Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide hangs up on disconnector

Fireant

My gun has been running fine. I cleaned it and put it back together. Now if I hold the trigger back and rack the slide and let the slide go forward slowly it hangs up on the disconnecter. Most of the time if you let the slide go forward with out riding it it is fine. Out of a 200 round match last weekend it did hang up on the last stage. What could cause this? I checked some other guns and they do not do this.

One of my gunsmith-built guns did this. Well, not when firing, but I could lock the slide back on the disconnector by hand, and I could feel a roughness to it. I took the gun back to the smith and he just polished and/or angled the disconnector tip.

Moderator Note: I changed the topic title to something more descriptive of the problem.

Edited by Erik Warren

I actually had some wear in my disconnector tunnel and the round ball (SV) of the disconnector was hanging up on the worn spots. The pistol was going to Mr. Hill anyway so he took care of it and smoothed out the tunnel.

All the more reason not to clean a perfectly working gun. :P

You don't happen to have a 4-leaf sear spring, do you? If not try adjusting the middle finger of the spring and ease up the pressure just a tad bit. That is after doing the suggestions above. ;)

The reason I asked about the mag release is because if you have way too much overtravel the disconector can get put in a bind. I don't think even if the overtravel screw was missing the trigger could travel that far but you might check the overtravel just to be sure. If it happens only with the mag in as old john asked the disconector could be hanging out in the mag well or the slide could just be hanging up on the follower . You can check the disconector by looking down the mag well with the slide off. I'm not sure if you had the problem before you cleaned the gun or not? If not I'd take it back apart and make sure the sear spring is seated correctly and that the disconector hole is clean. Check the lower corner of the breach face, it should have a small bevel, if not I would take it to a gunsmith to correct this, this is a critical area for feeding. If you see a burr you can polish it off carefully.

Ross

Wait. I failed to note the portion where you said about holding the trigger back. If you hold the trigger back and you rack the slide, the disconnector normally stays in the flush down position, right? Are you saying the disconnector is popping out even when the trigger is held back?

If so, how about easing out generously on the over travel screw?

Make sure the center leaf of the sear spring is contacting the surface of the disconnector and not the very bottom tip. It can hang up on the bottom if there is a burr on either part. Make sure your grip is not cracked and sitting down lower than normal. Also make sure the sear spring is in the notch at the bottom of the grip correctly and that the pin that holds the mainspring cap in is not sticking out pushing on the sear spring.

Well, after trying most of what was sugested I put another disconector in and it works fine. I noticed that my old disconector had been chromed when I sent the gun off to be plated. Thinking back now it has not run as smoothly since it's been back. Now it glides so smooth and effortlessly. I guess the point learned is to be specific about what not to chrome when you send it to the chromer. Thanks everyone.