Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spreader loads-- do you ever get to pick up multiple clays?

kuduman

I patterned Fiocchi spreaders in my M2. It shot donuts, which meant it didn't seem very useful for breaking the think I was, you know, actually aiming at. :)

Ive hit multiple clays before using regular shells with different chokes. Ive been pacing out the distances to targets lately and trying to get doubles based on that.

Clays are pretty forgiving since they usually only need one hole. To test my patterns i placed knockdown plates at different distances apart and saw what ranges and chokes I needed to be at to double.

Using a diffuser choke (kinda sorta similar to using a spreader) I can double 6" plates that are 8 inches edge to edge apart at 15 yards. at 10 yards they need to be closer to 6 inches IIRC. With a light mod they have to be 6 inches at 15 yards, and real close at 10.

Dont remember the exact numbers.

You need some constriction, at least Modified, to make spreaders work. Spreaders are hard to come by locally and expensive if available.

I like working out the angles to get clay and steel doubles. I tend to use an IC choke for everything and just change loads from #6-#7.5s for steel and use #9s for the clays. The lighter shot have a more open pattern.

I like spreaders, and I use them, but only when I want a tight pattern AND an open pattern on the same stage. Mod or IM even F make the spreaders work correctly. Kind of a waste in an IC or less choke, and it will have holes in the pattern.

So say some evil MD sets up an array of hoser close clays AND some 18 yard plates with no-shoots, or worse yet, 25 yard 6" plates. The spreader is the best choice there to be able to switch up, maybe avoid a position, etc. I would say that if you have to be precise to try a double, it is usually not worth the time added vs. just shooting both. Plan changes mid-stage can be disasters. I've seen a few tops guys get a double, and then still put a shot where that target would have been and not even realize they got the double...fast eyes and twitchy fingers. :)

But they have a cool name.

"Most shotgun targets when not hit are missed by feet, choke selection modifies pattern size by inches." Not sure who gets credit for that quote, but the truth is hard to deny. And the same would apply to the spreaders!

Well, that's what I wanted to know. Sounds like it's only worth the trouble in very particular circumstances. I'll just continue to blast one target with each shot. Thank you for the feedback; it's good to hear.

Changing the subject a bit-- it is interesting to hear about folks around the country changing shot sizes-- the matches around here (Atlanta) require 7.5 or smaller (except for slug targets). Also, from what I've seen here in Georgia, the rifle shots are always 100 yards or less, just due to the range limitations.

My AR shoots very sub-moa with good ammo, and I'm a long range kind of guy. If I get reasonably good around here, I'm going to see some of y'all out west... if it's under 300, I don't really need a scope, and where's the fun in that?

Kuduman

Has anyone tried a duckbill choke? It's suppose to flatten an widen the pattern, so you can hit multiple targets with one shot at the same height. If it works as advertised you should be able to clean a six plate rack with 2-3 shots. I guess it was popular in Vietnam with the troops.

Edited by gunther

I've seen shredder/spreaders/duckbills, but I know a bunch of MDs that like to put no shoots really close to hosers, to make sure you know your stuff. I never carried anything too fancy, but I always have a pile of high brass dove loads. I've used them to get a couple targets at once, or really reach out so I didn't have to move to a different positions. I actually shot them at about 60 yards to a steel that was designated Rifle target or shotgun to knock down, but didn't require slugs. Figured what the heck, had them left over in the tube and might be worth it. They turned out to be very worth it and worked great! not so easy on the shoulder though.

I'm with Pat and Mark. You might get to shoot them at a local match and get an advantage with a clay speed shoot, but most the major matches will have a spoiler target at 15+ yards. Trying to get a twopher with a spreader would just make me look back at a clay that would slow me way down. Maybe on the last two clays to save a reload (you could look while grabbing your matchsverz shell).