Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to pick which Glock backstrap to use

johnsons1480

I've been using the Glock Gen 4 Medium backstrap with the beavertail since I got my 34. I did a search and couldn't find anything, but how do you determine which backstrap you should use? My hands aren't really thick, but I have pretty long fingers.

With no backstrap, my fingers wrap around almost back to my hand. With a medium backstrap, my fingers wrap about half way back to my hand, and with the large my fingers get about a quarter way of the way around the frame.

I'm trying to figure out what would be best. With the large backstrap, I'm able to put more of my weak hand directly on the frame. With no backstrap, I'm gripping with my weak hand over my fingers. With a medium it's in between.

None of these feel noticeably different when I'm working the trigger, I'm just not sure what's best for grip. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kind of what I was thinking too Zack. Just like any other mod made to a gun for this sport. The timer, hits, splits and just plain feel will tell the shooter what works best

Pay attention to trigger reach. Getting your finger where you want for a consistent triggered pull can be helped by changing the back strap.

You may also notice that the gun may naturally point in a slightly different direction when holding it relaxed in you strong hand depending on the grip size. Make sure that you leave enough room on the weakhand side of the gun to get a good grip with your other hand.

Pay attention to trigger reach. Getting your finger where you want for a consistent triggered pull can be helped by changing the back strap.

You may also notice that the gun may naturally point in a slightly different direction when holding it relaxed in you strong hand depending on the grip size. Make sure that you leave enough room on the weakhand side of the gun to get a good grip with your other hand.

+1

- and another consideration, reaching the mag release. I know that I don't run a strap on my Gen 4 34 simply because I found that I was having to almost reposition my hand or stretch my thumb to activate the mag release reliably. But, it is always a personal thing, go with what feels best for you.

I shot with the medium for awhile, then went to the small. I shot several matches with it, but I felt like the front sight was lining up left (into the C zone at 7-10 yds) on the first shot from a draw. I went back to the medium (with beavertail) and feel like my draw/first shot accuracy and speed is the best it's been. I think the only way to figure it out is to experiment with drills and a timer like others suggested and see what works.

I went with the medium. Im not sure if you've shot any older gen glocks much, but to me, it seems fairly close to a gen 3 size wise and that's what I normally shoot. Granted I havnt taken a set of calipers to them to really see, but seems to be doing ok so far.

Use the strap that allows you to reach the mag release without changing your grip this should also put you in the best trigger pad position as well. From what you've said it honestly sounds like the no back strap may be great for you. You can probably reach the mag release and the slide release no problem and your trigger finger is probably in a great spot. The 1911 grip is slim and people love it because they can really grip it well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the comments. After finally making it out to the range, I settled on no backstrap. Problem is, I only have the longer trigger housing pins that are used with the backstraps. Does anyone have one they would like to part with? It doesn't make a lot of sense for me to order a $2 part with $4+ dollars shipping. Or should I just cut the longer pin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably already know this but the little clip that holds the back straps together in the box has a clip to hold another pin. Took me a while to figure out that was what it was.

Thank you. I did, but I lost the long ones before, so I ordered a few of them and stuck them in the clip. So I had two long ones in the clips, and a long one in the gun. Now I'm missing the short ones. I clearly have trouble keeping track of small parts!