Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 primer detonation

I’m at a loss how this happens. I’ve popped a few primers in the primer station (maybe going too fast and hit a non swaged piece of brass and forcing it), but that’s two inches from the primer stack with no direct contact. I’ve heard of this numerous times, but still can’t understand how it happens. Can anybody enlighten me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, James Abram said:

I’m at a loss how this happens. I’ve popped a few primers in the primer station (maybe going too fast and hit a non swaged piece of brass and forcing it), but that’s two inches from the primer stack with no direct contact. I’ve heard of this numerous times, but still can’t understand how it happens. Can anybody enlighten me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primer residue or “dust” accumulated in the system is the usual cause. 

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Primer residue or “dust” accumulated in the system is the usual cause. 

I push a Q-tip wet with alcohol through the mag tube (sp) or 223 patch (lp) every K or more frequently. Lot's of crud!

3 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

A can of brake clean never leaves my reloading bench.

You spray brake cleaner down the primer magazine?

What frequency do you spray it out?

I assume you are using non-chlorinated brake cleaner to prevent any corrosion?

Along with the brake clean is a roll of paper towels.  I'll make little swabs with the paper towel, soak in brake clean and send them down the primer tube with the black primer rod.  No real schedule but every few months.  I'll also take down the entire primer assembly every few months and brake clean the entire thing.  I will also wipe the case feeder with it and send swabs down the case feeder tube.

Yes non-chlorinated.  I love the stuff.  It's also great for wasp nests and killing ants.  The wasps just drop dead instantly.  I buy skids of the stuff.....not all for my uses.  I sell it at my biz.

I use alcohol and cut up cleaning patches to clean my primer tube periodically.

I like the idea of the brake fluid cleaner.  Use it on my pistols when they get really dirty, never thought to use it to wipe down the  ol'650

Edited by muncie21
Fluid and cleaner are distinctly different :)

9 minutes ago, DJRyan13 said:

Does brake fluid eat up plastic like Acetone? 

There is a big difference between brake fluid and break cleaner. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is safe on hard plastics.  

Basically a chain reaction. Had about 80 primers in the tube. Tube expanded and blew through. Had to hammer it out. See Also the retaining clip on the bottom was blown out. And the follower semimelted and then was billeted to the ceiling. Basically a large bang, kind of like when you hammer a hole box of caps at once. Lucky that everything went vertical and I wasn't above it. I'll see if I can post a picture

Damn dillons design, gonna knock an eye out with them XL650`s dang`it! 😜

I popped a primer once, 50yrs ago messin around. A hammer had a lot to do with it though back then.

Never popped any during any reloading session, ever. People should probably clean more often, and slow down and pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...