Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo handling

uzi

Even if it were a DQabel offense (which it is not), it would be impossible to enforce unless you had someone at the safety area searching peoples bags, other belongings, and person.

In the bag or on the belt, okay. In the hand, not okay!

So long as you do not take your ammo out of the bag, or handle your ammo inside your bag you are OK. You may not handle loaded ammo, dummy ammo or loaded magazines or speed loaders at the safety area.

Jim Norman

yeah what he said, but you are probably better off either taking what you need out of your bag and going to the safety area, or taking your ammo out of your bag before going to the safety area, then there is not the temptation of "I need to move my ammo to get blank and it will only take a second". If you handle ammo even in your bag in the safety area, it is most likely DQ and see you later.

Uzi,

assuming you're speaking for IPSC rulebook, here you are the answer:

2.4.2 Dummy ammunition (including practice or training rounds, snap caps and empty cases), loaded magazines, loaded speed loading devices and live rounds must not be handled in a Safety Area under any circumstances (see Rule 10.5.12).

So, unles you actually handle (I mean touching with your fingers/hands) any of the above, you're legal.

You can have live ammo in your bag, loaded mags on your belt, whatever you have, provided they're not handled.

• 1 month later...
So, unles you actually handle (I mean touching with your fingers/hands) any of the above, you're legal.

You can have live ammo in your bag, loaded mags on your belt, whatever you have, provided they're not handled.

handle - as in touch any part of the bullet(s)?

there was a level 2 match here last year, one shooter didn't have a range bag. before proceeding downrange for stage briefing, he left his box of ammo on the safety area's table. he was DQd by that stage's RO. he appealed and the decision was overturned.

my logic is, ammo inside range bags and ammo inside ammo boxes are the same.

if this is so, then the stage RO erred in his decision to DQ the shooter?

As long as the shooter didn't not touch ammo inside the box I would let it slide. But would let the shooter know that there is no good reason for bringing a box of ammo into the safety area.

The best thing to do is to just bring the cased gun to the safety area and nothing else. ;)

[Mod Note: Edited post title to fix typo so it'll come up in a search]

Usually if I see somebody pull out a closed ammo box in a safe area, I'll say "don't do that, put that away" and not DQ them on the spot.

Places wherein the safe table has people downrange of it may need to be stricter. Ours are up against a berm.

9MX,

I was specifically referring to the box of ammo on the safe table ---- that's a no-no.  Next time I'll remember to hit the quote button or try to phrase it better.....

hi nik,

came across the rule interpretations at ipsc.org. its clear to me now. thanks! ;)

There was a level 2 match here last year, one shooter didn't have a range bag. before proceeding downrange for stage briefing, he left his box of ammo on the safety area's table. he was DQd by that stage's RO. he appealed and the decision was overturned.

my logic is, ammo inside range bags and ammo inside ammo boxes are the same.

if this is so, then the stage RO erred in his decision to DQ the shooter?

Hee he. :D I'll never forget the time Pat LeGere walked by a safety area and there was an ammo box sitting on the table. She was the match MD and no one was anywhere near the safety area. She just looked at me and said, "Is this some type of test?" :rolleyes:

I've actually found myself loading magazines in or around the safe area!

That's kinda like realizing you're driving on the wrong side of the road. :huh:

Consistency breeds Comfort breeds Complacency breeds Carelessness. I'm lucky there were no RO's....or fellow competitors around!