Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Average Build Time

robomanusa

my build time currently is 8-12 weeks. check out our full line of pistols at shootersconnection.com

there are plenty of people that frequent this site that could give you some added input on our guns and other builders as well.

Thanks, Is there any additional wait involved for custom serials or hard chroming?

Robo,

I would like to chime in and say it was an absolute pleasure to have Dan build my first open gun. He put up with endless questions on setup, load, comp material etc. etc. etc. He also does and equally impressive job of sending you pics of your gun at each stage as he is building it. His work is excellent and his prices are incredible. I don't think you could go wrong.

Good luck, Craig

My open gun from Dan is hands down the best gun I have ever owned (I have either owned, shot, handled, fondled just about all of them). And even at that his prices blow most out of the water. Dan takes great care making sure ALL the details are covered. After several weeks I would still find little detailed things that Dan did that I did not even notice at first. Other than his NY acsent he's an alright dude.

My Limited Blaster(s) took about 6 weeks from Kodiak Precision. Hard Chroming can add a couple of weeks. You might want to check with Kodiakprecision.com and check out his work.

Don Golembieski's prices are pretty reasonable considering the higher quality of parts he uses. He has done two for me and I am going back for more.

My first was a stock STI and the second was supposed to be a stock SV but it came out looking awesome!

My approach was to send him the frame(s) and I ordered the parts I wanted. The exception was on the SV, Don had to order the slide from SV. He can supply the parts if you want. He does not scrimp on the quality of parts he puts into the gun.

Thanks for everyones input, I haven't made a descision yet, it's a hard one to make! I like Bedells guns but like Brazos slides with the ellipticle lightening holes and of course its gonna have to be hardchromed and have a custom serial number.

Jon, Naw, I just whined alot and I think he got tired of me whining and crying so much. It was embaressing. Although he threaten to move DOWN the list several times. He actually had it built before Nationals so I could get some practice in with it.

The fit is superior but Don's trigger job is out of this world.

I am going for one of his Open guns next I think in 38 super comp.

Build time is a variable that can change greatly. An unknown 'smith can have a four-week turnaround, until he gets written up or a GM starts singing his praises. Then he gets swamped, and his turnaround becomes six months or more.

I know 'smiths who have dual lists: the short list is a hear to a year and a half, and the long list is five years. Yes, people wait that long, for their work is worth it. No, I won't tell you who they are, or I'll get dropped off the short list. :ph34r:

Guest Larry Cazes
Build time is a variable that can change greatly

Boy, I guess Im not on the A list nor do I know anyone on the A list of these smiths. The lead times my friends and I have seen from NAME recognized smiths is much longer then 6-8 weeks, more like 6-8 months at least. This is the main reason I went to a lesser known but skilled local smith to build my wifes .38super open gun. Great gun, continuing service and support, and an excellent professional as well as personal relationship was built over this project. Try to forge a relationship with a local lesser known for at least some part of your next project. There is a lot to be gained from it.

Larry is one the money with "try to forge a relationship."

When I had work done on my Browning HP I was working in NE. I took the drive up to met with Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide. He spent a couple of hours with me just talking about his work. When I purchased my BHP a month later, I had it sent to him and again drove up to talk first hand with him about what he was going to do to it. I have been very happy with the BHP and C&S.

I got to know Bob at Brazos during an Area match. He was a real gentleman, no attitude, just plain helpful. Chris S. was the same way (STI).

But I got to tell you Don Golembieski is the guy I have had build my custom guns. I am nobody special, at the time I was a D class Limited shooter, a year later I was a B. Don is a great gun smith, his work is outstanding. He is well worth the wait and his prices are reasonable.

I feel I have been pretty lucky to get to know some of these guys. If there is a local guy who does excellent work by all means go to him, otherwise a gun from one of the big dogs is more than worth the wait and money. BTW: it is still not unusual to have to send it back for some minor adjustments during the breakin period.

Try to forge a relationship with a local lesser known for at least some part of your next project. There is a lot to be gained from it.

Absolutely GREAT advice. This is exactly what David and I did when we bought our first guns. Alas, our local smith got quite popular, became a well known smith and then MOVED to another state!

I waited just about 6 months for Benny's gun. Then I blew it up and should have it back within a week or two. I think these good builders do get swamped but if your nice and don't bug them, they are more likely to get it to you sooner. I Plan on going down to Texas at my own expense for a custom build because I want to meet Benny and Larry who have been so helpful to a newb. But thats me, I tend to appreciate the people first and their resultant work second. Its all about connecting with people, who are genuine and straightforward in this sport.

I had a custom rifle built by JK Cloward. He quoted me 2 years but iterated that it could be less than 9 months if I never called him. I didnt and got it in 9 months. He said if I called he would move my gun to the back of the line. No kidding. I was in his shop ordering and he grabbed a gun and moved it to the back of the line as a demonstration. I will never have a gun built by him again, but the gun he built is perfection.

I am sure they get alot of people who are demanding and call alot, and this puts stresses on them. I had called Schueman as he lives by my brother in Hood River to see if I could stop by and say hello and I got a flat response of "No" with a caveat that he works 90 hours a week. Understandable. I was a bit miffed but got over myself. You have to respect their ideas of how they choose to do business. If you don't......go to the back of the line.

Dan, customer serial numbers dont add but about 2 weeks to our orders.

I am a GM but not a big name anymore. So the fact Dan is becoming so popular has nothing to with a big GM touting his guns, its about doing great work at a fair price. Word of mouth is whats driving his popularity. Tell you what guys when I have a gun built I pay Dan to build it. He doesnt do mine for free. Hey Dan why not? And I dont get put ahead of my customers , in fact i will put the customers in front of myself. thats just the way we do business. There is no "A" list or "B" list with us. And yes we have had some try to use some influence to get moved up. Well maybe some large cash payment will work :P