Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best way to do this?

Nimitz

So I have a bunch of brass from ammo that were light strikes (Tula primers) when I was working on a new load for my CZ. I'd like to reuse the brass but don't want to chance lighting off the primers as they are deprimed in station one. So what's the best way to render the primers inert?

I used a few thousand tulas about a year back and had high light strike counts. I just ran them through a different gun to see if they would pop (Hammer vs striker). if they didn't go off then I just took em apart and used the components as usual. I have stopped using Tula since.

Don't have a Dillon press but I would just de-prime them in my single stage press. They most likely wont go off and it's no big deal if it does.

You might have another die that would work as a deprime only die without any sizing. For example, a .40 or .45 die for 9mm brass.

it's the "most likely won't go off" that I'm trying to avoid .... kinda like "I probably won't shoot myself ...." I have a pretty sweet deal with my own private gun room in my house ... one detonated primer will ensure an end to that so I need a foolproof method ...

it's the "most likely won't go off" that I'm trying to avoid .... kinda like "I probably won't shoot myself ...." I have a pretty sweet deal with my own private gun room in my house ... one detonated primer will ensure an end to that so I need a foolproof method ...

If it has to be fool proof, throw them in a river somewhere and forget about it.

How many do you have? Do you have a single stage press that you could take outside for long enough to do it?

I really think you are no more likely to set one off pushing it out than you are pushing it in.

I'll trade you some cases if you need it.

Great approach - lot of guns will make those detonate - just trade them

to someone local who can use Tula primers.

I'd be happy to meet you at the Central Florida R & P Club near the

airport in Orlando and give you a 100 pieces of 9mm?? brass for your

primed 9mm brass. I'm there once or twice a week anyway. :cheers:

While I certainly don't mind trading my 'light-striked' brass, the idea of doing a 100 mile round trip to a range I really don't have any other reason to go to is not too appealing ....

Now, I'm at PMRPC 3-4 times every week so if any of you plan to be there then sign me up. Also, if anyone will be at Area 6 I'll be there as well ... Just like me know ....

well I went back & reread that atch since the first time I read it I thought water didn't really work ... since it appears to work I'll just throw them in my pool for a few days and then put my SCUBA gear on and go get them ... good excuse to get some bottom time with my equipment before my next trip ...

Water WILL NOT work... Soaking in WD/40 or a drop of oil is will kill a primer.

Note: I published a thread some time ago about this, but I had some range pickup brass that went in an Ultrasonic bath (Water and Dawn Solution) for 30 minutes. The next step for me is to dry the brass then into a tumbler for a final polish.

This particular evening I decided to use a heat gun to speed the drying process along. Well after a few minutes of the heat KABOOM! One of the cases I picked up must of had a live primer and gotten a little too hot. Obviously the 30 minutes of water soaking did NOTHING to kill the primer after it dried. I'm still scratching my head as to how someone dropped a piece of brass on the range with a live primer, but I learned a valuable lesson that evening.

So, again, water is NOT a solution

Water WILL NOT work... Soaking in WD/40 or a drop of oil is will kill a primer.

Note: I published a thread some time ago about this, but I had some range pickup brass that went in an Ultrasonic bath (Water and Dawn Solution) for 30 minutes. The next step for me is to dry the brass then into a tumbler for a final polish.

This particular evening I decided to use a heat gun to speed the drying process along. Well after a few minutes of the heat KABOOM! One of the cases I picked up must of had a live primer and gotten a little too hot. Obviously the 30 minutes of water soaking did NOTHING to kill the primer after it dried. I'm still scratching my head as to how someone dropped a piece of brass on the range with a live primer, but I learned a valuable lesson that evening.

So, again, water is NOT a solution

Did you look at the link I provided? 30 minutes isn't exactly an adequate amount of time.

Regardless, I don't think I would take a heat gun to any primers, shot or otherwise.

Edited by RDA

Water will render most primers insensitive as long as the primer compound is wet or damp. Once dried out they will once again be sensitive.

Sounds like you may have dried out the primer compound with the heat gun and then reached the ignition temp which set off the primer.

This thread is somewhat relevant to this topic, check out post #27 where I soaked Winchester small rifle primers in H20 and then reactivated them by drying.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168082&hl=primer compound&page=2