Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is the Best Music Program for Windows?

Like a lot of people I'm experiencing a failure of my iTunes to burn CDs that has resisted every attempt to fix it. I'm fed up. Can anyone suggest a superior alternative in a music manager/player into which I could transfer my iTunes library? I'm running Windows Vista, BTW.

Have you considered music.Google.com?

You can upload 20,000 sings to them cloud for free and stream or download them from anywhere.

I also signed up for the $7.99 ($10 now) monthly music service where I can play anything from the entire store whenever I want.

Like a lot of people I'm experiencing a failure of my iTunes to burn CDs that has resisted every attempt to fix it. I'm fed up. Can anyone suggest a superior alternative in a music manager/player into which I could transfer my iTunes library? I'm running Windows Vista, BTW.

itunes, mac.

Not sure I can really decode the huge amount of information contained in your post. ;)

20k songs? Oh geezus. CD's? OMG! Windows? Not sure we can help you...

Other than that pesky "can no longer burn songs" thing I've picked up, iTunes/Windows has been working just fine for me, and my ever-growing music collection, for years.

Frankly I haven't used it in ages but it used to be the standard before iTunes came along. I really like Google Music now since I never have to worry about managing those 20k songs on local hard drives again. There is a local client to upload songs but the actual interface is from the Web browser so I can access it from anywhere. It is also definitely the way to go if you have an Android phone since you have access to all of your music from anywhere on your phone as well.

I have over 900 GB of music stored on a Tera drive. I am computer illiterate and can easily drag and drop from I tunes to the external and play with Windows Media Player. It will also burn CDs for me.

For my truck, I am lucky I have a Ford Synch system with a USB port so I drag onto a 32GB thumb drive and play from that rather than use CDs (I loose or break CDs too easily)

Latest group for me was Halestorm. but I have all types of music from Bocelli to Gogol Bordello which makes it rather interesting on shuffle

itunes, mac.

Yep.

But I think your basic problem is Vista. I know this seems totally non-helpful, but anytime anyone brings me a computer problem and I see it and Vista is involved, I assume that is the cause of the issue. Also how current is your iTunes version? That may need to be upgraded. But you're using windows vista drivers to run the dvd/cd burner and that could very well be your issue. Get windows7 if you can; it's what vista SHOULD have been in the first place.

I would say that was actually pretty darn helpful. My real concern now is I'm wonderig, if I switched the library over to WMP, would I be able to keep my individual files? I have well over 2,000 files, so recreating those woudl be a MASSIVE PITA.

How much does Windows7 cost - and how involved is the procedure to switch over?

I would say that was actually pretty darn helpful. My real concern now is I'm wonderig, if I switched the library over to WMP, would I be able to keep my individual files? I have well over 2,000 files, so recreating those woudl be a MASSIVE PITA.

How much does Windows7 cost - and how involved is the procedure to switch over?

As an example only. I have no connection to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-32-bit-64-Bit-Pro-SP1-FULL-Version-2CDs-NEW-/390773513449?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item5afbea9ce9

At one time you couldn't get music out of iTunes if it had the digitial rights enabled. Basically, if you bought it off of the iTunes store, you could only listen to it in iTunes. I don't know if that is still the case. I always used Windows Media Player.

I use Windows Media Player.. hated iTunes the way it named files - Media player (although configurable) lets you name the files as you'd like.. It may drive you crazy bringing files from iTunes now - with it's "Apple knows best" naming conventions

And I've always used open formats (MP3) for the sings, nothing proprietary

your mileage may vary

I had tried I-Tunes and didn't like the way it acted so I deleted it from my laptop. I don't remember it causing any problems as - if I remember correctly - all the songs, etc., were also on WMP. Anyway, that is when I decided I never wanted anything from Apple ever again.

When you go to WMP on your computer, what is there presently ???