Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should targets always face forward?

Thomas H

the Nationals I shot in Titusville were the US Steel Nationals, not the National Steel Challenge Championship which is owned & operated by USPSA. While they both use the same stages they probably don't follow the exact same rules ....

The only target that can be parallel to the shooters box and the backstop would be one directly in front of the shooters box, all other targets will be at an angle unless the backstop has the same angles.

If the shooters box(es) are considered to be a firing line, the response given from USPSA could easily be accomodated.

For what it's worth, I shot a steel match (non Steel Challenge stages) at a local club where the targets were parallel to the back stop making them angled to the shooter. The outer targets where at a little steep of angle, but not out of reason. The bay they were on had shorter side berms, maybe 8-10 feet high. They were having problem with the splatter coming off the outside plates spraying onto the bay next door pretty badly, including the main flattened slug, not just the spray. From then on out they start facing the plates to the shooter.

Targets that are directly facing the shooter allow the bullets to impart more energy into the target and this helps to better destroy the bullet. angled targets( or parallel with the shooters box) allow the bullets to come off at an angle to the side more easily, with less energy imparted into the target. .... Targets should face the shooter for everyone's safety.

The problem here is that while I agree that the targets should face the shooter, that there are numerous reasons for this, etc....

....none of that makes any difference to the real question, which is: How are we officially supposed to do it?

If they are all supposed to be parallel to the back berm, then so be it. I just want to know how to set it up so that if any of my local shooters go to a larger match, it'll be the same. (And if the targets AREN'T facing the shooter, on certain stages that is going to make a significant difference.)

Amidon tells us that they should be parallel to the back berm, except sometimes not. BJ Norris points out that on 5 To Go, he's always seen the stop plate facing the shooter. (And on other stages, too.) And it isn't like BJ is a new shooter commenting on a local match...

Well, when the official USPSA Steel Challenge Championships roll around, I hope someone can get pictures of the stages. <_<

I just want to know how to set it up so that if any of my local shooters go to a larger match, it'll be the same. (And if the targets AREN'T facing the shooter, on certain stages that is going to make a significant difference.)

Sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me. Where I shoot controlling splatter/deflection is a bigger issue if I'm going to continue shooting steel there. If you're that worried about the shape of the target AS PRESENTED to the shooter you can recut the targets profiles...

I just want to know how to set it up so that if any of my local shooters go to a larger match, it'll be the same. (And if the targets AREN'T facing the shooter, on certain stages that is going to make a significant difference.)

Sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me. Where I shoot controlling splatter/deflection is a bigger issue if I'm going to continue shooting steel there. If you're that worried about the shape of the target AS PRESENTED to the shooter you can recut the targets profiles...

Ah, no. If you hold a Steel Challenge match, you don't get to pick the shape of the targets. Oddly enough, those are specified in the rules pretty clearly. You don't get to change them.

And as has been clearly shown earlier in the thread, there is a significant difference in facing area if the plate are perpendicular to the shooter as opposed to parallel to the rear berm. And so yes, that will make a difference in terms of time for the competitors. And since we are now reporting scores to HQ, that's probably important to some people.

I figure that if our local club is holding a match, and we advertise it as a Steel Challenge, it should probably match how Steel Challenge courses of fire are supposed to go, yes? As such, setting them up like they do at major matches kinda makes sense, I'd think.

Of course, not everyone needs to think that way. People can certainly set up stages however they like. I personally, however, prefer to set up the official Steel Challenge stages according to how they officially are supposed to be done. It would just be nice to know what that is.

Given that I sent a photo of how we setup Smoke and Hope to DNROI and got the thumbs up on it I will continue to setup targets in that manner. We have shooters from our club going to the world shoot later this year and I've asked them to try and take photos of the stage setup there.

• 2 months later...

My inquiry to USPSA yielded this response.

---------------------------------------------------

Hi Pierre,

The stages should be setup as indicated in the rules, parallel to the shooting box which is parallel to the back stop.

John

Is there a reason you don't post the persons name that gave you this ruling ?

As has been mentioned here, targets have been seen setup both ways, a cut and paste from an actual offical of USPSA/SC

would go a long way, just saying.

(and I know the post is answered by "John", but John who ?)

Edited by 10mmdave

Could someone attending the WSSC please post pictures of the stages? Preferrably from an angle which would allow us to determine the targets' orientation to the shooters' box.

I did not take pictures - but I'm sure you'll see pics and videos posted soon.

Targets were not set parallel to the backstop. I have never been to a SC match where they were set parallel to a backstop.

Targets were angled towards the shooters box as they normally are.

Wow! That complicates things even more.

So we get a response from the head of NROI that says one thing, and they set it up differently at their own World Champs.

Not a whole lot of consistency there. Guess I am not surprised. USPSA hasnt shown any attention to SC since they bought it anyways.

Guess it's time for a published ruling, I believe I've seen it both ways also.

I've seen the question answered different ways. Amidon is retiring from this position (I saw it on FB). Perhaps when the replacement is on board we can get a ruling from the new guy/gal.

• 1 month later...

I don't remember WHERE I read it, but it clearly stated that ALL targets are to face the competitor to reduce chance of ricochet, this was from the original WSSF rules before it became "Steel Challenge". If the targets are parallel with the backstop, you will run into ricochets hitting spectators,, The only stages that are set up parallel to backstop is Outer Limits, and Showdown because of the multiple shooting boxes, This is the way it was done at the World Shoot!! Hope this helps.

Edited by greg9x21