Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AFTEC FAILURE?????

dirtypool40

OK, back ground:

Gun is a custom, frame up, SV with ALL the goodies, including naturally, an AFTEC.

This is the fourth gun I have had this GS build with an AFTEC. My last limited gun by him went 70+k before I sold it. Ran like a raped ape.

This gun is fairly new, maybe 8k through it, and just broken in enough to be completely reliable. EXCEPT!!!! over my last two practice sessions it has developed a quirk of FAILURE TO EXTRACT malfunctions. The first one last week I wrote off as a one in a million fluke, but yesterday I had four in 300 rounds.

The bad news is I am down here with one freakin' gun and no way back to the GS until February. The good news is I had enough sense to have him fit an extra "dumb-ole" extractor when he built the gun. I popped it in yesterday at the end of practice and ran a few mags through it, and it runs fine. I am still baffled about the AFTEC though, and out the bucks for it.

any help....

I had the same experiance in an old limited gun. Check out the hook of the extractor. I had a small burr roll up from the bottom and prevented the hook from grabbing on to the case. Also check the extractor springs, as I had those go out, and gave me about 1 in 100 failures to extract.

Springs are new. I'll check for a burr. And someone is getting this thing back when I get stateside. (assuming of course things change with the regular extractor) ;)

I'll try the stretch thing. Never had this problem before though so I am reluctant to believe it will be the fix.

There are two things i would check. sometimes the relief notch beside the chamber for the tip of the extractor is not generous enough and when the barrel locks up it will come in contact with the bottom of the extractor hook. this can damage the hook or dislodge the hook from the case rim. also, if you have a removable breech face you should check to make sure its tight, if not take it out and clean everything up and re-locktite it. good shooting

OK, update.

Yesterday, I tore the gun down and cleaned / inspected everything. I called the 'smith and went through everything either of us could think of.

The breechface is tight, still lok-tited in.

The nose of the extractor does have a little wear mark, sort of light brownish semicircle like if I dropped the slide on a chambered round a couple hundred times.

There is no wear on the extractor relief notch on the barrel, or underside of the hook.

Springs are new.

With the top end off the gun, it takes a guesstimated 6# of pressure to slide a round up under the extractor.

Lastly, I reassembled everything with the REGULAR $20 extractor in it and the gun ran 100% for 300 rounds yesterday.

Anybody else got anything I can check, or did I just get a lemon?

everyone is thinking about the front end, what about the back end? is the AFTEC fit to your firing pin stop plate?? It shouild be able to "rock" on the stop. If it hasn't been fitted in this area it will also do exactly what you describe. e-mail up AFTEC and they can send you a diagram for releaving the F.P. stop. I would bet it just isn't clearenced in the back enough! Something to try!! KURT

BTW I might get down to Chille this summer for a job and if so I will try to swing through the "B" I will check on when you guy's might have a good match going on. KURTM

A week later and gun continues to run flawlessly with the "dum-ole" extractor in it.

As to the Front end, this is the third or fourth gun this 'smith has fit up with an AFTEC and the first that has had any problems. It is a snug fit, and will not freely rock back and forth. The channel in the slide is tight, so it's hard to tell, but the firing pin stop does not look like it's been relieved.

The gun is .40 S&W.

Just a thought, but have the extractor tunnel gauged. Mine (also an SVI) was undersized by just a few thousandths (.009 I think), and after reaming the Aftec installed much easier and has run flawlessly. OK, it was working before reaming, but the comment that yours didn't seem to have enough clearance to rock back and forth reminded me of my own tunnel trouble. More info here.

As for the firing pin stop, JLHardy showed me that fitting mine was no big deal. I just slightly relieved the front and rear edges a little with a stone and it works fine.

HTH,

...Mark

• 2 weeks later...

New in the continuing saga of the AFTEC woes.

The gun continues to run flawlessly with the "dumb ole" extractor in it.

The hammer cracked last week and I replaced it with my back up. It was the expensive "SH" model from SV.

The STI recoil master is perking along nicely and I have to say this is the best gun I have ever owned, handled or even seen. I love the way it moves, the trigger, the looks everything.

That being said, is it wrong to fall in love with something that seems determined to self destruct?

Now there is a chip missing from the breechface.

I am beginning to suspect the original slide machining from SV. The raised rib on the flat top was way off when they first sent it to me and the GS was able to fix it. In another slide and frame I bought from them about the same time the slide was so off we had to return it to SV for replacement.

New question, drifting my own thread; Is this a common problem with SV and could this type of poor QC and tolerance cause my AFTEC problems and breechface chip?

I have been a loyal SV shooter since my first high cap, but this is getting ridiculous. <_<

Where is the chip on the breechface?

Mine regularly breaks off the little ledge just below the extractor hole. The gun runs fine without the ledge so I just smooth up the rough area where it broke to prevent more cracks.

My first breechface was about six months old when it chipped, then went over a year with no problems from the missing ledge. This breechface broke the ledge off in about 2 months and has been running fine since then.

Nolan

The semicircle wear mark could be the culprit. I have had Aftec's contact the rear of the barrel when the slide is closed, it unloads the extractor and as the slide moves in recoil the extractor has to snap back into the extrractor groove on the brass. Sometimes the slide moves fast enough that the extractor misses the case.

the cure is to relieve the front of the extractor in the area hitting or relieve the area of the barrel that it is touching.

Dave

The semi-circle wear mark is from the brass rolling around the hook as it ejects - this is normal and a good sign. If the chip in the breechface is the piece under the hook that is probably your culprit. It allows the extractor hook to float up and down and you usually get erratic ejection/extraction.

If you get contact with the barrel you will get a peened spot on the Aftec and the barrel that matches - not a good thing.

Yes the chip is under the extractor.

No there does not appear to be a peening between the barrel and AFTEC.

With all the other problems the gun runs FLAWLESSLY, broken ejector, hammer cracked, and now breechface chipped, but the gun runs perfectly, slicker n snot.

My last SV (yeah, I know I am sounding like a sucker, even to myself) went 70k with no breakage of any kind or replacement of any parts except Springco (don't even get me started). Breechface came loose a few times during cleaning but never chipped.

Same guy built both guns, and has built at least four others for me. I know I sound like a lot of dogmatic customers who love their 'smith, but to me his work a beyond reproach. These are truly magazine cover quality guns that actually work like IPSC guns are supposed to. He does what I want, doesn't try to fit me into some package he alredy has, and will do little details that set the guns apart from the masses of high cap clones out there. Folks often say how IPSC guns are ugly but functional compared to nice high end single stacks with all the metal work, but this gun (and the others from this GS) are as gorgeous as any single stack, only with a scott grip, 'cause I like the feel.

Anyhoo, glowing endorsement mode to standby :rolleyes: ....The other slide that was WAY off, was another smith entirely, but who also does good work, so I am seeing a trend with parts, rather than shoddy work.

All that being said, I am driving this gun harder than I ever have used a gun before. This is the first time in my life I have been able to practice upwards of 700 rounds a week, often over 1,000. Could hard use speed up wear on things? Or is it bad parts?

New in the continuing saga of the AFTEC woes.

The gun continues to run flawlessly with the "dumb ole" extractor in it.

Why then use a multi$$ Aftec when the 'dumb ole' works fine? My SV runs flawlessly with the genuine extractor...multi K's.

If a concept works, leave it...it works for you :) 450 a week!