Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Tactical" Pants

My basically brand-new pair of high-zoot "tactical" pants (starts with a 5 and ends with an 11) disintegrated yesterday. The fabric is so doggoned abrasive that the pants just tear themselves apart in the crotch (are we still allowed to say "crotch" on the internet?). Are there any near functional equivalents that actually have decent fabric?

Anything close, or should I just go buy some Carhart's and shut my whiny pie-hole? I really like the way the pockets work on the (insert name of tactical pants here) for hunting, but I can't justify buying 3 pairs of pants just to make it through one hunting season and a couple 3-gun matches.

Also, anybody had any experience with Cabela's house brand of upland bird hunting pants? (The kind with the nylon facing on the legs).

Thanks!

I highly recommend Cabelas 7 Pocket pants, in all variation. I own about 7 pairs of their shorts and 5 or so of their pants. One pair is the 3% Spandex one and it did me well at our 3gun match. I do not yet own the flanel lined version but I think I will shortly. Clearly I love the design or I wouldn't own so many pairs. They all wear well and the only problems I have seen with them is that a few have lost their button though that has more to do with my "shape" then with the pants.

What really rocks are the front pockets. The two main front pockets are HUGE but colapse well. I can fit 35 loose 12ga shells on either side and they dont jump out while running :wub: The knife pocket on the right side is also pretty cool and it actually holds my knife pretty well.

Try a pair. They are cheap too. They may not be your cup of latte but I like them.

Vlad

Nik -

I think I must put a lot more miles on than the average 5.11 wearer, I dunno. I'm going to call them Monday. I can't have put more than maybe 100 miles on these suckers and they're wasted beyond repair. Before I bought them, I just wore some Nautica dress slacks (that I got super-cheap) to hunt in and irony of ironies, they look brand new. They just lacked pockets for ammo and stuff.

:huh:

Thanks Vlad! I just might try a pair. :)

EricW,

Military surplus BDU's can be had in blue and black (thusly avoiding the dreaded camo problem)

Pockets galore, can be bought in cotton or ripstock (ripstop?) and are pretty cheap.

They are pretty comfortable for me and come with an expanding waistline B) (a definate plus for me this time of year.)

FWIW

dj

I've had fairly good luck with Brigade Quartermaster's "Combat Cloth" BDU pants. Although they have the stigma of the "combat" name, they are a tough but comfortable fabric.

No idea if they will pass the vaunted RhinoTest, though :)

Alex

Come on Kurt, you know the definition of "tactical". Take whatever, make it in black. Voila! Tactical! :lol:

Anyway, ditto Cabela's 7-pocket pants. For the vertically challenged, hemmed in the store while you wait, or to your spec if ordered online. There is a variant with some elastic in the waist. For those of us challenged in diameter.....

Lee

I will have to second Wakal's post about the Brigade Quartermaster BDU style pants made with "combat cloth."

Having worn real BDU's for 10 years in the military I was used to their utility but didn't want to wear camo. I started wearing the solid color BDU's and they worked fine. I used to wear the regular cotton ripstop kind but soon found they wore out very quickly. I tried the "combat cloth" version from BQ and have found them to be very durable. I wear them on a weekly basis and they hold up well to hard use and repeated washings. They are availble in different colors, I mainly use the tan, navy blue and grey.

If you want to give them a try, they sometimes have ones that are "inspector rejected" and sell for $20 instead of the $35. I am not sure why they are "rejects" but I have been wearing a few of them for years and have seen no difference.

Neal in AZ

For hunting I wear mainly Filson pants. You will not wear them out in 100 miles. In fact, you will probably be lucky to wear them out before you die. They are expensive. For hunting heavy thorn areas, go with some chaps. Mine are probably 10 years old and, except for a ravel or two near the bottom, are in excellent shape.

Cabela's makes a nice pant too.

I consider the 5.11's more a casual pant than anything else.

The wear in the crotch, is usually due to bad fit, meaning the length of the rise in the pants. Very few places will give you that sort of details in sizing. You have probably got other pants that don't wear in that area. I found the quality has little to do with it. Have cheap pants that don't wear in that area at all. Good pants that do.

Try a different brand, and hope they don't change spec by next time you buy.

some times customer service has those number and can tell you. Good luck. I imagine 5/11 can tell you what they use. That's a starting point

If I could get them in my size, I'd wear BDU pants in khaki and olive. That nylon-cotton blend is pretty rugged.

I have to made-do with whatever King-Size has in its catalog, but I'd really like to have cargo/BDU pants made with heavier canvas, like what Carhartt uses on some of theirs.

One more vote for the Cabela's 7 pocket stretch stuff. If you've never put on a pair you have no idea what you're missing when it comes to freedom of movement. Ok, so it sounds a little fru fru having "4% spandex" in your pants but it works, they look good, and no one has to know. ;)