Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mistake in rule book

Sarge

What's incorrect with this?

Face and feet pointing directly (90°) away from the backstop with shoulders parallel to the backstop.

Here is a super fancy drawing to illustrate the point

Backstop.jpg

This is correct, When you are measuring angle of orientation, the shooter is the vertex of the angle. A straight line from the shooter to the backstop (perpendicular to backstop) is the zero degree reference ray. Then the direction the shooter is facing is the second ray from the vertex.

This is also why 10.5.2 refers to the muzzle pointing uprange as "further than 90 degrees from the median intercept of the backstop" not the 180.

Two_rays_and_one_vertex.png

I think this discussion should have stopped with the comment that USPSA was aware of the typo. But I am always game to beat a dead horse. Who has the stick? Pass it to me! Let's talk about the 180 deg rule and ranges that have bays that are not rectangles next.

Edited by IDPA-nut

So if I turn 1deg from facing up range and draw I'm good because I'm only breaking the 90deg but not the 180????

It's not a 180 rule in the rule book. Here is how it's stated.

10.5.2 If at any time during the course of fire, a competitor allows the muzzle of his handgun to point rearwards, that is further than 90 degrees from the median intercept of the backstop, or in the case of no backstop, allows the muzzle to point up range, whether the handgun is loaded or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which part of "...away from the back-stop" is it difficult understand? In this case, the back-stop is the anchoring orientation.

The rule merely attempts to clarify a starting position. Is basic geometry really difficult to understand?

So the phrase is correct, albeit a bit awkward. The back-stop is the anchoring orientation, not the shooter. Just look at a typical protractor.

Just to be clear. By your logic, a down range start would be 270 degrees, correct?

I'm grasping the geometry; I think you're just having trouble with the English language.

You picked the wrong dude to say that to. :roflol:

Edited by spanky