subject to the existing constraints on refinishing (cosmetic
only, no competitive advantage).
Special Notes/Clarifications:
• Any finish which provides a non-cosmetic function
will be deemed PROHIBITED. For example, a gun
finish which provides a roughened texture in an area
where grip tape is not allowed (Appendix E4) is a
PROHIBITED modification.

You would be fine refinishing a shiny finish to a full one as reducing glare isn't a concern. What's prohibited is adding something like a rough truck bed liner finish to the slide to give you grip on the slide over the slick smooth finish

I imagine that might also be questioned if you were to coat a bright stainless finish with a matte color finish, since it could be construed as reducing glare.

I really, really, really doubt that. That's a hell of a stretch.

You would be fine refinishing a shiny finish to a full one as reducing glare isn't a concern. What's prohibited is adding something like a rough truck bed liner finish to the slide to give you grip on the slide over the slick smooth finish

Yeah, that.

I agree it's a big stretch.

I've always wondered what other competitive advantages (besides texture) could be gained by refinishing. The way they wrote the rule, they list texture as an example, but prohibit any non-cosmetic function. Since it wasn't written only to prohibit texture mods, I guessed that glare reduction might have been something they had in mind. Perhaps a finish pattern that might be considered to aid in sighting, like a contrasting color line between the front and rear sights, would be considered advantageous?

Attractive arrows are what it's all about! :devil:

But I still think you may be stretching it a bit. Another advantage would be to paint the mag well so as to aid in inserting mags. That has already been addressed but that looks like it could fit here.

If you can see the frame between your sights you might be shooting a little high?

So it looks like we are back to texture being the likely reason for the rule. I'm sure somebody "painted" over some gritty material on the slide at some point. GAMERS!

As far as seeing the frame between the sights, I was hypothesizing being able to point shoot on close targets without having to bring the gun all the way up. :huh:

Like I said, I was having a hard time thinking of a reason other than texture. ^_^

Edited by JAFO

I know.

What does JAFO stand for? I was a scout in the Army and we had JAFO's on our Bradley's.

Just Another Friggin' Observer

Yep. That's what it was for. When I first discovered internet forums, it seemed a good screen name as I was exactly that. A lot of reading without a lot of contributions. I first heard the term in the movie Blue Thunder.

So If I wanted to get some crazy Lime metallic Green diamond plate concoction... where would I start looking for that type of thing?

Anyone have any experience with crazy paint colors on guns?

There is a guy around here who has his Glock painted up like Tigger, all orange and black tiger stripes. It kind of looks like he did it himself with spray paint, though.

Actually if you keep up with it you can just use good spray paint. There used to be a shooter around here who spray painted everything blue. Gun, holster, pouches, shoes, all blue.

To each his own I guess

I agree it's a big stretch.

I've always wondered what other competitive advantages (besides texture) could be gained by refinishing. The way they wrote the rule, they list texture as an example, but prohibit any non-cosmetic function. Since it wasn't written only to prohibit texture mods, I guessed that glare reduction might have been something they had in mind. Perhaps a finish pattern that might be considered to aid in sighting, like a contrasting color line between the front and rear sights, would be considered advantageous?

You might recall the huge controversy when Amidon/NROI ruled that adding White-Out or any other coloring to the inside bottom of the grip would result in a move from Production to Open.

I do recall that. At the time, I only had an orange dot inside the magwell to remove, so I didn't really think of that as refinishing. But I suppose someone could go so far as to actually attempt to recoat the magwell opening a contrasting color, which would be.

In considering that, would it be considered advantage to refinish the frame of a gun with removable grips in a bright color (e.g., white, blue, green, orange)? Once you replace the grips, which are usually dark in color, you essentially have a brightly colored magwell opening. At least, I would if I refinished a Sig frame like this (courtesy of my poor photo editing skills):

dc66f1cb-e0c0-4d9a-8604-b3684d87ae30_zps

This ruling is still in play.

Q: Can I paint a dot or arrow inside the magwell of my production handgun for a reference point and paint an arrow or stripes on my slide to help with alignment?

A: No, a competitor may not paint dots, stripes or anything to help them reload or align sights quicker, cosmetic finishes only as per 21.2a "this clause is now interpreted to specifically allow refinishing the frame as well as the slide, subject to the existing constraints on refinishing (cosmetic only, no competitive advantage). Item 22 also goes on to say that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications may not be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation which specifically declares that it is allowed.

Edited by Skydiver

• 1 month later...

So If I wanted to get some crazy Lime metallic Green diamond plate concoction... where would I start looking for that type of thing?

Anyone have any experience with crazy paint colors on guns?

I would guess that shops doing Duracoat or Ceracote could come up with something.