Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR 7625 replacement?

cworks

I am down to 3 pounds of IMR 7625 and it appears that it is being discontinued. Its all I know with my gun and with a SD of 7 while burning fairly clean, I will hate to see it go. What, if anything is close? I have read W231 is close if not the same powder but burns dirty...any advice?

38SC 3 port Schuemann barrel and a fairly large comp with 5 ports

With that barrel--I highly recommend 3N38(I know it will make PF with 121s and room to spare) I had the exact same barrel on a open gun.

I now use HS6 with 115s, but no barrel ports. HS6 is great, but never worked up a load with 3 port barrel.

I am shooting 115's as well. With 8 grains of 7625 I was at 171 PF. That being said I have never shot a USPSA match, only outlaw 3-gun and Steel Challenge. With powder being hard to find I will keep these options on hand but what is the closest thing to 7625?

I am shooting 115's as well. With 8 grains of 7625 I was at 171 PF. That being said I have never shot a USPSA match, only outlaw 3-gun and Steel Challenge. With powder being hard to find I will keep these options on hand but what is the closest thing to 7625?

define what you mean by "closest"....

If your shooting outlaw--Do they have a PF requirement?

closest meaning exactly like or equal to... They do not but I just went through a PCS move to Ft. Benning and you never know what I will get into here. I like the way the gun shoots with the 7625 so I was looking for something equal to it

Also, if your down there Ken Rose would be the guy I'd try to get ahold of he's pretty well established after his move to Benning and he should be able to point you in the direction of a good powder supplier and all the good matches that will be going on around there.

thanks...I was able to score 8 pounds online. I guess I'll ride the 7625 ship till it sinks

I'd be looking into more modern powders now. 7625 is fairly high on the burn-rate chart, (fast powder.) There are plenty of slower powders now that will make major and give you more gas with less pressure.

What sort of loads are you guys using with imr4756? Found an 8lb jug awhile back. Might have to start using it. Please PM me if it is against forum rules to post up load data. I'm assuming this is for .38s/sc Thanks for your help