Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell types for shotgun only matches

Hi,

I'm new to multi-gun type events. I'm shooting a few shotgun only matches this year and have a question about loads. Typically when a match calls for say target, buckshot an slugs, are they ever mixed in the same stage? I guess I'm wondering of I need to be worried about the strategy of when to load different tiles, or if stages are usually all one type. Thanks!

Kyle

Almost always mixed. Some stage designers like to even put slugs in the middle of the stage to make planning your loads more difficult (like that's necessary).

Have a good plan on how to keep at least two kinds of ammo separate for reloading in case you have to take more slug shots than expected for example.

Frequently. Buck is less common than slugs, but definitely expect a match to make you throw in a slug or two right in the middle somewhere. Sometimes they'll be segregated well enough that you can start or end with them, often not.

Something I learned this past weekend...

Guys will use #6 loads to hit spinners. Turkey loads, plenty of punch and one shot will get the spinner moving with authority.

This match, nothing larger than #7 1/2 shot allowed.

So, the smarter gamers used some high brass Rem Long Range 2 3/4 " #7 1/2 shot and one shot was all it took.

My little Fed bulk pack #7 1/2 took several shots to get them moving. Just one more item to add to the flexiblity of the shotgun.

its funny that a lot of folks (MDs/RMs included) are zeroing in on the shot size (6, 7 1/2, ect) when wanting to restrict damage or power used on a target, when the actual ability to hit harder at a nominal distance of 10-20 yds on a spinner is totally reliant on the amount of shot and powder that is loaded in the shell...

I could hand you a shell loaded with #12 shot that would have a spinner rotating like a ceiling fan with one shot, and another loaded with #5 shot that wouldn't hardly move it...

:roflol:

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I could hand you a shell loaded with #12 shot that would have a spinner rotating like a ceiling fan with one shot, .....

yeah, but could I lift my right arm after that one shot? :surprise:

I run light target loads (2.75dram) and either an IC or a LM choke on nearly everything. Any more, I don't even bother to bring those bazooka loads. I usually bring one box of Rem Nitro 27 (to big matches), which are a typical sporting clays load. I don't use them very often and I use them for those situations where there are lots of close in targets, where I want to run an IC spread and then there are one or two targets where I might need a little more knock down insurance, but don't want more recoil from my pump. At Pikes Peak we had one spinner at 10yds and one at 12yds. I flipped both in two shots, using light targets 7.5s and an IC choke. Both of our spinners were interlaced into the course of fire. I watched one top shooter go past targets of opportunity to shoot the spinner in one with a storm load and then come back for the other two targets in a slightly less than optimum routine. Did the one shot spin gain him anything? Debatable. It certainly didn't hurt him, but I don't think his $2 shell put any points on the board. I watched another top shooter miss a target and then burn his storm load on an easy knock down, then flip the spinner in two shots with light targets. With plenty of other targets to take down during the swing, it didn't cost him anything and he still pulled down a stage win. At Whittington, they have a crappy spinner, which is not mounted on bearings. The Johnson's rarely brake it out of the shed, but this past weekend they used it for a local match. At 10yds, it flipped in 2 with my same light target loads and IC choke. No drama and I took two other targets during the swing. Now if you show up to a match to find that a spinner is at 20-25yds with no other targets of opportunity, a whammy load might be more appropriate, but I don't have any interest in dragging a $40 box or Prairie Storm around in my bag for the years it would take me to use it up. Industry standard 3dram loads with IC and LM chokes will get you through 99.9% of the bird shot targets out there. As to winning? Practice, efficiency and reliable equipment is what makes winners... not a specialty load.

Program your shells on the loading table in the order you want to shoot them. Keep a shell holder for slugs and be aware. Important to make your hits, as always. It's always fun to try for doubles, too. DVC

Program your shells on the loading table in the order you want to shoot them. Keep a shell holder for slugs and be aware. Important to make your hits, as always. It's always fun to try for doubles, too. DVC

Fun to try, but with high rewards come high risks :)

Don't do what I did at PPSC.... I shot 3 slugs and missed on the last one, and needed to load 1 more slug. Instead of short racking and port loading, just put a slug in the mag tube and burn the shotshell. I made an ass out of myself with a double feed out of the tube.