Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder in Powder Measure

jeffroberdo

I would like to know how long everyone leaves the current powder you are using in the powder measure?

I have a Dillon SDB and can only load once or twice a week for an hour or 2 at a time. I can get about a 100

or 200 rnds done at a time. Is it safe to leave the powder in the measure for extended periods of time or

should i continue to return the powder to the container after loading that session?

Pistol Powder is like gold these days and cannot affor to waist any or ruin any.

I can't give you a professional's answer, but I leave powder in my powder measure for months at a time. I may load a thousand rounds then wait a month or two to load again. My belief is transferring powder (opening and closing lids) introduces moisture to your powder.

I leave powder in my measures all the time for extended periods. But, I load in a very temperature stable, low humidity environment which I consider a sound area to store the powder, I would think differently about storing in the measures if the powder was exposed to more pronounced temperature swings and high humidity.

Powder can only gain/lose a tiny percentage of its weight in moisture, not enough to worry about. Likewise, with the current plastics used for hopper tubes, while it may discolor eventually, the residual solvents in powder won't eat through the tubes any more. Just throw several charges through the measure, then confirm the throw weight before you begin reloading. Bottom line, you won't hurt anything leaving smokeless powder in the measure for extended periods of time.

In the measure

Use an old powder can (plastic) and cut the top off and slide it over the measure if you're concerned about the sun etc

i.e. Never have had a problem doing this since the 70's (including in a garage in Texas)

I believe the double base powders are much worse about reacting with the hopper plastic.

+1 Sorry guys, even if I'll be back loading at the end of the week, I have always dumped the powder out of the measure because of this and because of an opportunity to mix powders which is really bad. Since I started doing this 5 years ago, all of my new powder measures are clear as a bell. The older ones that had powder sitting in them for weeks, are cloudy. Now I do go to Dillon and trade those clouded one in for new ones when I can't see how much powder is left. But it does make a difference. Beyond that, as you age, your memory fades a bit. Sometimes you can't remember which 9mm powder you were using 3 weeks ago (especially if your machine cranks out 3k in one sitting).