Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Can't Help It, I Love 10mm's!

gandog56

Had a Dan Wesson RZ-10 and a custom built Fusion Firearms Long Slide Hunter in 10mm. Just got an RIA Tac II in 10mm for some every day plinking. Quite a bit cheaper than the other two,

Pics when I get it.

• 2 months later...

If you don't mind the brass cost, I really do not see too much of a down side to shooting 10mm as opposed to say .45 or 40S&W. I really appreciate the bullet weight and velocity options too. I would imagine over all feeding is better with the longer cartridge.

Edited by JimmyZip

Brass is cheaper than .45 brass and only a few dollars more than .40 per 1000 if I remember right

Where??? .10mm brass is very rare on the East coast here and when it comes up, it's gone before you can say "brass".

Brass is cheaper than .45 brass and only a few dollars more than .40 per 1000 if I remember right

Where??? .10mm brass is very rare on the East coast here and when it comes up, it's gone before you can say "brass".

I was talking about new Starline brass which might not be the most fair comparison. Everytime I have looked locally, 10mm has been stupidly expensive.

Im on a 10mm fetish myself which started with a Gen 4 Glock 20. There's something about having a powerful cartridge in a shootable platform. The G20 sure holds a lot of bullets but the trigger and stock sights suck ass. Regarding brass I was able to snag some from Starline a few months ago. They were backordered but I had mine shipped in about a month.

next gun on the wish list is a Kimber 10mm, or a Smith 1076 if I can find one that's not outrageously priced.

Can't fault you one bit. The 10mm is an outstanding and flexible round. If I hadn't already sold off all of my components and dies, I would build another one. The only round I can think of that compares in flexibility is the 45lc in a ruger or similarly built six gun.

One of my favorite rounds too. Back when the FBI and other LE Agencies carried the 10MM I could find once fired brass. Now I buy Starline and try to find the brass at the range. Lighter .40S&W type loads are preferred in my 1911s'.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting in on a group buy in another forum. Starline sells nickel plated 10mm by the barrel for $177/1000, with about 8000 in the container. The nickel plated cases make it easier to find the empties at the range from the regular brass colored cases, I usually recover more of them per session. I ended up paying about $85 for 500 cases shipping included.

I hate the nickel casings... I have had issues with them being brittle and cracking/splitting on first loading with Underwood 10mm (which they replaced at no charge, awesome company) and on other occasions with different ammo brands in different calibers

These events didn't do damage but the recoil definitely felt harsher and in autoloaders there were issues with cycling/feeding

I'm really getting the itch to get a 10mm. At the same time I'm really getting the itch to throw down on an SVI. At the same time I'm pretty bored with my G19 daily carry gun. Perhaps a commander size 10mm SVI for carry? I think I could handle carrying the same old CCW for 15-18 more months...I also think it's about to get expensive around here shortly...

• 5 months later...

Hoo boy, now I done gone plumb crazy! I ordered a MechTech conversion unit that will use my Dan Wesson Razorback as a Lower, and now I'll have a 10mm carbine! Going to look something like this (But without that front pistol grip and flash suppressor).

Sample%201%20large.jpg

I have a dan Wesson on order. And just ordered a rock island ms 10mm. What kind of velocity do you expect to get from that carbine. I was pushing 1550 out of my glock kkm 6 in barrel. would be cool to hit 2000 with that set up your got.