Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions for CZ CTS owners

triggerman300

Hey guys/gals, I am looking for some feedback on the CZ Custom CTS 9mm. I'm interested in the pistol for 3-gun use. I've always used striker fired pistols but I'd like to step up to something like the CTS or a 2011. My hang up with the 2011 is that they seem to be finicky and unreliable. I've seen some that run well but I don't want a handgun that requires constant maintenance and $$$. So is the CTS reliable when fed good ammo, and is the performance on par or similar to a 2011? I know there are those who will defend the 2011...I know it can be a great gun and I know some of the best shooters in the world use it, but right now I'm just looking for info on the CZ.

I got a CZ TS in 9mm for 3 gun and have been setting it up similar to the CTS. Out of the box the trigger was 1lb 14oz. It ran flawlessly stock. After I put the extended basepads and large mag well on it I had a minor issue. The mags weren't seating properly so I had to remove some material from the magwell and extensions and then it was good to go. I also switched out the trigger, hammer and a few other things and after tuning the overtravel and pretravel the gun is 100% with anything I have put in it.

I had a TS (the standard one) which I had gotten a magwell, new oversized safety, hammer, springs, and such for. I also, got one of the Taylor Freelance base pads, which required extensive fitting (not hard) to make compatible with the magwell but then held 23 reloadable. After all was said and done, the trigger was stellar, almost too light for my liking, but with the factory main spring it was still just under 2 lbs. My plan was to shoot 3gun and shoot the occasional limited minor match with it.

After about 4-5 matches with it I found two things. First with my medium sized hands the grip just felt a tad too big. I would have had to file off the checkering from the front and back strap and had the frame refinished to hopefully get it where I liked it. secondly, the gun just felt over sized and too heavy for a 9mm. I do admit the recoil was very tame. I would have had to cut down the dust cover, to lighten the front end some. I also felt I would have had to lighten the slide to get the recoil impulse where I wanted it. It always felt like the gun just ran slow with 124gr minor loads.

I ended up selling the gun with all the parts and accessories I had into it at that point and I was able to get a tri-topped 9mm STI Eagle for the same cash. That gun just feels faster. The grip is nearly perfect out of the box for me. I will admit, my limited gun is an SVI, so I do like the 2011 platform. Also, many of the things I complained about are fixed from the start with the CTS, grip and dust cover length. Again much of this is personal preference, so I would definitely try shooting each before making a decision if you can.

Also, I took the common precautions with both guns, but both ran perfectly reliably in match use and practice. After the first few hundred rounds at least.

Good Luck!

3 gun pistol..

Look at CTS LS, built on the smaller frame 75 with long slide of the Tactical Sport.

use 75 magwell and short grips. personally I would go with DA/SA and short reset, but I know some still like the SA triggers.

SP01 mag with short ext pad and spring and follower kit 23-24 rounds.

That would be a cool set up. I really like the TS but it makes my SP01 feel like a featherweight by comparison.

Here's hoping that 2015 gives us a Production legal CZ long slide with all the trimmings.

I have a home-brewed CTS-LS in .40 and really like it. 75B/SA frame with Tactical Sport upper.

One advantage is that you can have a backup CZ75/SP01/Shadow/whatever that would use the same magazines and maybe even the same holster with a few mods.

I don't know what holsters are available, I'm going to cut the bottom out of a Bladetech to allow the slide to clear and go with that.

What is the advantage of using the smaller 75 frame?

In my case, the advantage was that I had one.

Also had mags, grips, sears, triggers, etc.. that fit the CZ75 pattern, all the way up to a spare lower.

Edited by tortuga

Unfortunately only one person that I know of in my area runs a CZ and its Shadow Tactical. As good as they look on paper I'm just amazed more people in the US don't use them. Anyways, what has been said about the TS/CTS large frame is a plus for me. I'm 6'5'' and have gorilla hands. I run the large backstrap on my M&P and it fits me well. Hopefully one of these days someone will show up at my local range with a TS or a CTS.

Any idea when you are getting more of the "CZ 75 Extended Base Pad Short" back in stock? (PN# 10187 if I checked correctly) -- I don't think you've had those in awhile, or maybe they just get snapped up whenever they are in stock? (or if anyone has six they no longer need :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart built me A CTS LS for 3 gun. The use of 75 frame than TS frame enabled me to have a lighter gun (lighter than SP01 shadow), be able to use the safety, trigger, mag release, slide lock and smaller grip that i'm used to already from my production gun shooting. It is practicallty as long as glock 34 in sight picture and barrel length. And with 23+1 mag capacity, I am not in a disadvantage anymore at tac-ops.

6" CZ uppers... now that's a unicorn that i'm trying to find. The closest is Tanfoglio Gold Match! But the CTS LS should suffice for now. I just want a longer sight picture and accurate weapon for those pesky 4 inch plates.

Edited by smoothdraw

Just for the record. Austin, one of the talented gunsmiths at the shop put your gun together Ray.

We have a talented group of gunsmiths working on the new builds, concepts , customer projects and parts development.

I would get a TS.....the full dust cover really cuts down on muzzle flip but some guys cut the dust cover to what the CTS is and they like the balance.....the SA is the way to go if you are wanting to be a competitive shooter.....but, like anything else, you will hear 5 different opinions if you ask 5 different people

I would get a TS.....the full dust cover really cuts down on muzzle flip but some guys cut the dust cover to what the CTS is and they like the balance.....the SA is the way to go if you are wanting to be a competitive shooter.....but, like anything else, you will hear 5 different opinions if you ask 5 different people

If you are cutting down a TS by yourself you can't go as short as the CTS because the serial number is close to the front of the frame. Mine almost touches the last number with this cut.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-5345-0-17958500-1390103625.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

3 gun pistol..

Look at CTS LS, built on the smaller frame 75 with long slide of the Tactical Sport.

use 75 magwell and short grips. personally I would go with DA/SA and short reset, but I know some still like the SA triggers.

+1 on this. I have the DA though. Great option.

3 gun pistol..

75CTSLS_logo0016_zps406a88be.jpg

6" CZ uppers... now that's a unicorn that i'm trying to find. The closest is Tanfoglio Gold Match! But the CTS LS should suffice for now. I just want a longer sight picture and accurate weapon for those pesky 4 inch plates.

What about the Tangfoglio Hunter in 6" ? It comes in 10mm maybe it can be converted to a .40SW and shoot Limited ?

What about the Tangfoglio Hunter in 6" ? It comes in 10mm maybe it can be converted to a .40SW and shoot Limited?

Yes it can, but unfortunately since EAA lost their collective minds with price increases what once was a $185 6" .40 barrel is now $321! I shot a Hunter for a little while and found it way too nose heavy (if you look at the 6" 2011 pistols, most have a lot of weight cut out of the muzzle end of the slide), I though about making a 6" .40 blaster out of it, but with the new price increase, you're talking $1,000 for the gun, $330 for the barrel, $300 for Henning's parts, $340 for mags, ~$300 for slide cuts and refinishing and you've got about $2300 into your 6" blaster. I just don't like Limited that much...

I couldn't decide whether to go with the CZ or the 2011 either. I got the CZ first because it was much cheaper, later I had a chance to buy a 2011. It only took a couple trips to the range for me to realize in my case more money doesn't = more better. I like not having to load long for the 40cal and have always had better luck with the CZ reliability plus they just fit my hand much better. YMMV