Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Accu Shadow Match Fit Barrel

razorfish

Am I the only one who thinks this 'accu' craze is getting a little out of hand? When a $500 CZ is fully capable of putting shots in the A zone at 20 yards I'm not lining up to spend 3-4 times as much money for small gains in accuracy...

The Accu Shadow is very cool, but I have to agree. I typically shoot 93-96% of available match points with my regular SP01 Shadow.

Am I the only one who thinks this 'accu' craze is getting a little out of hand? When a $500 CZ is fully capable of putting shots in the A zone at 20 yards I'm not lining up to spend 3-4 times as much money for small gains in accuracy...

+1. Finally... the voice of sanity! And SRT? My SA reset and trigger pull on my CZC 75 spo1 shadow is already almost TOO light and plenty short. When does this obsession with accuracy and trigger pull actually become dangerous for this sport? I have had, (and so have others I know) a few "unplanned" follow-up shots because I got sloppy or lazy with my trigger control. I wouldn't want mine any shorter or lighter for USPSA Production. It's not a bullseye competition, you know. My gun is already more accurate than I am, and I'm not a bad shot. Sorry, but just sayin'......

I'm guessing it's not for shooters like you and me, but for those contending for a Production title, where a 1% difference is worth whatever it costs.

I think there's not enough development done for competition guns in general, so I support this addition. I just wish more manufacturers not already supporting competition would enter the marketplace.

Edited by ummm

When does this obsession with accuracy and trigger pull actually become dangerous for this sport? I have had, (and so have others I know) a few "unplanned" follow-up shots because I got sloppy or lazy with my trigger control. I wouldn't want mine any shorter or lighter for USPSA Production.

I think maybe the dangerous part is individual, and what's dangerous for you or me is completely safe for someone else, so it shouldn't be for us to throw around general safety claims for all, but instead just be responsible for our own actions.

There are many guys who compete at very high levels, and have far lighter triggers than any Accu-Shadow could ever have, and they have never had negligent discharges in their entire careers.

I'm guessing it's not for shooters like you and me, but for those contending for a Production title, where a 1% difference is worth whatever it costs.

I think there's not enough development done for competition guns in general, so I support this addition. I just wish more manufacturers not already supporting competition would enter the marketplace.

My gun (CZC) is really nice but has neither of those mods. (SRT or Accu bushing) I guarantee you if you put it in the hands of a GM, he could win with it, even against others who had those mods. I'm not trying to turn away business from those who make a living suppyling these services, just agreeing with KA about the "craze". I'll shut up now.

When does this obsession with accuracy and trigger pull actually become dangerous for this sport? I have had, (and so have others I know) a few "unplanned" follow-up shots because I got sloppy or lazy with my trigger control. I wouldn't want mine any shorter or lighter for USPSA Production.

I think maybe the dangerous part is individual, and what's dangerous for you or me is completely safe for someone else, so it shouldn't be for us to throw around general safety claims for all, but instead just be responsible for our own actions.

There are many guys who compete at very high levels, and have far lighter triggers than any Accu-Shadow could ever have, and they have never had negligent discharges in their entire careers.

Not yet, anyway....oops, now I'll shut up. ;)

Edited by rack&roll

I been assured by the good folks at CZC that once the price on a 75 Shadow goes north of $2000 you no longer even have to aim... literally just point in the general direction of a target and squeeze the trigger. Now all I have to is add a couple more hundred to the price of the "CZ-75 Custom SP01 Accu Shadow Match Grade" pistol and I'll be a Grand Master in less than 30 days!

Sounds like a bargain to me. Consider all the money you will save in practice ammo alone :)

Edited by razorfish

That's funny - my tactical sports is like that. I just point in the general direction of the target and pull the trigger. It even patches the target at the same time because when I go look there are no holes.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

That's funny - my tactical sports is like that. I just point in the general direction of the target and pull the trigger. It even patches the target at the same time because when I go look there are no holes.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

LOL... I suppose I'll have to read the fine print... I'll check again and make sure the Shadow doesn't paste it's own holes too. Either way, using the CZ naming method to name this pistol can you imagine how long the name would have to be to describe the gun. That's got to be worth something :)

I wonder...does anyone actually have any data on the general degree of improvement in a gunsmith-fit barrel over a stock one? I imagine not, but it's an interesting question.

Think about last year's Prod Nats. Ben beat Dave by 22.2 match points for 2nd place. Call it a 1% difference. Could a better barrel have made a single percent of difference for Dave (assuming he didn't already have one installed)? How much would you pay for a silver medal, instead of bronze?

Heck, Matt beat JJ for 6th place by 1.0068 match points. Could a better barrel have made a 1.0069 match-point difference for JJ? That's not asking very much. Is it worth it for a 6th instead of a 7th?

Edited by ummm

I wonder...does anyone actually have any data on the general degree of improvement in a gunsmith-fit barrel over a stock one? I imagine not, but it's an interesting question.

Think again!: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188576&page=3 post #71

Thanks, JD, so the differences between the stock SP01 Shadow vs. SP01 Shadow CUSTOM vs. SP01 accu are just barrels? You are the expert, so I'm guessing you'll know down to the roll pin if that's true!

And the other link is truly great shooting, not questioning that at all. Questioning whether a gunsmith-fit barrel would make a "significant" difference in the shooting, and what "significant" might be, and what it might be worth ($$$) to various people in various contexts.

Lets not forget .... the Indian is more important than the Arrow

Def not questioning that. We're wondering about the difference in value of very high-end arrows vs common arrows, given the same Indian

Edited by ummm

Lets not forget .... the Indian is more important than the Arrow

Def not questioning that. We're wondering about the difference in value of very high-end arrows vs common arrows, given the same Indian

:cheers:

Thanks, JD, so the differences between the stock SP01 Shadow vs. SP01 Shadow CUSTOM vs. SP01 accu are just barrels? You are the expert, so I'm guessing you'll know down to the roll pin if that's true!

As I am aware the barrels are exactly the same between the SP-01 (I know Mike compared three Shadows, but I think there's value in the inclusion of the SP-01), Shadow and the Accu-Shadow, the difference being in the slides.

Here are the differences between an SP-01 and an SP-01 Shadow:

-Firing pin block (the Shadow doesn't have one, so in stock form the trigger pull is lighter with a shorter reset)

-The actual trigger (two different shapes and the Shadow trigger is drilled/tapped for over travel adjustment)

-The Shadow features upgraded sights

-The Shadow features extended controls (mag release and safeties)

None of these differences contribute to the inherent accuracy of the pistol (although a lighter, smoother trigger pull does make it easier for any given shooter to shoot more accurately).

The difference between a stock Shadow and a "Shadow Custom" is an action job preformed by CZC (also no related to accuracy).

Finally the difference between the Accu-Shadow and the regular Shadows is the barrel bushing in the slide: the Accu-Shadow has a removable bushing like a 1911 which allows a tighter fit between the barrel and bushing. In the case of the standard bushing it must be shaped in such a way that the barrel can be angled down enough to clear the breech face upon dis assembly; I have found that the fit of the factory bushing can vary slightly within manufacturing tolerances so since the accu bushings are hand fit one at a time they should be more consistent in theory.

I have limited USPSA experience as I only shoot local matches and the furthest shot I've ever been faced with is ~30 yards (but that was only once in two years), the bulk of the targets I shoot are 15 yards or closer, so for me, a stock service pistol is plenty accurate. If I were regularly shooting at targets past 25 yards I might consider an Accu-Shadow (and also interested in shooting Production which I rarely do...).

I disagree, to me, the more accurate the better. You may have to decide if the expense is worth the extra accuracy, But as more of these become available, cost will generally drop. Same for reset, the shorter the better for faster shooting seems logical and the cost for that upgrade is negligible. Guns are a lot like women, the fast pretty ones cost more, and they are worth it.

If you're looking to compete in Bullseye with 1911's, then a custom fit barrel, bushing, etc. is necessary to compete at the highest levels.

If you're looking to compete in USPSA production, then a hand fit barrel and bushing are not necessary to compete at the highest levels.

So are custom fit barrels and bushings for USPSA production guns "worth it"? ABSOLUTELY they're worth it. They're worth it for exactly that minority of people who can both afford to have it done and who care about the gun being as finely built/tuned as they can have it. It's worth it to them. Personally, I don't see how greater mechanical accuracy isn't always of some value in a shooting sport, but I know I'm in the minority in that regard.

For the record, while I don't have an ACCU-Bushing or hand-fit barrel, I do have a short reset disco in my 75 Shadowline, and I won't own another CZ without one. Was the difference huge? No. Is it necessary? No. Is it nice? Very. ;)

It is called the law of diminishing returns. When you have something that already is pretty darn accurate all you are left with is the ability to improve it incrementally, normally at considerable cost. The cost to "pretty darn accurate" is $500 or whatever. The cost to "stunningly accurate" which isn't much more, can be 2, 5 ,10 times that amount. Not just in this sport, in anything.

Do you need it? Depends on what you do. Shoot cans on the back 40? B class Production shooter? Top tier Bianchi competitor? Different answers for different folks.

Is the Accu expensive? Compared to a stock Glock, M&P, XDm, etc,, sure it is. But start upgrading trigger, sights, mag release, firing pins, roll pins, etc, to various polymer guns (and maintain Production status), and the Accu is not ridiculously priced in comparison based on all its stock features.

And compared to some of the Limited and Open gun prices, it's a steal.

Now will it improve your ability to hit alpha's? Maybe, maybe not. But it won't make you any worse.

Is the Accu expensive? Compared to a stock Glock, M&P, XDm, etc,, sure it is. But start upgrading trigger, sights, mag release, firing pins, roll pins, etc, to various polymer guns (and maintain Production status), and the Accu is not ridiculously priced in comparison based on all its stock features.

Agreed. Here's a Production legal XDm, maxed out by Rich's genius at Canyon Creek:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183736&hl=

It's over 1300 bucks, and worth every penny, imo. So the Accu-Shadow is in the same ballpark.

But the question in this thread isn't "is this gun expensive" or even "are expensive production guns worth it" (there's another thread specifically addressing the Accu-Shadow being 'worth it') it's about the value of a gunsmith-fit barrel, esp when the gun itself is marketed as being extremely accurate without a gunsmith-fit barrel.