Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over pressure in 38 super comp

JPG

While the primers look ok the brass on the left is a 9x23 comp which is Starline version of 9x23 Winchester. This case is tapered not straight wall like super and has a significantly smaller case volume due to a thick Web for use in unsupported barrels. I would not mix these cases. Not that any taper is left after running it through your Super sizing die.

While the primers look ok the brass on the left is a 9x23 comp which is Starline version of 9x23 Winchester. This case is tapered not straight wall like super and has a significantly smaller case volume due to a thick Web for use in unsupported barrels. I would not mix these cases. Not that any taper is left after running it through your Super sizing die.

Starline's 9X23 Comp do not have very thick case walls compared to the original Winchester cases, and do not hold up to high pressure in an unsupported chamber like the original Winchester brass (see link below). Case capacity of the Starline 9X23 Comp and 38 Super Comp in my possession is virtually identical. The 38 Super Comp brass I have actually handle pressure in an unsupported chamber better than the 9X23 Comp that I have, showing much less bulging with the same load.

http://38super.net/Pages/9X23.html

Thanks for the replies! Using Federal Small Pistol Primers. Chrono-ed between 1300 and 1310.

Reason I questioned it an because the primer dents looked a little funny.

Thanks for the input folks,

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Your firing pin hole in the breech face has been deburred (slightly) somewhat from the appearance. Won't cause any real issues. Does cause what you noticed around the firing pin indentation.

Work up slowly from there looking at the rounded edges of the primer.

Small rifles primers would certainly help as previously mentioned.

Edited by A63111