Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 Press. How long will this go on - UPDATE ON FIX

​Just now I got a call from Gary at Dillon Precision and told me they just shipped back my press via Fedex. Looks like the final word is that what was wrong was my fault. The magazine tube for primers was backward, dies were not quite adjusted right, and I had put a aftermarket shell plate on found on Ebay. It was so far out of spec that even the center shaft hole was oval. They also replaced the slide bar primer rod and springs and adjusted the machine. I had sent them brass, and bullets and they had primers so they could test the machine on my components.

The 1050 should be here by Thursday or Friday and I will get it mounted back on the bench and give the final report. Yes, I was angry at Dillon, some of it was deserved, but most was not. My feeling is that you could not buy from a better company or one who deals with the up most of business ethics. Truly amazing given today's business climate.

Hmm, after rereading your original post after having read your update post, I'd say you owe them a distinct and heart felt apology. I am not sure what part Dillon deserved. You placed all the blame on them in the original post and laid it on pretty thick, never mentioning for that matter the use of critical components that were sourced aftermarket.

JMHO.

Thank you for your advise on what I should have done. But guess when you're only looking in from outside you only see and interpret what you want to.

I promise, I will gravel at the feet of Dillon.

Thanks

I don't want you to gravel (sic) at their feet, but I think it would be a good idea in your original post if you added an UPDATE with the appropriate facts so that someone doesn't just read your OP and disregard the rest.

Edited by RDA

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many of you here and even more out there who are not on the forum, we experience a very common and flat out PITA with Dillon and primer feed trouble. Guys this is a $1,700.00 machine and has had the same issue for the past 10 years. I have to ask why. Any manufacturer of a great product is proud of it. The have a right to be, they offer the best warranty I have ever seen on their line of loading equipment with the exception of the Super 1050. I can not tell you how many emails I have read thanking Dillon for doing such a good job. And frankly is the reason I have owned three.

This all said, I feel they have just ignored or put their head in the sand when it comes to the primer issue with the 1050. Perhaps you did not know this problem, and if you do not own a 1050 guess you would not. Read many of the threads on BE and see all the years of frustration and wasted hours working on a design issue that I feel is the responsibility of Dillon the manufacturer.

I doubt that the buying public would allow such a disrespect for the customer to not even get involved and redesign or find a cure for these issue of any other product.

But to my dismay I have never seen in any blog or problem thread where Dillon acknowledge that this is a big issue. Says we are sorry and are actively seeking a fix.

Just say ok, will send you some parts. Won't fix their issue but we shut up. UNTill we have the same things start up again.

Hey Dillon..... How about some real help and not just hide from it.

JMHO

Ken

:cheers:

Ken Bird, on 16 Jun 2014 - 4:49 PM, said:snapback.png

​Just now I got a call from Gary at Dillon Precision and told me they just shipped back my press via Fedex. Looks like the final word is that what was wrong was my fault. The magazine tube for primers was backward, dies were not quite adjusted right, and I had put a aftermarket shell plate on found on Ebay. It was so far out of spec that even the center shaft hole was oval. They also replaced the slide bar primer rod and springs and adjusted the machine. I had sent them brass, and bullets and they had primers so they could test the machine on my components.

The 1050 should be here by Thursday or Friday and I will get it mounted back on the bench and give the final report. Yes, I was angry at Dillon, some of it was deserved, but most was not. My feeling is that you could not buy from a better company or one who deals with the up most of business ethics. Truly amazing given today's business climate.

Cough, Cough, Cough!

Hmm whats this a black feather? Looks like someone ate some crow.

I will give the Op credit for coming back and explaining he played a hand in the problem. Others would have just walked away never providing an update.

I recognize the machine has its issues, Im not saying its perfect, Ive had plenty of primers crushed and have the imprint of the primer backer rod in my ceiling to commemorate even more exciting times, but kept clean, serviced with the correct parts, and if I dont try to cut corners, it really does keep the hiccups to the minimum.

Um, I meant in your original post (as in your initial post #1). Doesn't help much to repeat at the end of the thread.

He can't. The forums are set so posts can not be edited after a few days.

Let it go.

Um, I meant in your original post (as in your initial post #1). Doesn't help much to repeat at the end of the thread.

He can't. The forums are set so posts can not be edited after a few days.

Let it go.

I wasn't aware, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it, on many forums you are able to edit your post as you need.

I'll add "update towards the end of the thread" to the initial post, and "update on fix" to the thread's title.

Great idea.

I recognize the machine has its issues, Im not saying its perfect, Ive had plenty of primers crushed and have the imprint of the primer backer rod in my ceiling to commemorate even more exciting times, but kept clean, serviced with the correct parts, and if I dont try to cut corners, it really does keep the hiccups to the minimum.

This should be etched in stone, I could not have rattled the keyboard and come up with a more accurate summation.

I did the best I could to make things right, I tried to acknowledge my part in the problem as soon as I became aware. I posted a message taking blame and saying I was sorry to Dillon, I gave and still do the highest recommendation.

So what you you want, Blood. Gee, I was wrong. :o

Please don't blame Ken for anything. He was frustrated, and unless I had him take a bunch of photos, the primer parts and die height issues weren't going to be diagnosed over the phone. Once the machine was here, we were able to measure the aftermarket shellplate and find the dimensional problems with it (the bore was oval, and .0065" larger than our maximum bore dimension). Ken promptly sent us the original shellplate, and the problems were corrected.

My big question is have you tried it yet?

Edited by dillon

Gary, thanks for your support, you are right on point. I had become very frustrated and spent so much time trying to make it work. I still contend you guys did the best of customer service I have seen from anyone in this trade.

I received it on Friday, but my wife had back surgery and is flat on her back, so no I have not tried it yet. But I can assure you it will be on the bench and running on this coming Monday.

I will then post another follow up email with how it has gone.

Thanks Again

Well, the preverbal son has returned from Dillon. I have actually had it back since last Friday but wife had back surgery and I have been loaded with Honey Do.

Today I unpacked it. I think it was as clean as the day I got it. So with enthusiasm i began the un-pack and setting up.

Well my Super 1050 now runs like "poop through a goose". I truly do not believe it ever run this good. I am so impressed. Gary you and your guys did a fantastic job, and i cant wait to start loading. I will get a couple of thousand don and report back.

BIG BLUE STRIKES !

Edited by Ken Bird

Ok, the fat lady has sung, and I have just come in from my shop. I have loaded 2,000 rounds of 9mm and have had 0 (zero) nada a single malfunction or failure. Never in this machines history has it scored so well.

Thanks to those of you who offered you help, advise and support. Hopefully I will be able to repay you soon.

Thanks also to those of you who took your valuable time to rip me. You help has been considered and given appropriate action.

And a very BIG SPECIAL THANKS

To Gary, Mike and the great guys at

:bow: DILLON :bow:

Edited by Ken Bird