Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP USPSA

JBoutfishn

I have been loading 200 gr copper plated SWC for my Sig 1911. I am planning to shoot USPSA single stack as soon as my shoulder heals from rotator cuff surgery. Will this load work out or should I load 230 gr copper plated LRN for competition? I also hope to shoot production with a 9MM, what is the favored load for this class?

Thanks for all help!

200 will work fine,230gr rn may give less recoil. Try clays or e-3. My 9mm load 147gr rn plated (xtreme) with 3.2/3.3 gr vitn320 shoots very soft and easily makes 130+PF..

If you have a good 200gr load that's accurate and you're comfortable with, absolutely compete with it to start. Assuming you're a new shooter to USPSA, you have plenty of other things to focus on out of the gate than tinkering with your load for a slight improvement you'll get there.

That being said, the general formula for reducing felt recoil is to shoot the heaviest bullet you can with the fastest powder that's safe. So technically getting into a 230 grain bullet will be an incremental improvement.

As for 9mm, a lot of shooters (myself included) really like 147gr slugs and Titegroup. For my CZ 3.4gr Titegroup and a Montana Gold 147 CMJ is a sweet combination.

I'm fairly new to USPSA but have been reloading for a while now. I shoot single stack with a Springfield operator. I'm using a 200gr LSWC and 4.9gr of titegroup and it makes around 180 PF. It's high but works for now as I'm working on the basics being new. I cast my own practice bullets cause its cheaper but use a local company that makes awesome cast bullets for matches.

200 LSWC or any of the Poly/Moly Coated ones work great, they feed good and have always been more accurate than RN for me. But the jacketed versions of the H&G 68 SWC haven't given me much in reliability. I've not tried the Plated versions. Clays or Titegroup are good and Titegroup is a favorite for 9mm in Production.

Whatever bullet you like better. I shot 200 gr H&G 68 SWC for over 25 years and about 4 years ago switched to 230 RN cause I couldn't get any 200grs bullets. (Remember that! then it was a bullet shortage)

Load 'em and shoot 'em!!!!

I've worked up more new loads in the last 5 years than in the 30 before it, because of the shortages.

200 or 230 really makes little difference. I've found that bullet shape is more important. I shoot a RN in 45ACP because it seems to feed easier up that steep ramp 1911's have.

That being said: 230 rn, 5.0 grains HP-38

for 9mm: 147 fp, 3.6 grains HP-38 or

3.2 grains Titegroup

Remember if you run across any Win 231, it's exactly the same as HP-38.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer 200gr RN for my 45 ACP and 124gr RN for my 9mm. Personal preference.

I also load a 185gr FN for Steel Challenge with my 1911.

Hope the recovery from the rotator cuff surgery is going well. My wife had the same a few years back so I have seen what a pain that can be.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Been away for a while (Grand Kids summer stuff :) ) , shoulder sucks, but then thats the price for being an "Old Guy. Been practicing while waiting for my gear to arrive. My magazines arrived today, Waiting on Blade-Tech for holster and mag pouches. I have settled on X-Treme 200 gr plated RN. While I had a few FTF in the beginning, a heavier crimp seems to have solved the issue.

Again, really appreciate all the comments.

Been away for a while (Grand Kids summer stuff :) ) , shoulder sucks, but then thats the price for being an "Old Guy. Been practicing while waiting for my gear to arrive. My magazines arrived today, Waiting on Blade-Tech for holster and mag pouches. I have settled on X-Treme 200 gr plated RN. While I had a few FTF in the beginning, a heavier crimp seems to have solved the issue.

Again, really appreciate all the comments.

Check your OAL first. Do you still have your seating die on the wadcutter side? I personally have never seen a failure to feed due to crimp as long as it has "some", meaning sharp edges knocked off. The plated bullets, especially, the Extreme's in my experience do not like to have a "strong" crimp. It cuts into the plating and causes the bullet to tumble. I am sponsored by Rainier Ballistics, which is a plated company, and I set mine up so it has a uniformed ring around the bullet when you pull it, but it isn't cutting through the plating.

• 1 month later...

I have shot many, many thousand 200 SWC though by 1911, and on rare occasions I get a FTF. For that reason I prefer TCPB bullets for competition other that Bullseye. Loaded to 1.200" they never fail to feed.

Between 200 and 230 I prefer the 200 because I'm back on target faster.

I keep switching back from 230g rn, and 200g swc. At 25 yards, need to adjust the sights, but no big deal. Both have their advantages, 230 less recoil feel at equal power factor, less powder (a good thing). 200g more snapper and feels good to me, less cost per round. What you use is what feels good, and runs reliably in your gun. Both feel good to me so I guess that is why I keep switching.

I basically dedicated the 2014 year to shooting my 45acp 1911 in both SS and CDP. I played around with a few loads and found that my BBI 200gr with WST felt softer than my Xtreme 230gr with WST and TG. I was quite surprised and even had a friend shoot it to verify. I guess I will be sticking to the 200gr coated bullet.

• 1 month later...