Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI trigger too long????

Cameron

I bought a SVI interchangable trigger to go in my STI frame at nationals. Finally got around to doing it and the thing just would not work. Turns out, the bow was .030" longer that three other triggers I measured on the bow from front to rear. Anyone run into this?

No, the overtravel screw not the issue, and pre-travel adjustment not the issue either.

I just sent an e-mail to SVI to see about a replacement.

I haven't noticed any difference in length between the SV and STI trigger bows, but I have had problems with the location of the contact pads on the SV trigger bows. I have had to replace a couple of trigger bows because I've broken them either at the Insert mount area or the bow where it attaches to the Insert mount. On the new ITS trigger bows the contact pad (area that swells to fit the full height of the trigger bow cut) at the rear of the trigger bow where it rides on the grip frame is too far forward on the ITS trigger bows. It will actually fall off the trigger bow cut making the trigger pull heavy and inconsistant. The STI trigger bow has a larger contact pad that doesn't have this problem.

Has SV changed their trigger bow recently?

Nolan

i have had this problem on numerous occasions and the way to fit it to the particular gun is to take a small amount off the back side of the sear where it contacts the disconnector. this needs to be done very carefully, preferrably on the mill and you must make sure it is done parallel to the original surface. this is a very agrivating problem and as far as i know this would be the easiest way to fix it. i have all but given up on using the ITS triggers because of this. good luck, j.l. hardy

I had this problem when I fitted the tri-glide components to my STI I reshaped the front of the trigger bow (squared it up slightly) to ensure that it could move forward enough to allow the half-cock notch to engage. Othewise the half cock notch would not engage and you get the problems described above.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dan,

Does not appear a reshape will work. The profile of the bow appears identical

J.L.,

Not sure I am qualified, or want to start custom cutting the back of the sear. I think I will just buy a STI trigger and make my own flat trigger. Much less expensive that way any way.

Anyone need to buy a SVI trigger???

Cameron

i have done the same thing that jl said, but i have found the easiest thing is to switch the bows and restake the trigger shoe to the sti bow, it's really very simple once you do it. if you want to try it , e-mail me and i'll get some pics together to show you how. bedellcustom@yahoo.com

flex,

i sent the entire set of pics to do this job to cameron and paul w.

ask them if they will forward all of it to you. i already dismantled my collage of pics for that job. put em' all up on the site if you get them. it is an absolute marvel of modern engineering. not really, it's actually quite simple. i got tired of reshaping the front of the bow so now i just switch the bows and in about 5 minutes i'm back in business.

Posting for Bedell:

three triggers in pic are from left to right, STI standard trigger, SVI trigger, SVI trigger shoe attached to STI bow. look at the measurements of the oal of the 2 bows and because the way the SV bow is shaped it makes it longer. as i said previously, you can either reshape the bow, mainly at the front nearest the shoe to make it shorter, or you swap the SV shoe to the STI bow, or as JL said, you can mill off some of the back of the sear feet where it contacts the disconnect. i hope that answers all the questions.

triggers.jpg

triggers2.jpg

triggers3.jpg

The STI bow looks allot more concentric. Actually I dont see the need for hte interchangeable trigger any more. Its a great idea for the newbie trying different lengths but once you find out what you need you dont need it anymore. I like a short flat trigger and all you need is an STI gunsmith trigger to do flats of any length. they also do a long and short curved trigger. Just so happens i sell them all.

flexmoney,

did you get the pics you wanted from cameron or paul w.

if not , send me your e-mail and i will compile them and send them to you

Thanks Dan. I think they both sent them to me. :)

I didn't really need them (try as I might, I can't get them in my Glock) as much as I thought it would be good info to share with the forum. Looks like ShooterGrrrrl took care of that.

Thanks!

Kyle

You mean bending it in? I would rather just use an STI to start with. One way I got one to work in an SV once was to put the trigger in without mag catch and squeeze it until the front squared up a little. I have done the sear approach as well. I wonder if the bending of the back of the bow would cause the bow to hit on the magazines?

i agree that there are a few simple solutions to this problem, it's nice to see that everybody has voiced their opinions on how to make the correction. now it's up to the individual to look at which of these ideas will best correct the problem.

flex,

if you manage to get one to fit a glock, i'd really be interested in seeing some pics of that engineering marvel.

im just posting in for Derek of Millenium custom..ive also have an SV trigger on my STI...sweetest trigger i have in my small collection :D ....ill leave the explanations to him because i dont even know where to start :P

240024.jpg

240022.jpg

Bending the back of the bow just does not seem like the right way to me. I might try Chuck's method of squeezing the trigger without the mag release installed. I plan on not using the SVI bow anyway, so if I fart it up, no problem.

By bending the rear of the bow, and squaring-up the front of the bow, you can cure the over-length on the SV trigger. You won't have any problems with the bow being too thin or flexing on you. Also, by doing it this way, you pull the rear corners of the bow inwards, as sometimes they are too wide in the rear, therefore hitting the frame.

First is OE trigger

Center is modified to the extreme on the rear bend (does not effect the mags at all). Notice the squared up bow by the trigger shoe which allows the trigger to go forward.

All this takes approx. 5 minutes.

PS Stay Warm!!

• 1 year later...
im just posting in for Derek of Millenium custom..ive also have an SV trigger on my STI...sweetest trigger i have in my small collection :D ....ill leave the explanations to him because i dont even know where to start :P

240024.jpg

240022.jpg

ogiebb,

Could you repost, or email me the pics?

I'd really like to see them.

Thanks

Hey guys.... why use a SV trigger with all of this problems if you have available a STI Gunsmith blanck trigger available??? The STI trigger is more lighter and you can shape it as you like. I agree wit Chuck Bradley where I bought a lot of items and his councils are always right for me!!!!!!!

One last thing I live in Italy so you can immagine my difficulties

:)

Ya All can take a little off the grip frame where the Bow bottoms out and smooth

the front of the bow at the curves on each side, then put the bow in the frame

take a flat piece of wood that fits the width of the rear of the bow and tap

it lightly several times this lets the bow form fit to the grip, then use dykem or

black marker on the bow work it back and forth and polish the rub spots.

They will work just need to fiddle with em a while.

Looks to me like Sandy done it on purpose,Which he would start working

more for the shooter, than what ever he is working too =baffles me.

Jim Anglin

Sailors :wub:

• 3 years later...
Hey guys.... why use a SV trigger with all of this problems if you have available a STI Gunsmith blanck trigger available??? The STI trigger is more lighter and you can shape it as you like. I agree wit Chuck Bradley where I bought a lot of items and his councils are always right for me!!!!!!!

One last thing I live in Italy so you can immagine my difficulties

Sees Sights

Group: Classified

Member No.: 6945

If I wanna change the bow grafting one STI bow in a SVI trigger what is the procedure? Any experience on it?

Thanks ahead guys!

--------------------

Josh posted this in a new thread. I put it here for him