Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Purchasing just one 1911 (before they go off the CA-approved roster)

perpetualn00b

I was looking at the California-approved list of handguns recently, and I noticed that a lot of them are slated to go away fairly soon. I've never owned a 1911, but I've always wanted one. Ideally, I'd like to try USPSA with it (along with some of the other shooting sports). It would be used for home defense as well. Generally speaking, I'd like fixed sights and ambi controls, but those are easily swappable later on if they don't have it. The springfield range officer seems to be getting decent reviews, and the s&w 1911s (non-e series) look nice as well. An external extractor isn't a deal breaker for me.

My budget is around $1,200 (before fees). Would you guys recommend any others as well? S&W and Springfield seem to have great warranties, which is very important to me for the long haul.

Just go to your local gun stores and see what they have. While you are there ask them which ones aren't going to be renewing their status. As far as I've heard S&W and Ruger are the only ones that are letting their semi-autos expire from the list.

If you shop using the roster I think you will find many of them to be out of stock. It's just easier to go to your local LGS's and buy what they have.

The expectation dates on the CA roster does not mean those pistols won't be available after those dates. The manufactures just have to renew their CA permit for those weapons, I believe they have to be renewed every two years. S&W, and Ruger have announced that they will no longer renew any permits for their pistols so those will fall off of the list.

PS the Springfield Range Officer is not on the CA list.

Budah is right . Where in cali are you ? I know of one shop that does Single Shot Exemption in the OC area. Check out OC Armory . I got my STI trojan from them and bought it through Shooter's Connection. Luckily i beat feet and hightailed it out of cali so i don't have worry about it anymore .

Am thinking about getting another 1911 in your price range.

RO is good & STI Trojan is good, crappy triggers I have felt on the new ones irritate me. Very fixable, but you shouldn't have to, you are not buying a gun kit.

Others like the Dan Wesson's, my only experience is with their 9mm 1911's , 3 out of 3 would not feed and magazines would hang on eject on at least one of those. Was fun to watch my buddies cuss their pretty guns at matches though :). I think they might be like Fusion's, pretty but that is about it, could be full of it though.

Had a S&W, it never let me down in any way, sold it and probably should not have.

Am looking hard at buying a Sig Sauer.

2 cents.

I was looking at the California-approved list of handguns recently, and I noticed that a lot of them are slated to go away fairly soon. I've never owned a 1911, but I've always wanted one. Ideally, I'd like to try USPSA with it (along with some of the other shooting sports). It would be used for home defense as well. Generally speaking, I'd like fixed sights and ambi controls, but those are easily swappable later on if they don't have it. The springfield range officer seems to be getting decent reviews, and the s&w 1911s (non-e series) look nice as well. An external extractor isn't a deal breaker for me.

My budget is around $1,200 (before fees). Would you guys recommend any others as well? S&W and Springfield seem to have great warranties, which is very important to me for the long haul.

If the S&W Pro Series 9MM is on the list--See the classifieds on the forum. Just happens to be one for sale.

the companies do have the option to renew the experation date. just because you seen the experation date does not need they will not pay the fees to continue to be on the list.

but who knows?????

True, but both S&W and Ruger openly admitted to not renewing their status at SHOT show this year.

Just go to your local gun stores and see what they have. While you are there ask them which ones aren't going to be renewing their status. As far as I've heard S&W and Ruger are the only ones that are letting their semi-autos expire from the list.

cali has a law going into effect soon where all semi autos will be required to have a "magazine safety" disconnect and (I believe) the idiotic firing pin "stamp" where it stamps the serial number on the primer. Point is, nearly all semi autos will automatically be dropped from approved status unless and until they are redesigned to meet the new requirements. All the quals expire after a year, but very few will be able to requal.

the companies do have the option to renew the experation date. just because you seen the experation date does not need they will not pay the fees to continue to be on the list.

but who knows?????

True, but both S&W and Ruger openly admitted to not renewing their status at SHOT show this year.
They are throwing down the gauntlet and calling cali's bluff. Their strategy is that if enough gun makers refuse to accept the cost of complete redesigns (and just leave), cali's LE won't be able to get hand guns. I hope they back down and remove the new restrictions, but I doubt it. Edited by bountyhunter

It seems that Glock has stepped up and launched a court challenge against cali's new laws requiring mag safety and micro stamping. A ton of money is on the line for them, they supply about 99% of the LE guns here in Cali. The outcome may determine what guns are available in the future. The majority of gun makers will not be able to absorb the cost of a complete redesign just for a Cali model of their guns.

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2013/11/glock-steps-up-in-challenge-to.html

Glock Steps Up In Challenge To California's Handgun Roster

Glock, Inc. filed a amicus brief last Friday the case challenging California's handgun roster. The case, Pena et al v. Lindley, was originally filed in 2009 in US District Court for the Eastern District of California. Glock's amicus brief was filed in support of the plaintiffs' motion for summary judgment.

They start their argument by attacking the requirements for a magazine disconnect and for microstamping technology. The brief states that a magazine disconnect is a disadvantage in that a chambered round cannot be fired without a magazine in place.

They attack microstamping as "novel and essentially theoretical" technology which does nothing to enhance the firearm's safety which is the purported purpose of the handgun roster.

Edited by bountyhunter

cali has a law going into effect soon where all semi autos will be required to have a "magazine safety" disconnect and (I believe) the idiotic firing pin "stamp" where it stamps the serial number on the primer. Point is, nearly all semi autos will automatically be dropped from approved status unless and until they are redesigned to meet the new requirements. All the quals expire after a year, but very few will be able to requal.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

If a semi-auto pistol is already on the list before they can remain on the list if they are renewed. But if they aren't renewed they won't remain on the roster and can't be sold anymore. S&W and Ruger are letting their semi-autos that are on the list expire.

Any new guns that are not on the list will need to be compliant with the micro stamping law.

Stupid if you ask me.

It seems that Glock has stepped up and launched a court challenge against cali's new laws requiring mag safety and micro stamping. A ton of money is on the line for them, they supply about 99% of the LE guns here in Cali. The outcome may determine what guns are available in the future. The majority of gun makers will not be able to absorb the cost of a complete redesign just for a Cali model of their guns.

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2013/11/glock-steps-up-in-challenge-to.html

Glock Steps Up In Challenge To California's Handgun Roster

Glock, Inc. filed a amicus brief last Friday the case challenging California's handgun roster. The case, Pena et al v. Lindley, was originally filed in 2009 in US District Court for the Eastern District of California. Glock's amicus brief was filed in support of the plaintiffs' motion for summary judgment.

They start their argument by attacking the requirements for a magazine disconnect and for microstamping technology. The brief states that a magazine disconnect is a disadvantage in that a chambered round cannot be fired without a magazine in place.

They attack microstamping as "novel and essentially theoretical" technology which does nothing to enhance the firearm's safety which is the purported purpose of the handgun roster.

From the link you posted:

They attack California's claim that the burden caused by the handgun roster is minimal. Consumers are not able to buy newer - and presumably safer - handguns while at the same time older handguns on the roster are exempted from the mag disconnect and microstamping requairements. As they note, this serves to weaken California's argument that there is public safety interest in these requirements.

Roster and non-roster handguns are sold by private parties on Calguns.

Link is here---> http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=332

If you want a non-roster handgun find a dealer who does SSE or buy from a private party. You can get what you want in California (at least for now) but there are hoops to jump through and it will cost a little more.

I would get the handgun you want before the midway point of 2014. There is a good chance more laws will go on the books this year making it more difficult. Also panic buying will ensue when the general public realizes what is going on:(

My props go to Glock and the others that continue to battle the oppresion we face in this state.

Good luck in your search,

Keith

but who knows?????

They are throwing down the gauntlet and calling cali's bluff. Their strategy is that if enough gun makers refuse to accept the cost of complete redesigns (and just leave), cali's LE won't be able to get hand guns. I hope they back down and remove the new restrictions, but I doubt it.

Actually, LEO's are exempt from the roster requirements. Ruger and S&W are not pulling out of Ca entirely, they're just not renewing. It's a much less effective political tactic than what Barrett (major props the them by the way) did.

Roster and non-roster handguns are sold by private parties on Calguns.

Link is here---> http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=332

If you want a non-roster handgun find a dealer who does SSE or buy from a private party. You can get what you want in California (at least for now) but there are hoops to jump through and it will cost a little more.

You can buy a non-list gun on a private party transfer assuming the gun was already LEGALLY here in the state. It is not legal for any FFL to import a non list gun except for sale to LE. The PPT between cali residents is a face to face transfer between seller and buyer of a gun already here. No FFL can import a non list gun and then sell it to a private party.

You can buy from a private party but only if the gun is already here.

Obviously, the chances of finding the non list gun here is remote to non existent.

Edited by bountyhunter