Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which die do I need?

3djedi

I routinely put all my brass through a Lee bulge buster setup as a first step before running them through my progressive. Before that, I would run into maybe one in a 100 that wouldn't fully go into battery and this step eliminated that issue. For what its worth, I'm using Dillon 40S&W dies in a Hornady LnL press. The sizing / decapping die is set down as low as I can get it and the problem remained until I started doing the bulge busting.

Some of my brass was range pickup and that probably caused the issue. I know some cases had the infamous Glock bulge and some were worse than others. The more obvious ones I just toss rather than rely on a stressed case even though I load relatively light for target shooting. All of the remaining cases - including those from my gun - go through the bulge buster. By the way, I've found that lubing the cases before going through the bulge buster really helps even though the Lee die is carbide.

I just started loading for .40 but I've heard that glocks will have the bulge so I was anticipating needing "something" to take care of it. Currently, I am using a hornandy dies and a Lee factory crimp die on a hornady LNL progressive press.

I've been loading glock 9mm on it and have noticed a bulge on those. They are fairly hard to run through the resizing die. In fact, I run all the brass through the resizing die as a seperate operation before reloading. After reloading I have noticed a few will have setback issues that I can't seem to remedy. I don't know if it is worn brass or has something to do with the bulge issue. Do you think an undersizing die would help in this case?

Thanks!

If you are having setback then I would recommend getting a U die, EGW and LEE are pretty much identical, pick whichever you prefer to give patronage.

But the "Glock bulge" should be too far down to influence that as long as you are resizing correctly.

When actually load do you run the brass through the resizing die again or is it an open spot in the press?

Again, do you chamber check or have a case gauge? Have you had any problems yet? Using the FCD should pretty much cover all of your bases if it is set up right.

You will usually get brass bulge with higher pressure loads with the original Glock barrel but I have found an aftermarket barrel with a more supported and tighter chamber greatly reduces the bulge. After installing the aftermarket barrel in my Glock, my 2011 "bulges" my brass more than my Glock. with aftermarket barrel.

Also found that the Lee sizing die can be adjusted to size more or closer to the base of my brass than some of the other brands. I guess the carbide ring is closer to the mouth of the die which eliminates more of the bulge.

If you are having setback then I would recommend getting a U die, EGW and LEE are pretty much identical, pick whichever you prefer to give patronage.

But the "Glock bulge" should be too far down to influence that as long as you are resizing correctly.

When actually load do you run the brass through the resizing die again or is it an open spot in the press?

Again, do you chamber check or have a case gauge? Have you had any problems yet? Using the FCD should pretty much cover all of your bases if it is set up right.

After I decap and resize in a separate operation that station is empty when I actually reload.

I do not chamber check or case gauge and I have not had any problems yet......however, I just started reloading .40 and have not reloaded after firing through the glock.

The only problem so far is an occasional bullet set back in 9mm. I just ordered a Lee undersize die. I bet that will take care of this problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

A U die should clear that issue up. Good luck in your reloading endeavors. I highly recommend chamber checking your rounds especially before a major. You want to minimize Murphy's influence as much as possible.

I bought the lee Undersize/decap die for 9mm. I was amazed because the 9mm goes through this thing like it's slathered in butter. It's much easier than the hornady sizing die.

Are you having a problem? If so, what is the problem?

An undersize die is good for very thin wall case that don't grip the bullet well enough. Personally, I scrap 'em. The Bulge Buster is for cases that have slightly more feed ramp bulge that isn't touched by the sizing die (or, a raised ridge from the feed ramp bulge) that prevents chambering. Choose a die based on the problem.