Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production USPSA questions

ss+P

Here's the thing: Prior restrictions on magazines have been lifted. That would include Everything as long as the mag fit the box. The old ruling would be considered a prior restriction as its been ruled. I don't understand how it could be interpret differently? According to that old ruling even using a Aftermarket base-plate would be considered a External Mod, and there for illegal.

Edited by DocMedic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a simple problem, with a simple solution. Buy regular base pads. Change shape. Post on eBay to put them on the market. Have buddy who has no need for them buy them on eBay. Have buddy re-post the base pads on eBay. You buy them. You now have aftermarket base pads.

Sarge i think you are right. there may not be anything the says i can't do it, but there is no rule that says i can do. i read the rules last night and i agree with your one post. just bc you don't see a rule that doesn't say you can do it doesn't mean it good to go.

You have to use factory style sights in BIANCHI CUP. so you can't use adjustable sights unless it comes from the factory that way

You have to use factory style sights in BIANCHI CUP. so you can't use adjustable sights unless it comes from the factory that way

I have not read any bianchi rules but that does not sound like a good interpretation of the rule as you wrote it. Comes from the factory that way is not the same as available from the factory that way. i.e. a Glock 34 is available with adjustable or fixed sights so you should be able to put a set of Glock adjustables on a fixed sight G34.

Sarge i think you are right. there may not be anything the says i can't do it, but there is no rule that says i can do. i read the rules last night and i agree with your one post. just bc you don't see a rule that doesn't say you can do it doesn't mean it good to go.

You can use adjustable sights in Bianchi, you just can't mill the slide.

Anybody who runs an M&P in Production should be running the compact pads.

Why? What's the advantage they offer?

More comfortable but the main advantage for me is that my fingers are less likely to bump the basepad for the mag behind the one I am removing from the mag holder on my belt, thus knocking the next mag out of the mag holder. The factory basepad sticks out a lot farther than the compact.

Eric

Hey Sarge,

I saw that the part in the rules that says sights may be changed with aftermarket sights. I guess that means that they don't have to be the same style as the OFM parts. Just trying to make sure.

Do you know if the same rules apply for production division of the bianchi cup. i am looking that up now

You can put any sight on a production gun. Don't have a clue about bianchi though.
You can put a red dot sight on a production gun and be legal?! Why have I been using irons for sooo long!?

Hey Sarge,

I saw that the part in the rules that says sights may be changed with aftermarket sights. I guess that means that they don't have to be the same style as the OFM parts. Just trying to make sure.

Do you know if the same rules apply for production division of the bianchi cup. i am looking that up now

You can put any sight on a production gun. Don't have a clue about bianchi though.
You can put a red dot sight on a production gun and be legal?! Why have I been using irons for sooo long!?

All NROI rulings applicable to the current rulebook appear on this site.

In general, rulings will be posted ot this site on Tuesdays, so that we do not have a new ruling

take effect during middle of a major match.

The head of NROI will frequently answer questions regarding the rules from members.

Answers to routine questions which do not have the impact of "rulings" are not published on this page.

Although rulings are generally issued by NROI, the USPSA Board has final authority over all rulings.

Each of these rulings was made available to the board for a 7 day "review and approval period",

and publication on this page indicated board approval.

Nik, whether it was posted and updated in 2007 or 2014, it still applies...Read the very first line....

Edited by GrumpyOne

Hey Sarge,

IRON sight

DWFAN I can buy an m n p and use an adjustable rear sight at the bianchi cup and still be in production as long as I don't mill the slide. Not arguing but that wasn't how I interpreted the rules. However you have been correct on every other rule I have asked you. That is good to know. I read it as if it wasn't a factory option or sold with adjustable you couldn't use them

From the action pistol rules book: "...

A Production Firearm is a semi-automatic handgun or revolver which is or has been a catalogue item readily available to the general public equipped with factory notch & post sights. All standard safety fea- tures of guns must operate properly. The firearm shall have no visible external modifications except as follows..."

"...Only open sights may be used. The front sight must be a non-adjustable post sight. The rear sight may be adjustable if the firearm was originally manufactured with an adjustable sight. Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm. Fiber optic sights are permitted.

The way I read that is you can change the sights but if it came from the factory with a non adjustable sight you must replace it with a non adjustable sight. I don't believe an m&p is commonly sold with an adjustable rear sight, so to me I can not change the rear sight to an adjustable one.

Edited by ss+P

From the action pistol rules book: "...

A Production Firearm is a semi-automatic handgun or revolver which is or has been a catalogue item readily available to the general public equipped with factory notch & post sights. All standard safety fea- tures of guns must operate properly. The firearm shall have no visible external modifications except as follows..."

"...Only open sights may be used. The front sight must be a non-adjustable post sight. The rear sight may be adjustable if the firearm was originally manufactured with an adjustable sight. Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm. Fiber optic sights are permitted.

The way I read that is you can change the sights but if it came from the factory with a non adjustable sight you must replace it with a non adjustable sight. I don't believe an m&p is commonly sold with an adjustable rear sight, so to me I can not change the rear sight to an adjustable one.

You might be correct, but Ive seen them at the cup with adjustable sights. Only way to find out for sure is to ask a ref.

Many rulings were removed from the page...that still does not negate the fact that as of yesterday afternoon, they were still there and were applicable...Nor does any ruling or rule state that it is legal to grind or modify the base pads of a magazine in Production. Again, if it is not specifically allowed by rule, then it is an illegal mod...

More comfortable but the main advantage for me is that my fingers are less likely to bump the basepad for the mag behind the one I am removing from the mag holder on my belt, thus knocking the next mag out of the mag holder. The factory basepad sticks out a lot farther than the compact.

Eric

Interesting, thanks for the response. Eric. I will have to take a closer look at my mags tonight. I run 5 on my belt with ghost pouches in the bullet out configuration and haven't had a problem with knocking a magazine out.

I can see where the Springer +0 base pads would be a nice addition as that little extra weight would help them drop free faster.

Eric

Interesting, thanks for the response. Eric. I will have to take a closer look at my mags tonight. I run 5 on my belt with ghost pouches in the bullet out configuration and haven't had a problem with knocking a magazine out.

I can see where the Springer +0 base pads would be a nice addition as that little extra weight would help them drop free faster.

Plus you can get them in pretty colors, customized with your name, and numbered.

Seriously, how cool is this?

post-5345-0-01209700-1402056581.jpg

Edited by alma

Eric

For some ungodly reason S&W put base pads the size of a Pringle on their full size mags. With the compact pads of any flavor you can put the mags a little closer together on the belt without fear of them hooking together when you pull one out. Just compare the full size pads to Glock pads.