Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video camera to catch the action

I was interested in what you guys use for a video camera to film your matches. Not really interested in first person but more in somebody filming you. I don't wanna spend a 1,000 on it either but maybe under $200. I'm open to suggestions. Was liking at the JVC envirio because it can be had for under a $100 and has decent reviews.

Just seems like I learn more about my mistakes from watching second person.

If you are going to have somebody else holding the camera, you might want to make sure you get something with a good optical (not digital) zoom. The ability for your cameraman to zoom in on long range targets is really helpful to analyzing your distance shooting after the match. This may be a little over your price range now but, like most things 3-Gun, “buy once/cry once” is good advice. I bought a cheap JVC first and ended up getting this one anyway:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AR95H0W

31XcLCfYbBL.jpg

I use a flip camera. One power button and one big red start/stop record button. Very easy to hand to someone and have them video you. I also use a contour hat cam and I have a go pro on a rubber legged tripod that can wrap and hold onto anything.

I picked up a contour roam2 the other day and rigged a ear pro mount for it and a strap mount to wear over my hat. Works good for first person POV so far in practice. Has a standard threaded mount on bottom so it can be on tripod as well. Used tripod for some practice and it did fine for that. It's idiot proof which is great for me. At matches I'll pass along my iPhone to a friend to film as well for different perspective. Using the contour in first real match this weekend so will see how it goes.

Kodak Zi8 pocket cam. Really good video on 60fps/720p. Search for DVCMarkR on youtube for videos I took using it.

What ever you get make sure the camera can record at 60 fps...required for fast action/movement. 30 fps will be choppy.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it. That Sony HDR looks great and can be had fir cheaper if I choose a different color. Just did too much into my 3 gun budget too much. I might have to take the dive

If you are looking for a cheap camcorder with good quality check out the canon HF R400 you can get it for less than $200 and it will do what you want. It was discontinued this year so it may be harder to find. The updated R500 is a little more expensive but best buy has it on sale for 250 right now. Good luck. I use the contour camera mounted on my Howard leights i love it.

Just bought a GoPro...going to use for both first-person and third-person match coverage. Probably the most versatile option. Mount on your head, your gun, barrels, shelters or have some one hold it on a short pole for that birds eye view.

Just bought a GoPro...going to use for both first-person and third-person match coverage. Probably the most versatile option. Mount on your head, your gun, barrels, shelters or have some one hold it on a short pole for that birds eye view.

The go pros are nice cameras. Only thing that gets me is they tend to have a little bit of a fish eye look to the video.

The iPhone app on the WiFi-enabled GoPro models is really slick and works exceptionally well. Plus it streams a preview so you can ensure the shot is just right before recording.

Edited by KY1911