Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan 9mm

Red Ryder

I recently picked up a new Trojan 9mm. today I took it to the range today and fired two types of rounds with it. 135 Grain Bayou Bullet with 4.1 grains of 7625 OAL of 1.135 with CCI small pistol primers and 124 Grain Montana Gold bullet CMJ with 4.2 Grains of N320. Both work flawlessly in my G17 and G34. BOTH of these loads did not cycle the slide enough to eject spent cases, and on the rare occasion it did, the brass just rolled over the ejection port. I have the stock recoil spring in it. Should I just drop the recoil spring weight down? To what weight? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited by Red Ryder

Went through a lot of tuning with my Trojan 9mm. Been running a 15lb main spring and tried several recoil springs at present using a 10lb suggest you check out the 1911 store and purchase recoil springs 9lb, 10lb and a 12lb along with main springs 15lb and a 17lb.

I'm using the stock STI fire control parts with a trigger job and the 15lb works out fine no problems using Winchester small pistol primers. Lighter hammer or harder primer may require a 17lb mainspring. CCI will probably want the 17lb.

My gun runs better and groups better loading a little longer 1.150. At present using 115gn plated bullets and VV320. Have tried bullets all the way up to 160gn that recoil like a 22.

You'll need to do a little Chronograph work to settle on a load. The Glock's will run a little faster because of the rifling.

Went through a lot of tuning with my Trojan 9mm. Been running a 15lb main spring and tried several recoil springs at present using a 10lb suggest you check out the 1911 store and purchase recoil springs 9lb, 10lb and a 12lb along with main springs 15lb and a 17lb.

I'm using the stock STI fire control parts with a trigger job and the 15lb works out fine no problems using Winchester small pistol primers. Lighter hammer or harder primer may require a 17lb mainspring. CCI will probably want the 17lb.

My gun runs better and groups better loading a little longer 1.150. At present using 115gn plated bullets and VV320. Have tried bullets all the way up to 160gn that recoil like a 22.

You'll need to do a little Chronograph work to settle on a load. The Glock's will run a little faster because of the rifling.

I will chrono first. Then I may have to visit the 1911 store. Damn!

The easiest thing is to change out the recoil spring. I'd try an 8-9'lb spring. As it loosens up, you can go back up.

The other thing you can while you're waiting for the springs is to put a bevel on the bottom of the firing pin stop. That will help the slide unlock easier with less energy. I think Brazos has an article with pics on his site.

Your load sounds close to minor, but as already suggested change the recoil spring. If your load makes 130 PF, you will not need a recoil spring heavier than 10 lbs. 9 lb is very common and some even like 8 lb, but get it broke in first before going as light as 8 lb. Keep it lubed and the action will slick up after you get some more rounds through it

in my stock sprung Trojan I have ran 110 PF 115gn loads that run just fine. I did break the gun in with 130-140PF loads then 9+p defensive loads for about 500 rds with just lubing it. Then cleaned just the bbl, and another 500 rds before a cleaning. This lapped the gun nice and since break in, I have had 0 malfunctions and shoot all kinds of ammo.

Hmmm....have you cleaned the gun? There could be something wrong. I don't know about the 7625 load, but the N320 load should have cycled the gun just fine. I have a Spartan and runs minor loads just fine.

4.0 gr N320 with a 124 MG RN at 1.165 is a single shot wonder in my new Trojan. Won't cycle the slide. Installed a 9 lb recoil, 17 lb mainspring and shortened oal to 1.15 and it barely runs. Switched to Ramshot Comp and have gone as high as 4.6 gr to get it to run properly. Haven't chronoed it yet due to weather here. It is the tightest STI I've ever felt with no perceived play between the frame and slide. 115 gr American Eagle is super soft and cases land on the bench right along side me.

I'm wondering if you got one of the slightly older production guns that came with a 12 lb spring. If you take the recoil spring and guide rod out of the gun, does the slide slide free on the frame or is it very tight? I'm running an eagle, which I believe is the same frame rails and above and it functioned no problem with a very similar load. Tossed the brass about 6-8 ft.

Edited by EngineerEli

Wolff's website lists the 9mm 1911 recoil spring at 14lbs. I ordered a 10 and 12 lb recoil spring. It also lists the hammer spring standard of 23 lbs for all calibers. I ordered a 17 and a 19lb main spring. I hope it won't stay a single shot for long. The slide to frame fit is hair less than my Les Baer TRS. I will change the recoil spring to 10lbs first, like Steve RA said. I probably limp wrist the gun a little, given my inferior hand / wrist strength, so my spring settings may have to be slightly lighter than someone else may require. On the bright side, I have had no Failure to feed issues,,,,,, but now that I mentioned this......

Edited by Red Ryder

Wolff's website lists the 9mm 1911 recoil spring at 14lbs. I ordered a 10 and 12 lb recoil spring. It also lists the hammer spring standard of 23 lbs for all calibers. I ordered a 17 and a 19lb main spring. I hope it won't stay a single shot for long. The slide to frame fit is hair less than my Les Baer TRS. I will change the recoil spring to 10lbs first, like Steve RA said. I probably limp wrist the gun a little, given my inferior hand / wrist strength, so my spring settings may have to be slightly lighter than someone else may require. On the bright side, I have had no Failure to feed issues,,,,,, but now that I mentioned this......

So despite what everyone here (some who actually own the same pistol) have advised, you're going to go off some general guideline put out by a spring manufacturer?

Regardless of what wolff lists, STI uses a 10 lb spring recoil spring (unless they've changed recently.) Also, 23 lbs for the mainspring is way too high. It might be great for reliable ignition and if you want a heavier trigger pull weight but you should be closer to 17 +-.

You're going the wrong way.

Edited by al503

So despite what everyone here (some who actually own the same pistol) have advised, you're going to go off some general guideline put out by a spring manufacturer?

Regardless of what wolff lists, STI uses a 10 lb spring recoil spring (unless they've changed recently.) Also, 23 lbs for the mainspring is way too high. It might be great for reliable ignition and if you want a heavier trigger pull weight but you should be closer to 17 +-.

You're going the wrong way.

I will also order a 15 lb mainspring and a 9 lb recoils spring in case you are also right. It's only money! I will let you know the results.

I have a 9mm Trojan and have been using a Sprinco brand 8lb recoil spring and a 17lb hammer spring from day one. I tried a 7 lb spring and that was a little too light for reliability. With the 7lb spring, ejection was still only a few feet with 130 pf ammo. One thing I have noticed is how tight the chamber or throat area is. Ammo that runs in my Glock or SV, sometimes won't work in the Trojan.

Straight from STI website

Q: What is the recoil spring weight in my gun?

A:

•Compensated pistols 8 pounds

•5″ 9mm guns 10 pounds

•5″ .40 S&W guns 14 pounds

•5″ .45 ACP guns 18 pounds

•6″ 9mm guns 8 pounds

•6″ .40 S&W guns 12 pounds

•6″ .45 ACP guns 14 pounds

I have an email in to STI inquiring about the factory weight of the main spring. I will update you as soon as they get back to me. After another range visit with a 10 lb wolff recoil spring, I had no failure to ejects. The gun might not like Montana Gold JHPs. The first round in the mags did not want to feed (OAL 1.135) (with Tripp Cobra mags). All ammo chrono'ed at 132 to 134 PF. Once the slide did not lock back after the last round was fired.

After a few back and forth emails with STI, My Trojan did come with a 12 recoil spring and a 15lb mainspring.

"From: "Houston Baker" houston@stiguns.com
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 7:54:22 AM
Subject: RE: Trojan 9mm

The stock recoil spring weight for a 5” 9mm is 12 lb and the main spring is at 15lb."

I will install the 9lb recoil spring that came in the mail and run it at USPSA practice tomorrow. Thank you everyone, for all of your advice.