Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just signed up for my first major. What do I need to know to not be &#

I just signed up for the Double Tap Championship. This will be my first major. I've shot a few club matches but want to know what I'll need for a major. I'll be shooting single stack. Thanks for any and all help.

Make sure you really know the rules and make sure your equipment is really single stack...gun fits the box, weight, holster and mag position, and don't load from a front pocket.

Other than that,all the usual applies, have fun.

Make sure you know the rules

They will be a stickler for details & DQ you for any violation.

Run each round thru your chamber (plunk test) and make sure you make

major PF.

Be prepared for ALL weather possibilities and have food/beverages.

Squad with someone you know and respect.

Be safe, don't DQ, and have fun. :cheers:

I'm using a stock Springfield operator. Ammo will be factory since I'm not 100% certain of my own loads yet. How much leeway will they give on the mag pouch position. I'm just running a wilderness belt and a pair of 5.11 pants for now. I'm using two double mag pouches and the front one ends up about 10 o'clock on my belt.

Don't let the "major" match thing mess with your head. Shoot it just as you would an ordinary, average, monthly match. ;)

Dave is 100% correct. Just relax. You can key yourself up too much and not shoot well. Relax and enjoy the experience and the people.

I applaud you for taking the initiative. Many people keep waiting for "the right moment". The time is "now" :) I would chrono a random sampling of the ammo that you plan to use. I have seen factory ammo fail chrono many times, which means getting dropped to minor or shooting the match for fun (no score). Also, sounds like you'll have 4 mags on your belt? I have shot very few stages where 3-4 mags were enough. Don't just consider round count - consider stage break down. I always carry 8. You might want to seriously consider minimum 6. Bring twice the amount of ammo that you'll need to shoot the match. So if the round count is 275 - bring 550 rounds for extra shots and reshoots. Bring a back-up gun. I usually borrow one. Be familiar with it and make sure that your ammo will also chrono (I assume major?) through Gun #2. If you have fiber optics - bring extra fiber. Otherwise, know the shooting order and start getting ready when you're on the hole and Relax. It's just another match ;) Have fun.

I'm also attending the Double-Tap next month, and have never participated in a Level II. Not only that, but I'll be on the RO staff too.

I have no access to a "Chrono", and I plan on shipping out 500 rds of Winchester "White Box/Value" .40 ammo (Ltd-Major). Hoping I don't have any issues making major with that brand. (5" M&P). Got a deal on it at $30/100box.

See you there!

Shooting my first major next week, Area-1. Count on them being a stickler on your holster & mag position. Better to be safe than sorry. Do not touch any targets that have not been scored.

Area match is just like a regular match. Just more stages and elaborate designs. Just shoot it like any other match. I'll be at A1 also. Hope the weather is good.

Thanks for all the info. I have a friend that has a chrono. I'll run and see him and use his. I will be shooting major. Looks like I'll need some more mag pouches. My goals for this match are 1. Don't DQ. 2. Don't finish last.

Yes, good call on the mag pouches for single stack, cant have to much ammo hahaha. As for the match just shoot it like any other match and have fun! Also talk to people and make some new friends, thats my favorite part of bigger matches.

Mike and Chuck at Shooter's Connection are awesome ;)

Also, when you calculate ammo, match fees, travel, training, etc - spending $100 on a chrono is worth it - or get a handful of people to go in on one together. Factory ammo is guaranteed for the weight of the bullet - nothing else. http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Competion-Electronics-Pro-Chrono-Pal-P196.aspx