Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm minor load for the STI Steelmaster.

SteelMaster

I recently purchased my first open comped gun and I am trying to figure out the best load for it. I read a topic about using Montana Gold 95 grn JHPs with Clays. I can not find any Clays, but I had some Titegroup and I am currently testing this load;

MG 95 JHP

5.0 grn Titegroup

OAL 1.05

I have only shot about 200 rounds, so far I like the way it is shooting. I was talking to a friend of a friend and he was saying that Titegroup is too fast to work the comp properly, that I needed to move down the burn chart too have a longer release to work the comp better. I bought a case of the 95 JHPs, so I need to stay in that lane for now. Any suggestions for minor loads that you are having success with shooting Steel Challenge. Please help this newb get started in this new world.

Thanks!

I used 700-X with a MG 124 JHP. IIRC, the powder was about 5 grains. Very soft.

Ramshot Competition is another good minor powder if you can find it.

Edited by remoandiris

If you want to use your titegroup powder then try this load. This is what I shoot for steel. This is out of a 5" barrel.

4.1 gr. TG

124 gr. MG CMJ

1.140 OAL

Federal SPP

139 PF

I have been useing Longshot which is a slow powder in my steel master and it working very well, just very noisey. It does not foul the c-more glass too badly and it is what I have been able to find.

6.0 Auto Comp..124gr Montana Gold...SPP... 1.116 COL....147 PF.. shoots VERY flat....

1.116?

Auto comp makes for a awesome steel load, so much I was beginning to think it was made for open minor. the 1.116 is the overall length of the loaded round. My load is a little different. 124/125 rn blue bullet. I load a little longer..

There are two schools of thought on Open steel loads:

-9 Major charge of slow powder with a light bullet (95gr over ~8gr AutoComp, HS-6, Longshot, etc.)

-Production charge of a fast powder with a light bullet (95gr over ~3gr of Clays, Titegroup, etc.)

The first load creates a bunch of gas to work the comp and keep the gun flat; it's loud, violent and slightly softer than 9 Major although with the small comp on the Steel Master, I suspect it will still have some muzzle flip too.

The second basically ignores the comp (I actually run a dot and no comp with this load); it's soft, fast and the muzzle flips just a little, then right back quickly.

Try both and see what you prefer (obviously if you need to knock steel down #2 is not an option :) )

I want the gun to shoot flat, regardless of the power factor. If I need a higher PF to do that, then so be it. Steel doesn't require a PF anyway, so I just go with a slow open powder with a slightly lighter bullet. The PF may be in the 140-150 range, but the gun shoots flat. I tried the 95 gr bullet, and even with a full 9 major charge it wouldn't cycle reliably.

Currently, I'm using:

115gr plated bullet
7.2 gr of HS-6.
1.170 OAL

Small pistol primer.

Man, I went super soft on mine.

124gr. Mt gold

1.1"

5.2 gr of IMR SR4756

Fills the case pretty well and makes 130ish PF it's a little bouncy but easily controlled. I use this for my 3-gun load and just carry it over for steel.

I really don't understand this train of thought. I understand there is no power factor in steel but I will venture to guess that most of the steel shooters are also USPSA shooters?

In my feeble mind I see a "FLAT" shooting gun to be of way more importance in USPSA than steel challenge.

Here is my thought process:

I only have to hit the target once is SC.

If I am letting the dot settle back on a target I have already shot, I will never win. I need to be able to call my shot and know when the dot leaves I have a hit and be moving to the next plate?

Why would I want to learn(assuming I use the same gun for both) two different impulse patterns caused by shooting two different loads.

I would really like to hear from the "BIG BOYS" if they change guns or loads to shoot steel challenge?

How bout it Max M, JJ, KC, BJ ETC: any help here?

Mildot

I have been analyzing what Max M has been using for SC and USPSA. Two different pistols. His SC pistol is a Sig Sauer single stack, lightened slide with two port comp. I swear it looks similar to a Steel Master slide. He even posted pictures on FB of it.

I'm no ballistics expert but I don't see how you can build up enough gas pressure in a minor or sub minor load no matter how fast or slow the powder is for the comp to work effectively ...? I think the comp on a Steelmaster is just there because it makes the pistol look cool ... :). In my Steelmaster I use 3.4g of 700X under a 115g Xtreme plated RN. I just chromed the rds yesterday and they came in at 101 PF and the dot hardly moves ... YMMV.

Nimitz is onto something here!

Comps look cool and provide nice barrel weights, but unless your charge is 7-9gr of slow powder the don't do much. Unless you've got tons of holes in your barrel that's going to be close to major with any bullet, so you might as well shoot steel with a Major gun.

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback! Since I started this topic, powder seems to have all but disappeared in my area. If the comp isn't really that necessary for minor power factor I will just work with whatever pistol powder I can get my hands on and use loads as light as I can while still being able to cycle the slide. I have a load for my production Springfield 5.25 that I am really liking right now;

4.0 Ramshot Silhouette

147 grn Precision Molly

CCI 500

1.130 OAL

Shoots soft and clean. I tried them in the Steelmaster, but they would not cycle the slide. I like the idea of lighter JHP bullets, same price as the 147 grn Molly bullets. I will just keep experimenting if I can find some more powder. I would really like to try the Autocomp. I have a few 1lb jugs left that I can try, Bullseye, Power Pistol, IMR 700x, Unique and Universal Clays. Hopefully powder will open back up by the time I get through these.

Thanks again! I love this forum, it is great for a new guy!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very close to buying a Steelmaster, spoke w STI tech support this afternoon - FWIW, they said the Steelmaster was designed around factory 124gr FMJ ammo ..............

It would seem 115gr would be more popular and more available, and 95gr hand loads would be best if the comp isn't effective.

Can a guy buy 9mm 95gr loaded ammo from any source (Atlanta Arms) ???

I just got a 1911 single stack converted into a 9mm open steel gun. It has a 3 port comp and the govt slide shortened to 4.5 inches and lightened. With the comp and CMore, it is actually lighter than my 9mm limited single stack gun. I have tried the following loads so far all with a 115 g MG JHP bullet loaded to 1.145 oal.

3.8 g VV N310 = 121 PF

5.5 g Win Auto Comp = 135 PF

6.0 g Win Auto Comp = 147 PF

6.6 g Win Auto Comp = 156 PF

I settled on the 6.0 g of Win Auto Comp load. It shoots fairly flat, the gun cycles fast, and the dot bounces up and comes right back into the middle of the CMore lens.

I had to get used to the noise level of an open gun but the recoil is very light. When I shot my limited 9mm single stack with the 121 PF loads after shooting the open gun, I thought I was shooting a 45! There was a lot more felt recoil than the 147 PF load in my open gun.

Edited by olemiss

for those that think that a comp on a Steel Master shooting minor... do this little experiment... stand next to someone shooting a Steel Master using a minor load

and put your hand about 12 inches over the comp.. it just might change your mind about what a comp on a Steel Master does...

I really don't understand this train of thought. I understand there is no power factor in steel but I will venture to guess that most of the steel shooters are also USPSA shooters?

In my feeble mind I see a "FLAT" shooting gun to be of way more importance in USPSA than steel challenge.

Here is my thought process:

I only have to hit the target once is SC.

If I am letting the dot settle back on a target I have already shot, I will never win. I need to be able to call my shot and know when the dot leaves I have a hit and be moving to the next plate?

Why would I want to learn(assuming I use the same gun for both) two different impulse patterns caused by shooting two different loads.

I would really like to hear from the "BIG BOYS" if they change guns or loads to shoot steel challenge?

How bout it Max M, JJ, KC, BJ ETC: any help here?

Mildot

Exactly. Plate rack match are the same way. If can't call you can't win.. Doesn't matter what the gun does after the shot your in transition Anyway. I like it as soft and mild as possible

3.9 grins of Wst behind a 135 bayou bullet is a great steal 9mm load.

I'm no ballistics expert but I don't see how you can build up enough gas pressure in a minor or sub minor load no matter how fast or slow the powder is for the comp to work effectively ...? I think the comp on a Steelmaster is just there because it makes the pistol look cool ... :). In my Steelmaster I use 3.4g of 700X under a 115g Xtreme plated RN. I just chromed the rds yesterday and they came in at 101 PF and the dot hardly moves ... YMMV.

Yep short and light with a super light slide and recoil spring