Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for good barrel for <$250

Ryan N

I am looking for a mid length 16" barrel that will give me sub MOA. I have been super happy with my hbar Wilson that came on my RRA. But after 6K rounds of Wolf, accuracy is getting a little bit sketchy. I will be mainly shooting 55gr projectiles. I am currently looking at:

CPWSA, fluted, 1-9 for $239

ICE Arms, 416R SS, Polygonal, .082 gas port, 1-8 $189(currently non in stock)

Blackholeweaponry, SS(no specs provided), Polygonal 1-8 $249

Any other suggestions?

I've done half a dozen CPWSA barrels. They're a good grab for sure. All were tack drivers. Only little nagging detail is that they don't polish the feed ramps. Other than that they're good to go.

Edited by co-exprs

Can you push it up to 270 and get a Nordic barrel. You will be very happy mine shoots as good as my JP barrel.

Pat

I'm only seeing 18" with rifle length gas systems. Those do look nice and the free shipping helps out.

I've done half a dozen CPWSA barrels. They're a good grab for sure. All were tack drivers. Only little nagging detail is that they don't polish the feed ramps. Other than that they're good to go.

Great to hear. Do you know what gas port size it has? I don't have an adjustable GB.

Great to hear. Do you know what gas port size it has? I don't have an adjustable GB.

If I recall correctly from MarkCO's comments (and he makes uppers with that Nordic barrel), the gas port is nicely sized for a non-adjustable gas block. The barrel port isn't over gassed.

It may not be in stock now but I have an upper he made for me with a 16" Nordic barrel. Sub-MOA shooter, proven. Fixed gas block.

I don't see it in stock at CarbonArms.us or over at Nordic's site (http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/product-category/ar-15-10/barrels/).%C2'> That's a pity because that is a sweet barrel (either length).

Yeah, I have 6k rounds of mostly bi-metal through my barrel and its showing signs of being worn out. The rifle has been fantastic and I don't really want to go changing gas tube, buffer, spring, etc. I'm thinking a simple barrel swap and hopefully I will be good to go. I have also reload rifle now and no longer shoot bi-metal.

Edited by Ryan N

If you are shooting bi-metal, get a CL 5.56 chambered 16" Del-Ton and be done with it. I get just about 1 MOA with Hornady steel match and still under 2 MOA with the crappy ammo you are running. No reason to shoot out SS barrels when you can get longer life and the same accuracy with a CL 5.56 barrel.

Another option @ $259 is the Ranier Select Medcon https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15/m16_barrels_rainierarms_selectseries

May not last as long as a chrome lined barrel, but likely more accurate, at a similar price. Out of stock, but should return as its a good seller.

Is ammo loaded with copper washed mild steel bullets capable of MOA?

Edited by mpom

I bought rainier barrel last year for $225. Feed ramps were so rough gun would not function until they were polished extensively. I don't like those kind of headaches.

Barrel shoots great though, once I got kinks ironed out.

Edited by Lead-Head

If you only shoot decent ammo, I'd suggest a Rainier Match Series for $259. I've put a few builds together with their 18" SPR and have seen great results. But if you're running bi-metal, follow Mark's advice:

If you are shooting bi-metal, get a CL 5.56 chambered 16" Del-Ton and be done with it. I get just about 1 MOA with Hornady steel match and still under 2 MOA with the crappy ammo you are running. No reason to shoot out SS barrels when you can get longer life and the same accuracy with a CL 5.56 barrel.

Just to clarify, I now reload .223. I no longer run bi-metal bullets. I use 55gr Hornady.

I have Emailed Chris Patty at CPWSA and am leaning toward his barrel.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Just to clarify, I now reload .223. I no longer run bi-metal bullets. I use 55gr Hornady.

They've got the upper, barrel, and gas block for not much more. I looked at that combination pretty hard before drinking the Nordic 18" Kool-aid.

They've got the upper, barrel, and gas block for not much more. I looked at that combination pretty hard before drinking the Nordic 18" Kool-aid.

The stripped upper is a smoking deal and you get a finished JP upper and gas tube also. I got mine with standard gasblock, but on a JP and sold the normal one for $30. Smoking deal and itll shoot sub MOA all day long.

1:9 is correct. 1:9 is all that is offered but fits my need very well. I don't plan to shoot any 75gr bullets although there are reports that 1:9 will shoot 75 and 77gr bullets just fine(actually, some fine, some not).

Edited by Ryan N