due to moisture/oils working their way under the adhesive). The tape will stick to a stock grip without modifications, but it's generally best to remove the checkering near the mainspring housing and near the top of the grip for best adhesion. Grip tape will always be less durable than grit or stippling. It's also less expensive.

Other grip tape failures have been: putting tape over painted grips (Renee Tyson tried, but could never get it to stick right, IIRC), and putting tape over stippled grips (sorry KevinC). So, grip tape is definitely far from perfect on the S_I.

My experience and that of others is that *all* texturing jobs be they grit or "stippling" wear out over time. If you're going to bear down hard for your GM card, you're going to wear things out in a hurry. If you're a weekend duffer, one grip job will probably last as long as you own the gun. It all depends on the initial investment you want to make and whether you are *sure* that it's a route you want to go long term.

Scotts grip is black aluminum oxide that is bonded to the grip with some sort of glue. It looks awesome when you get it. Fantastic grip that doesn't hurt like aggressive stippeling. Looks about the same grit as the TruGrip. (just a guess) I love it, but I'm not sure that I would do it again. The grit starts to move around from use and now show wear spots. It doen't effect the performance, but it's starting to not look so hot.

I havn't tried Eric's TruGrip, but the price is right and worth a try. All of the other modifications are costly unless you do some sort of home stippeling.

Guest Larry Cazes

I've tried both and have settled on an SV scotts grip as the solution for me. I feel that it is a bit more robust and withstands solvents, rain, sweat, etc. a bit better than any tape will. I've had mine for 6 months and have put about 5000 rounds through the gun with it as well as about an equal number of dry fire cycles with no visible wear to the surface. I paid $160 for mine from SSI and I gotta admit it's a bit much for an injection molded plastic part with some grit imbedded in it but it does work well if you can stomach the cost. My only real complaint is that SV puts pretty cheap stickers in the medallion cutout that started to peal almost right away. Youd think that for this much they could spring for a plate for the mold to put their logo in it like STI does.

Eric's tru-grip is GREAT stuff. You can apply it where you need it and the cost allows you to replace it whenever it wears out or loses it's adhesion.

I'm a "clean gun" fanatic but I make a concerted effort NOT to soak the grip in brake cleaner. My grip tape application has lasted an entire IPSC season and it's in good enough shape to last at least 1/2 of this coming season.

;)

I've had both and the TruGrip is better by far.

The Scott's grit is ever so slightly bigger, but they're equally grippy... until the Scott starts to wear off. I've had better durability from the TruGrip than I had from the Scott.

As far as installing the TruGrip, I took all the checkering off of a standard STI grip, so my grip is even smaller and more round than the Scott.

When you start comparing cost, TruGrip is the CLEAR winner, even if you do have to do a little more work to get it to "feel" like a Scott (in terms of size).

BTW, I'm still on my first TruGrip after about 4000 rounds (~1700 of it in the last two days).

Thanks for the input. :)

I have big hands, so if the grip gets a little bigger than stock, it feels better to me.

Can somebody post a picture of your TruGripped S_I; other than the one in ErivW's wensite?

Also, If you have a Scott grip, and it starts to wear off, is there any way to remove the remainig grit and apply TG?

My vote goes to TruGrip because it is a lot easier than the spray on stuff from Brownells and it is great on the front strap. Much easier on the hands than the old skate board tape I tried. Got it on the 1911, the Glock 21 and SV style on my Para because Eric doesn't make one for that yet. HINT! HINT! I can wait until after the XD is done but I hope the Para is on the back burner. HINT! HINT!

Tokarev:

Tom Cochrane is one of those "rockin" Canadians, once (and for a time in 2004) a founding member of the band Red Rider. The quote is borrowed from a song titled "Human Race."

Never heard of Zefram Cochrane,but if Tom was a gun owner, he would use and recommend TruGrip...I'm certain of it. ;)

Zefram Cochran is a character from Star Trek. His forays into space with a warp-driven ship are what made the Vulcans take interest and led to the entire Star Trek series.

My question is who's the bigger geek? The guy that brought up the reference or the guy that explained it.

• 2 weeks later...

TruGrip is great stuff. For me the grip doesn't feel especially gritty, but my hand flat out does not move on it. I added grip spacers on my Kimber and removed the TruGrip that had been on there for several months and was still in perfect condition (used a lot). The grip did not want to let go at all, so I'm very impressed with the adheisive.

I'm really hoping to see TruGrip for a Para.

• 6 months later...

I've seenand tried both Eric's TruGrip and SVI Scott. The TruGrip was on a Glock though, and the SVI Scott on, well....an SVI ;)

I would never go for Scott grip. The ones I handled started losing grit while handling them :(

I would say, if you have an SVI/STI/SPS, smooth the grip (fill up the checkering with epoxy or grind it down to a smooth grip) and get some TruGrip. It will take a little work to get the grip smooth for the TruGrip to adhese, but it's way better than buying an expensive grip and having to throw it away after all the grit is gone :(

I would say, if you have an SVI/STI/SPS, smooth the grip (fill up the checkering with epoxy or grind it down to a smooth grip) and get some TruGrip. It will take a little work to get the grip smooth for the TruGrip to adhese, but it's way better than buying an expensive grip and having to throw it away after all the grit is gone :(

Yup. On the STI/SV series, the surefire way to get the TruGrip to stick is to grind down the diamond checkering on the side panels. The tape sticks fine in 80 degree weather or less on a stock grip. But as soon as the mercury rises and/or you really start pounding the steel and the frame heats up, the tape will milk across the diamond checkering. I'm going to provide revised instructions for the STI/SV pistols to reflect this reality.

If you have larger hands, filling the diamonds is probably the way to go. If you have smaller hands, grinding the diamonds off won't hurt you any. As long as you only take off the diamonds, there's no loss of structural integrity of the grip, so no worries there. It's best to finish up the job with a buffing wheel. The polishing will knock down all the fuzzies that pop up from sanding. The best way to sand is to "dremelize" the grip. (Thanks Julien for the new, technical term. ;)) I used a very coarse wheel to zip off the diamonds, and a smooth wheel to clean things up.

Hmm...what if you replace your Scotts Grip with Eric's TruGrip once it looses all its grit, is this possible? I was thinking of ordering an SV receiver with Scotts Grip....now im back to being confused again. Should I, should I not? :mellow: Also, I dont feel very comfortable dremelizing the grip of a brand new S_I receiver, it would be like cutting flesh don't you think? :P

Also, I dont feel very comfortable dremelizing the grip of a brand new S_I receiver, it would be like cutting flesh don't you think?  :P

A replacement STI grips is only about $75 in the USPSA classifieds, so I wouldn't get too excited about making a mistake. Think of it this way: what's the point of buying a $2500 to $3000 gun if you're not going to make it work for you?

I used to think altering guns was somehow "wrong". Now, I realize that life's too short to have a gun that doesn't work for me and have very little qualms about doing what's right for *me*. ;)

As far as putting TruGrip on top of a Scott grip....I think that won't work too well. If the Scott grip is shedding grit, grip tape isn't going to stick at all.

I don't think there's necessarily anything technically "wrong" with a Scott grip if it's done right, and for some people in some climates it may be the only thing that works. It may be necessary to put some type of ultra-thin top coat over the grit to keep it on, then re-expose the grit by wiping down the grip with acetone.

I've never used a Scott grip, but I've heard two different stories: (1) that they are wonderful and last a long time...and...(2) that they wear out about as quickly as everything else.

I guess the moral of the story is that getting a grit grip onto a handgun is generally a compromise. I just hope that someday one of the manufacturers gets smart and makes replaceable grip panels that snap onto the gun and.....gasp!....actually grip. It would save everyone a lot of expense and messing around.

Eric, have you done business with overseas clients? ...particularly this small 3rd world country called the Philippines? :D Im thinking of getting a set for a friend whos been lending me his Para for the past 3 months or so. :) Maybe I should be a dealer? hahaha!!

Eric, have you done business with overseas clients? ...particularly this small 3rd world country called the Philippines?  :D Im thinking of getting a set for a friend whos been lending me his Para for the past 3 months or so. :) Maybe I should be a dealer? hahaha!!

I've shipped overseas before, but I'm reconsidering now. I have had so much stuff getting stolen in customs lately it's not even funny. I think in the future, if I sell anything at all internationally, it's going to be to dealers so that I can track the shipments.