Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCO sized 1911 options for carry?

steviesterno

Hey all,

I'm really used to running 1911s or 2011s in competition, so I'm thinking about finally upgrading to that platform for ccw. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a hopefully light weight CCO style 1911 in a reasonable budget. I have tried to carry the full grip (SA Champion operator) and it ended up poking me a bit too much. I can't imagine holstering my Baer, (with it's dawson magwell and target sights, just makes weight in SS). My thought would be it would pull my pants down and bug me even with good leather, and the adjustable sights catch my skin when I'm wearing it for a match.

I'm also in Texas, so the hot weather prevents much in the way of outer clothing. And I'm at a point in my life where 380 just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Just looking for thoughts and suggestions? I would love to come in for the whole thing under $1k, but understand if that's not an option.

What do you guys all think?

Steve

Same logic. South Florida.

Carrying a Colt Gunsite CCO for the past 5 years. Light accurate and reliable.

The 7 round butt conceals well with lighter clothing.

Been trying to get a Glock 19 to conceal as well as the CCO -- no success yet.

May or may not be in budget:

STI Guardian

DW ECO

The STI would be closer to your budget but the DW is very nice. The Guardian is all steel. Not sure if you preferred aluminum framed or not. I own the STI but have shot both. Both equal as far as accuracy, but I give the DW a nod for finish.

I would be interested in checking out a Guardian, and supporting my new home state does sound pretty nice. I would prefer aluminum, but I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker. I have owned a DW and the quality really is second to none. Sold it when I needed some money but it was on par with a Brown I would say. I haven't seen one in the used department recently, if ever.

That's true, never hurts to save some coin. One if the reasons I want the 1911 is because I have holsters and some mags sitting around.

Just curious, why put a magwell on a small carry gun? Seems like if you're going smaller, save the trouble, no?

Helps tremendously with reloads. Doesn't really add any additional length when you account the additional length the base pads already add.

Also, from time to time I actually use my Guardian in IDPA matches. So the magwell comes in hand.

Let me tell you, 1911s are not as forgiving on reloads as 2011s are. =)

Hi. Bought a Rock Island Armory 3.5" 9mm last summer. Great gun! Put a magwell on it to allow use of 9 or 10 round mags (Wilson 25 bucks) and a set of CT laser grips. Never hiccups, jams, or acts up. Probably have about 1000 rounds through it so far. Accurate and nice looking. I use it all the time in our carry gun matches. Check them out...

Oh I know about forgiving reloads, that's for sure. was a single stack shooter with no magwell for a while. then I slammed my stupid hand one too many times and upgraded. I'm not super concerned about reloading a carry gun though. Just seems like a rare occurrence.

Any experience with a bobtail cut instead of a magwell?

Find a used DW CCO. Lightweight, accurate, reliable.

I have carried various CCO type 1911's for around five years, and they are my favorite!

I too have never seen the need for a magwell on a carry gun. It just adds length in the worst spot, plus it forces you to use mags with extended basepads, another negative for CC.

Here is a pic of a CCO vs. a commander bobtail.

001.jpg

Edited by Rimcrew

Check out the Springfield Armory EMP. I love mine!!!

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

I've shot te EMP and agree its a great gun and would recommend it for someone looking for a compact 9mm in a 1911 style gun, but it's not a CCO nor is it a 1911. Otherwise, nice handling gun.

Edited by v1911

hi ya, interesting discussion; I want to join in.

since my little carry gun went kaboom I am looking for a commander sized .45ACP to fill that hole.

at the same time I often use my gold cup for steel matches and if it goes south I am forced to change everything to a 9mm.

soo I thought why not a commander for both jobs. now the real questions; 1. is this smart? 2. steel or alloy?

Another vote for the DW CCO. Mine is great to carry.

Sheesh, a guy with the name Dan Wesson Fan voting for a wesson... this is my surprised face :surprise:

i really wish I picked one up before people realized how nice they are. I much preferred them as sub $1k guns, since they are easily on par with some of the best. Is there any way to pick one up at a deal anymore? I had a guy offer me a used CCO for $1600 last night :yawn:

Another vote for the DW CCO. Mine is great to carry.

Sheesh, a guy with the name Dan Wesson Fan voting for a wesson... this is my surprised face :surprise:

i really wish I picked one up before people realized how nice they are. I much preferred them as sub $1k guns, since they are easily on par with some of the best. Is there any way to pick one up at a deal anymore? I had a guy offer me a used CCO for $1600 last night :yawn:

Got mine for $1250 new one of the first 100 CCO's out. My new $950 PM9 was the best gun for the money I ever bought. Then they raise prices and I havent bought one since.

The used deals exist, but you have to pretty much stalk all the forums nonstop, or have RSS feeds/email notifications.

Unless you found a used one, they were never sub $1000. I bought three when they first came out, and I think the best deal I got was $1,250.

yep, the best price was at $1250 when the CCOs were new Edited by DWFAN

Check out the Springfield Armory EMP. I love mine!!!

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

I've shot te EMP and agree its a great gun and would recommend it for someone looking for a compact 9mm in a 1911 style gun, but it's not a CCO nor is it a 1911. Otherwise, nice handling gun.

An EMP is not a 1911? On what planet?

The EMP is a scaled down version of a 1911 built around the 9mm cartridge. Very few 1911 parts are even compatible with the EMP. Even the simplest things like grips have to be specific for the EMP.