Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder questions about Vihtavuori powders for ....

chopps

9mm.

Ok been usuing Hodgdon Titegroup,hp38,universal clays and SR4756 and there getting hard to find.

I shoot mainly 124/147 plated bullets from berrys and some FMJ ones to but stay in the 124/147.

Thinking about Vihtavuori powders ( kinda seen some around here recently is why ) and I see there are several like N310,320,340,330 and 350 and I see where it "seems" like the N310 or maybe the N320 would be best for IDPA from what I read here but wanted to get some specific answers in this thread form you all.

Maybe I need to use 2 diffirent ones for the 2 diffirent weights but I have no idea on this.

Thanks for any and all help

+1 for N320. 3.3gr of 320 under a 147 makes ~915 fps out of my 9mm 1911.

very good speed, I get around 900 fps with 3,5gr from my Stock 2 9mm...

I've been very happy with that load in my gun. Note my bullets are also coated (Black Bullets) so that could explain (assuming what I've heard about coated being faster than plated/FMJ is accurate).

used many pounds of N320 in both 124 and 147gr bullets, works great. It throws great in your press and I have had my standard deviation as low as 2 fps with my 147gr load.

It is expensive, but worth it. Quite frankly, it is doesn't really affect your reloading cost that much. It may add $0.01 per round. (~$20 more per 2000 rounds)

N330 is my favorite powder for 9MM and .40. Not too fast and not too slow.

The past 2K in 9MM have been 115 gr Berry's RN

{4.5" barrel}

5.0 gr (N-330)

1.120"

.379 crimp

CCI primers

New Starline brass

That combination has worked for me.

Has anyone seen variations from Lot # to Lot # with N320? Does your load change any when you open up a new jug of N320?

Nope. One time I went from an 8# jug manufactured in 2007 to one manufactured in 2012 without being able to measure a velocity difference outside of the normal (small) variations from cartridge to cartridge.

I am currently using n310 for both 9/124s and 40/165s at 3.8 and 5.0 respectively. However I am about out of it so I was lucky enough to get some n320 from powder valley last week. From my buddies that use the same powder the load variances between the two are very very similar.

Edited by Prov1x