Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mistake in rule book

Sarge

Face and feet pointing directly (90°) away from the backstop with shoulders parallel to the backstop.

That one? Must have been written by an english major, lol.

That position reminds me of how ancient egyptians used to paint/carve people on their temples...

Face and feet pointing directly (90°) away from the backstop with shoulders parallel to the backstop.

That one? Must have been written by an english major, lol.

That position reminds me of how ancient egyptians used to paint/carve people on their temples...

All the old paintings on the tomb, they do the sand dance, doncha know..... :cheers:

The problem comes when you try to add some speed, because as we know, if you move to quick (oh way oh) you'll be falling down like a domino.

Edited by motosapiens

It's definitely awakwardly written. If back-stop is 0 degree, then 90 degree is perpendicular to it. Thus, if face and feet are to point 90 degrees away from the back-stop, then one would be facing up-range. 180 degree is parallel to the back-stop, and is also 90 degrees to left and right.

Directly would be 180 degrees, 90 means your feet pointing either left or right with your shoulders squarely downrange. Little twist to the posture there. :roflol:

So the phrase is correct, albeit a bit awkward. The back-stop is the anchoring orientation, not the shooter. Just look at a typical protractor.

What's incorrect with this?

Here is a super fancy drawing to illustrate the point

Backstop.jpg

Edited by justaute

In the context of the wording in the rule the the shooter is pointing directly away from the backstop. So if you look at the backstop and turn completely away from it you turn 180 degrees. Sure you can twist it to say the backstop is a line and the degrees are taken from that but the backstop to me is a spot in the bay

In the context of the wording in the rule the the shooter is pointing directly away from the backstop. So if you look at the backstop and turn completely away from it you turn 180 degrees. Sure you can twist it to say the backstop is a line and the degrees are taken from that but the backstop to me is a spot in the bay

Facing 0 degrees AWAY from the backstop would be facing it directly. Facing 90 degrees AWAY from the backstop is 90 degrees. Facing 180 degrees AWAY from the backstop is facing directly away the backstop, with shoulders parallel to the backstop. Sarge is right.

"Face and feet pointing directly (90°) away from the backstop with shoulders parallel to the backstop."

​If you were facing to the left or right, your shoulders would be perpendicular to the backstop, not parallel.

No, assuming the berm where targets are located is reasonably parallel to the back stop, you would face 180 degrees from the backstop and be facing the target area downrange. The way it is written your feet would be facing either right or left and your shoulders would be roughly parallel to the downrange berm and backstop.

Which part of "...away from the back-stop" is it difficult understand? In this case, the back-stop is the anchoring orientation.

The rule merely attempts to clarify a starting position.

So the phrase is correct, albeit a bit awkward. The back-stop is the anchoring orientation, not the shooter. Just look at a typical protractor.

Just to be clear. By your logic, a down range start would be 270 degrees, correct?

Edited by justaute

Which part of "...away from the back-stop" is it difficult understand? In this case, the back-stop is the anchoring orientation.

The rule merely attempts to clarify a starting position. Is basic geometry really difficult to understand?

Just to be clear. By your logic, a down range start would be 270 degrees, correct?

I'm grasping the geometry; I think you're just having trouble with the English language. Here is the rule: Face and feet pointing directly (90°) away from the backstop with shoulders parallel to the backstop.

If you are facing the backstop, how many degrees away from the backstop are you facing? 0 degrees.

If you turn 90 degrees, you are facing 90 degrees away from the backstop.

If you turn another 90 degrees, 180 degrees in total, you are facing directly away from the backstop. End of story. The rule is written incorrectly.

Edited by johnsons1480

My English? haha. That's a good one. I'll leave this to you all, gentlemen.

The rule merely attempts to clarify a starting position. Is basic geometry really difficult to understand?

I'm grasping the geometry; I think you're just having trouble with the English language. Here is the rule: Face and feet pointing directly (90°) away from the backstop with shoulders parallel to the backstop.

If you are facing the backstop, how many degrees away from the backstop are you facing? 0 degrees.

If you turn 90 degrees, you are facing 90 degrees away from the backstop.

If you turn another 90 degrees, 180 degrees in total, you are facing directly away from the backstop. End of story. The rule is written incorrectly.

Edited by justaute

Horizontal Line is the backstop.

You are doing it wrong. The zero degrees should be pointed at the backstop if you want to measure an angle away from it. You are starting with the protractor rotated 90 degrees from where it should be.