Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for my first 2011 build

Nickoli

Alright everyone, for my second season of USPSA and 3Gun, I would like to get a new pistol. My FS M&P 9 that is also my carry has served me well but I feel it is time to step up in quality. I have been doing a lot of searching on here and other forums along with looking at suppliers and builders. A couple of the guys I shoot with here in MI have had Doug Jones from Acc-u-rail build their guns. Since he is a local guy and I really like the guns he has built for my friends I think he will be the builder of my first 2011.

I have been looking at the PT frames and feel that is the right way for me to go for my first build. Grips will be either PT aluminum or STI polymer, not sure what to do there yet. And that is as far as I have gotten so far. This is where the help from you guys who have shot more than me will help, I hope.

I was thinking of a 6" but think I will end up with a 5" and an extended dust cover. I’m sure I am going to go with a bull barrel since I want it to be a sight tracker. I like the idea of a 5" slide with a 5.4" barrel but I don't think I can use it in 3Gun because it is an "extended sight". I like the idea of the longer sight radius, but I don't think I like the fact of the extra weight transitioning between targets. I am comfortable with a snappier recoil, so I think a 5" with the lightened slide from the sight tracker will do just fine.

Are there companies I should look for or stay away from as far as internals? I am very new to 2011s and I have played around with my 1911 a little bit but still don't know enough about all the parts to put a full parts list together before giving everything to a gun smith to build it.

What are some barrels that you guys are running along with other internals?

I’m open to any and all suggestions; I will be doing more research over the next few days before I start a parts list.

By "second season" do you mean 2015? If you mean for this year, you may already be too late.

I don't know anything about Doug Jones' build times. But a lot of the top builders take a year - give or take a few months - to complete a 2011 build.

By "second season" do you mean 2015? If you mean for this year, you may already be too late.

I don't know anything about Doug Jones' build times. But a lot of the top builders take a year - give or take a few months - to complete a 2011 build.

Well, I am waiting for a call back from Doug, he was closed today when I called, to see what time frame he has available. If he can get it built halfway through the season I would be happy. That would give me time to practice with it and break it in before the MI state sectional, and my last 2 major 3Gun matches of the year.

Why not a complete 5.4 slide and bbl?

Who makes a slide that long, or would it be a cut down 6in? I would assume it would be an Infinity slide and bbl.

I know that the Strayers have a great opinion of Doug and his work......so it sounds like a good choice!! Gook luck and be patient.

Trace is right SV is a great choice. Shay at Akai also builds a nice 5.4.

Iike Trace said good luck and be patient.

What would you guys run for internal parts? I would like to have most of the stuff purchased amd read to assemble once I get a time frame and go ahead from.the boss lady. I know Cheely runs a lot of EGW parts, I was possibly thinking a SV trigger if I went with the PT aluminum grip otherwise ill get a STI, just want it to be a flat trigger.

Well im starting to put a parts list together and going to order parts soon. Doug said he can do it so im going to start looking for goodies.

What sear springs and hammer weight springs are you guys using?

Like I said, Ive never built one so im sure im going to be missing some parts once I get everything. Are a lot of the parts interchangable between the 1911 and 2011 besides the trigger?

Doug will tune the three leaf spring that releases the sear and resets the trigger.. I use a 17lb mainspring.

Most parts are interchangable. Thumb safety,grip safety etc... You will need a 2011 ejector pin. Its larger in diameter than its 1911 counter part.

When you say internals, I would consider that to be fire control parts. SV parts are a little more expensive, but Sandy and Brandon are great to work with. I dropped in a 1 1/2 lb trigger set up for my last fatgun that I built. SV is awesome. EGW makes great parts as well and George has been around longer than I. I would not hesitate on either company since both are true Pro's in the industry and George makes parts for other companies that may surprise you if you knew. He is that good. If you have Doug Jones that close to you, that is were I would go. Doug Jones has been doing this along time and his experience is tough to beat. Doug has helped me before and he is a true class act. He can make a very accurate gun, ask Jerry B.

Tommy Roupe THR Technologies/Roupe Grips

Yes I was refering to fire control parts. I did a rough parts list last night and a lot of the stuff is going to be EGW and SV.

I have another question now, what ramp is best for a 9mm, Clark or Wilson? I am going to order the frame from PT soon and would like to get an idea of what is the better ramp. Also im trying to track down a barrel but I think this is going to be the stopping point for a while unless Doug can get one ordered for me.

I was also looking at Shuemann barrels, and if I can find one, I would like to get one of their barrels in the 24 twist, that seems to be the good route for shooting the 124s.

EDIT: answered my own question about the ramp after reading a little more. The barrels are only offered in the Clark ramp so looks like that is what I will have the frame cut for. Anybody have a source for an Infinity barrel or a Shuemann?

Edited by Nickoli

PT is a great frame but I would check with your gunsmith before you buy, some builders prefer the 2011 frame and others could care less if 2011 is stamped on the frame or not. The only difference I see between them is in the used market where the 2011 stamp tends to sell a bit higher when built with high quality parts.

Well parts are starting to come together. Grip and magwell are at home, frame is being shipped. barrel has been ordered and slide is within my grasp. But I have a question. I am buying a 6in slide, and having it cut to 5.5, should I get a 6in guide rod and cut it down or just get a 5in? And should I get a longer reverse plug such as the Caspian for the 6in slides or will a standard length one work just fine?